[NA]Online death threats; Twitter[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
A young gal in our lives is getting racially-oriented death threats through Twitter.
The local police are impotent - they will only act if there is a body, it seems.
Twitter does not respond through their access portal (about 5 days now) and the threats continue today.
Apparently you can open (even multiple) accounts on Twitter and carry out these activities anonymously with impunity.

Any ideas?

If the postings are direct to her twitter account, kill her account.
Forget the local cops, contact the FBI immediately. Because twitter msgs are using the internet, this is cross-state lines and becomes a Federal issue.

Use of the internet to threaten “the person of another” constitutes a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 875 ( interstate communication of threat to injure) If it is communicated interstate, federal jurisdiction is created.

Please see the statute at the following link:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/875.html

To constitute "a communication containing a threat" under Section 875(c), a communication must be such that a reasonable person (1) would take the statement as a serious expression of an intention to inflict bodily harm (the mens rea), and (2) would perceive such expression as being communicated to effect some change or achieve some goal through intimidation (the actus reus). A message is a "threat" if a reasonable recipient would tend to believe that the originator of the message was serious about his words and intended to effect the violence or other harm forewarned, regardless of the speaker's actual motive for issuing the communication.

Any person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person with the specific intent that the statement made verbally in writing or by means of an electronic communication device is to be taken as a threat even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out which on its face and under the circumstances in which it is made is so unequivocal unconditional immediate and specific as to convey to the person threatened a gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution of the threat and thereby causes that person reasonably to be in sustained fear for his or her own safety or for his or her immediate family's safety.

It is not necessary for the victim to actually be placed in fear of imminent serious bodily injury or for the accused to have the capability or the intention to actually carry out the threat. The offense is completed if the accused, by his threat, sought as a desired reaction, to place a person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury.

The problem with these things is for people who know what they're doing it's either impossible or so resource intensive that it might as well be impossible to trace who is doing it. Even if they don't know what they're doing, it will still take some work. With all the death threats idly thrown out online by trolls there's just no way the FBI is going to put the resources into trying to follow up on it unless there's some other lead. If she has good reason to suspect someone she actually knows, that might be a different story.

If it is just unknown persons who are unlikely to make good on their threats, the best bet is honestly ignore it and block as need be. These people want to see the effects of their work- angry responses, hurt feelings, etc. If they don't get any response they may get bored and lose interest. I know that's not what you want- you want to get back at these people but despite all the dire sounding legalize and potential consequences the odds of actually getting anywhere are slim to none.

The problem with these things is for people who know what they're doing it's either impossible or so resource intensive that it might as well be impossible to trace who is doing it. Even if they don't know what they're doing, it will still take some work. With all the death threats idly thrown out online by trolls there's just no way the FBI is going to put the resources into trying to follow up on it unless there's some other lead. If she has good reason to suspect someone she actually knows, that might be a different story.

If it is just unknown persons who are unlikely to make good on their threats, the best bet is honestly ignore it and block as need be. These people want to see the effects of their work- angry responses, hurt feelings, etc. If they don't get any response they may get bored and lose interest. I know that's not what you want- you want to get back at these people but despite all the dire sounding legalize and potential consequences the odds of actually getting anywhere are slim to none.
On the contrary...if these people are targeting multiple people, then the FBI will take action. Best bet is to ignore, and file a complaint with the FBI. Never, ever be resigned to the problem and assume no one will take action. It's why the scum who do this get away with it.

Abandon TwittWorld as it’s become a huge time suck for most people. Their management has been caught lying so many times about things, it’s a wonder that people still seem to believe anything they say.
Getting threats from an online source and continuing to maintain an active presence there is a bit dumb.

The problem with these things is for people who know what they're doing it's either impossible or so resource intensive that it might as well be impossible to trace who is doing it.
This is too serious for even me to joke about. Otherwise, I would have a suggestion on how to get the FBI to allocate the necessary resources. But that would probably get me banned anyway.

I agree though, the FBI is your best choice here. They have the authority and the resources to tackle this, if they choose to.

The FBI will not react to this. It simply isn't 'big enough'.

BTDT.

.....and emphasize the racial-oriented nature of these threats with the Bureau...may raise it to hate crime status with them.

Getting threats from an online source and continuing to maintain an active presence there is a bit dumb.

Why is your avatar an icon of an aircraft designed to (in a very simplistic manner of speech) stand up to bullies, when your personal philosophy is apparently "give up and run away at the first sign of trouble?

Doesn't really gel... maybe you could replace it with a picture of a white flag?

Won't deleting an account prevent identifying the message sender? Or make it more difficult?

Why is your avatar an icon of an aircraft designed to (in a very simplistic manner of speech) stand up to bullies, when your personal philosophy is apparently "give up and run away at the first sign of trouble?

Doesn't really gel... maybe you could replace it with a picture of a white flag?

The Twittworld started out as a decent platform, but the management it has, allowed it to become a cesspool of intolerant hate. Say something that large numbers of keyboard commandos get their panties in a wad over, even if it's absolutely correct, and you will be treated in such a way that the devil would look to be an alter boy. We have a generation of kids and young adults that think if they are not part of that cesspool, that they are missing out or defective and can't seem to be able to function without lowering themselves into it. I have no need to be a part of something where the group think/mob mentality rules and operation management takes active participation in it until they get called out in very public ways.

If someone wants to and thrives in swimming in all that crap so be it. I would rather spend my computer time with POA and various other forums and boards that simply don't cater to or allow themselves to emulate cesspools like Twittworld. At my age, I tolerate a good discussion or argument on almost any subject, when it's based on facts or educated suppositions, but when it deteriorates into name calling, or threats, I'm done and gone. It doesn't matter which side or if both sides are doing it, I'm done, as they have lost control. Twittworld has almost none of that. When something is said that goes against the group think or collective determination, that person must be destroyed at all cost, as it threatens the group. Doesn't matter if the group is wrong or not, the other person must be destroyed.

If someone is so fragile that they need something like Twittworld to bring meaning in to their life, maybe they need to turn it off and take in a long drink of the real world and understand that even though there are some angry and abhorrent people that one can come across in the real world, the number is much fewer than in the Twittsphere. Probably half the kids I see that are near my own kid's ages, can't seem to function without their faces stuck into a device, no matter what is going on around them. It's quite interesting to see the changes in them when they unplug for a while and begin to see the real world around them and what it has to offer......

BTW... Get off my lawn!!!:p

I've never understood the point of Twitter, and probably never will.
Twitter is one of the platforms that actually seems to appeal to the older generation. I know very, very few millennials that tweet. Though it seems like a majority of the users are 40+.

But back to the OP, if it's beyond just internet bullying then I agree that going to the authorities is warranted. Deleting the account will get her out of the "public eye" for the time being hopefully sufficiently long for things to cool off to ensure her safety.

I don't use Twitter at all myself, but I know a lot of people get a tremendous amount out of it. If someone wants to use it, it's not for me to judge; and if people are being abused through its misuse, I don't think the solution is to let the trolls win and drive the decent users away. Any social media platform is ultimately what we make of it.

I don't use Twitter at all myself, but I know a lot of people get a tremendous amount out of it. If someone wants to use it, it's not for me to judge; and if people are being abused through its misuse, I don't think the solution is to let the trolls win and drive the decent users away. Any social media platform is ultimately what we make of it.

It's up to the platform owner to come down on the folks abusing the platform. If this young lady in fact receives death threats through twitter, the company should be all over this and work with their partners in federal law enforcement to get the perpetrator arrested. But they are too busy weeding out contributors who don't follow the company approved political line.

A young gal in our lives is getting racially-oriented death threats through Twitter.
The local police are impotent - they will only act if there is a body, it seems.
Twitter does not respond through their access portal (about 5 days now) and the threats continue today.
Apparently you can open (even multiple) accounts on Twitter and carry out these activities anonymously with impunity.

Any ideas?

Well I’d wager most are BS, people talk much harder behind a screen.

That said thinking the police are going to save you is a fools errand, as you have come to see, they have zero duty to actually protect you (many court rulings on this) and they mostly show up after and document and database how someone became a victim, it does make people “feel safe” so there’s that.

That said, as others mentioned just delete that spying garbage, Facebook, Twitter, all have very little positive to contribute, better off without them.

Real world, she’s her first and last line of defense, she should look into exercising her rights, the founders reaffirmed them in the bill of rights for a reason, getting her CCW (if required in some states) get a Glock 43, newer sig 365, or even a pretty old school Walter PPK, and learn how to shoot and carry (even if just pocket or purse carry) that would be a excellent idea for everyone, especially if people are taking hate towards her for whatever reason.

They might, at least enough to light a fire under Twitter's ass.

Rich

Unless she works for the government or in Hollywood, I highly doubt they really care.

Last edited:
Honestly, if the threats are only online and do not present a real world danger, turn the computer off. If someone on POA threatened my life, I'd just quit coming here. If you knocked on my door and presented a threat, then thats another ballgame. Don't let the internet control your life or your emotions. It would be a good lesson for the young girl.

Probably just a russian bot.

There's an easy fix for that. Uninstall.

Young'uns and not so young'uns need to realize how utterly unimportant these social media sites really are in life, and that cutting out something that causes them anxiety or stress simply because other lame brains use it for wrongdoing, will ultimately enrichen their life, not cause them to miss out.

Yes, I realize irony of me saying this on a social media site, but the fact is, if this site were to cause anything other than enjoyment, I'm out. That's how they must be treated. Our society has become way to engrossed in social media and holds it in way to high esteem. It's just fodder, that can be fun if used wisely. If it causes a problem, eliminate it.

I agree with @Katamarino about not letting the trolls win to a degree, but for crying out loud, it's just Twitter. Is that worth fighting over? Let the trolls have it and move on. There are much more important things in life to worry about.

I understand the desire to suggest unplugging from social media however I have been witness to its importance to a 19yo's existence and this is simply not a practical approach.
Here is a comparision which most here would get.
It would be like telling us not to fly because there could be bad things associated with it.

Is the twitstorm coming from known biological units? Are the same/similar statements coming in non-digital interaction?

If there is also bullying going on in real life you should for sure report it. The digital stuff is really just the extra charge in the indictment.

Don't minimize this. Even if it's just trolling (like people ****ing with me about Prince) it has an impact. And your "young gal" probably isn't in her 50's.

I understand the desire to suggest unplugging from social media however I have been witness to its importance to a 19yo's existence and this is simply not a practical approach.

So for todays 19 year olds, twitter has now risen to the same level as 'shelter', 'clean water' and 'food' ? Unless she HAS to be on twitter as part of a job, there is no pressing reason why anyone should expose themselves to this garbage.

It would be like telling us not to fly because there could be bad things associated with it.

Well, then she'll have to learn to deal with it, just like someone who wants to fly will have to put up with turbulence.

Unless of course those threats are actual threats from a real person with means to harm her. Then her parents should take appropriate precautions and the police should work on tracking down the perpetrator.

My Daughter is 19 and she has never had a Twitter account, or facebook. She will dabble in snapchat to keep up with friends. She has seen the damage done as a NJROTC Commander and wants nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
If someone values their social media interactions at the same level we enjoy flying then I would say they are placing to much value on social media. Just more evidence supporting a path of unplugging and living in the real world.

It would be more like telling us not to fly because there is an unsafe condition with the plane or the weather. I for one would not fly until the condition was resolved.

Hence the reason to show her how non-essential the social media actually is. It truly is not that important. Once she is free of its chains she will laugh that she ever allowed her emotions to become so addicted to it. It truly is a psychological addiction, with dangerous consequences.

And really this isn't an apples to apples comparison. Social media is more like a narcotic. When used in moderation and as directed it can be a good thing. But overuse and dependence on it is dangerous, both mentally and physically. Many younger people have gone as far as suicide because of social media, and that is a dangerous thing.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch the documentaries of Fyre Festival, and see how much importance the millennial generation places on social media. Its scary how much they are willing to spend to look important online. A friend was even telling me how the organizers of Burning Man are having issues with people only using it to help self promote themselves and their products.

Social media use is almost becoming an epidemic for the younger generation. When people start losing their lives over something so trivial, that is truly scary.

Well, then she'll have to learn to deal with it, just like someone who wants to fly will have to put up with turbulence.

Unless of course those threats are actual threats from a real person with means to harm her. Then her parents should take appropriate precautions and the police should work on tracking down the perpetrator.
This. Is it an anonymous troll or someone she knows in real life?

I would say they are placing to much value on social media.

I understand your opinion and agree with it. Sorry, but the young gal in question is entitled to her opinion of this and you have no standing to impose your values on her.

-Skip

Any ideas?

Stop reading Twitter?

Internet threats, twitter threats, phone threats. They’re all pretty much the same to the cops. They carry no ‘imminence’. I can’t really kill you over Twitter. So unless there has been something else, it’s just words on a screen

Last edited:
I understand your opinion and agree with it. Sorry, but the young gal in question is entitled to her opinion of this and you have no standing to impose your values on her.

-Skip

She certainly is, but then she will also have to deal with the consequences of her addiction, just like someone addicted to drugs or something otherwise as harmful. Make no mistake, social media can be just as harmful.

Did you miss that the girl is 19 years old?

Did you miss that the girl is 19 years old?

I didn't. When it comes to protecting her from violent attack, she is still her parents problem.

I doubt that at 19 she owns her own home and would have the resources to harden it against intrusion. Even if she gets her CCW and training, she is dependent on her parents providing firearm and ammunition.

If she was an adult, she would say 'screw Twitter, I'm out' and go back to work.

I didn't read all of the replies but I think going to the FBI is the first step. If you don't get any action from them, I'd call the local news crew and let them know it's racial.

I didn't. When it comes to protecting her from violent attack, she is still her parents problem.

I doubt that at 19 she owns her own home and would have the resources to harden it against intrusion. Even if she gets her CCW and training, she is dependent on her parents providing firearm and ammunition.

If she was an adult, she would say 'screw Twitter, I'm out' and go back to work.
I actually agree and understand all that.

But my point was brought on by a conversation I had yesterday (with a young lady) who said that kids today mature much faster than they did in olden (my) day. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. Most college grads I see today are less mature than high school grads in "my day". Unless you gauge maturity on the size of her bust or the number of sexual encounters they have.

I don’t understand the need to be on Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites in order to be in contact with friends and family. That’s what the phone and email and face to face time is for. I am only on some hobby, personal interest or industry specific types of social media such as POA. The generic all comers type of sites are just cesspools and just provide a way for idiots from the ghetto to high offices to express their stupidity, bigotry and hatred.

Back