<na> golden years plan

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Some of you know I don't have kids and honestly don't understand wanting them

I've been part of conversations of what I'll do when I get older and evidently not able to get around. Having kids doesn't guarantee that either.

What are yalls plan for when you get older?

If we become immobile/shut-ins, that’s what either home health care or assisted living arrangements are for.

Assisted living is too expensive.

Should I become immobilized in my later years without assistance -- I've decided I'll empirically validate this equation in my Hyundai Elantra.
upload_2023-7-8_17-29-47.png

Where Y0 will be approximately equal to the height of the Grand Canyon; v0 will be equal to whatever meager speed I can achieve with my 4 cylinder, and theta will be dictated by whatever ramp I'm able to build by cobbling together supplies from home depot.

EDIT: I realized my answer sounded calloused. The reality is I have no idea what I'll do, but there aren't a ton of great options that are affordable based on experience with other family members. Moving in with family is one option...

That is why I married a much younger wife...

Seriously, some of her nieces wish to move to the US. We will be getting them here and then she will have family that will give her a place to live after I croak.

Was always planning on the dog taking care of me. She's currently hunting down dinner. Not sure if it'll be squirrel or chipmunk, but Im gonna pass.

Some of you know I don't have kids and honestly don't understand wanting them.

Kids are awesome until they aren't. I have a 12 year old who's pretty good most of the time. Watching (and influencing) his development is amazing. But, occasionally, it is a real challenge.

As far as aging goes, SWMBO and I have set aside a reasonable amount of money for retirement and expect that to carry us to the end of our days. Hopefully our son won't be burdened by us as we age, but odds are, he will be. I think that's part of the cycle of life. As my grandparents aged, I helped them some. As my parents aged, I helped them quite a bit. I assume that our son will have a similar experience with SWMBO and I...

You remember that guy who attached rocket motors to his car and painted a hill with his charred remains?

Yeah, that seems like an economical and uncomplicated way to go...

No plan. Thought about getting one of those cyanide pills but I’ll probably forget what it was for and not take it. I’d just rather not have someone have to wipe my ass for me.

I recognize the economic imposition of a protracted life inside of an ALF construct is frankly ruinous for most in overpriced USA , myself included. To say nothing of the more indignant (to me) outcome of not being lucky enough to die quickly and of otherwise sound mind in one's own favored homestead. But I don't let that likelihood paralyze me from doing some nominal attempt at planning for that eventuality.

What I won't do, is suggest people shortchange their youthful years and income-enjoying life, just to be able to float on a ledger the what-if of a by-stipulation-unknown level of unrealized future medical expense. That's just a recipe to end up both sans the goat and the rope, for all your toiling in life. From where I sit, when you're too medically ^*&*ed to do anything about it anyways, the opportunity cost of an additional degree of indignity (state-care neglect being the implied cajole here) is rather costless.

Best one can do in non-progressive states is to have a standing DNR order. Beyond that, there's always commanding one's will in the ultimate sense, if one has the stones to give the state the one fingered salute.

Retirement planning should have nothing to do with whether folks have children. I don't plan to have kids, but if I did, I sure the hell wouldn't be selfish and expect them to handle my final years.

get one of these:

the-van.jpg

Just kidding. Props to anyone that remembers that prop.

My planning is along the lines of how I'm going to use the time I have while I'm still doing things. That seems more productive to me.

I'm childless too. My nephew once asked, "how come you look so much younger than my dad?" I answered, "because I don't have you."

Seriously, home health care is the goal. Senior living community (or whatever the latest term is) is the backup. Kind of depends on when, where, and with whom.

I'll finish up my life in Latam, final stop Costa Rica. Affordable, pleasant climate, and very reasonable in-home care.

You remember that guy who attached rocket motors to his car and painted a hill with his charred remains?

Yeah, that seems like an economical and uncomplicated way to go...

Suffocation, a large plastic bag over your head is a better option;
A. Super cheap
B. Doesn’t make a mess like many other options (guns, jumping off bridges, etc)
C. Most importantly, it gives you time to rethink your decision.

Retirement planning should have nothing to do with whether folks have children. I don't plan to have kids, but if I did, I sure the hell wouldn't be selfish and expect them to handle my final years.

Yeah, you might think that, but you didn’t have to deal with @2-Bit Speed during his teen years. Paybacks are hell...
:devil:

I recognize the economic imposition of a protracted life inside of an ALF construct is frankly ruinous for most in overpriced USA , myself included. To say nothing of the more indignant (to me) outcome of not being lucky enough to die quickly and of otherwise sound mind in one's own favored homestead. But I don't let that likelihood paralyze me from doing some nominal attempt at planning for that eventuality.

What I won't do, is suggest people shortchange their youthful years and income-enjoying life, just to be able to float on a ledger the what-if of a by-stipulation-unknown level of unrealized future medical expense. That's just a recipe to end up both sans the goat and the rope, for all your toiling in life. From where I sit, when you're too medically ^*&*ed to do anything about it anyways, the opportunity cost of an additional degree of indignity (state-care neglect being the implied cajole here) is rather costless.

Best one can do in non-progressive states is to have a standing DNR order. Beyond that, there's always commanding one's will in the ultimate sense, if one has the stones to give the state the one fingered salute.
As always, very well written. :D

I do agree with you. People shouldn’t put a sacrifice on their good years, in hopes of being better off when they get old and decrepit. I think it’s all about having a plan. At this point in my life, I really don’t have a standing desire for children, but that could change. When you consider the cost of living nowadays, adding a kid or two on top of it squeezes the wallet even harder. That said, I can understand the thought about being old and not having a kid or two to will your estate to or carry out your power of attorney.

Anyway, focus on becoming financially secure if you’re not already, create a retirement plan that allows you to live comfortably and let the rest just happen naturally. I think at-home healthcare would be a good route to go.

In-home is the plan, and my retirement calculations include money to handle it. I don't consider it my kid(s?)'s responsibility to deal with it, but in a way they kind of are since the estate will (I assume) go to them when we're gone, and that nut will be however much smaller as a result.

I mean, you could always fly to Costa Rica to meet Carole Baskin's husband.

I've been part of conversations of what I'll do when I get older and evidently not able to get around
All depends on how you personally define "getting older" and "not get around." My plan when I retired early assumed I would have an average health history and I put in place provisions for what I thought I would need as I age. I have no blood kids only rentals from the better half. While some of them may be in the picture I don't expect them to provide my care if needed. As such my plan uses my personal funds to support an in-house care route that will adjust as my needs change which based on my family history should not be at an early age but its no guarantee. Once I can no longer do for myself at home then its into a private care facility until the money is gone and then into Medicare/Medicaid funded facility. In case I can't think for myself no longer this same plan is spelled out in legal documents in which I have designated a select group of people to handle. Regardless, living life should be a priority and with a proper plan anyone can enjoy those formative years before they become golden.

Last edited:
Some of you know I don't have kids and honestly don't understand wanting them

I've been part of conversations of what I'll do when I get older and evidently not able to get around. Having kids doesn't guarantee that either.

What are yalls plan for when you get older?

I retired early.

I saw Dad's frustration with his own health as he aged and his diminished physical capabiliites.

I decided to learn from the experiences of other people and take advantage of the fact that I have enough to live on... I'm not rich, but I have enough. I certainly left money on the table, but it was worth the price to essentially buy a seven year vacation before retirement age.

I decided to learn from the experiences of other people and take advantage of the fact that I have enough to live on... I'm not rich, but I have enough. I certainly left money on the table, but it was worth the price to essentially buy a seven year vacation before retirement age.
Good for you! I was very happy that my pops adopted the same mindset. I had many conversations with my dad and saw him torturing himself during the last 5 years of his career debating whether or not to leave money on the table and take an early retirement. Work was contributing to massive stress, only forecasted to get worse, and was starting to be a root cause behind a lot of health problems (afib). Since he retired and started working on his hobbies he has told me no less than 50x how this was the right route, even if he does have to be a little more frugal. Living life, even if on a more constrained budget beats working yourself into the grave. There's no extra credit points for doing the latter.

:yeahthat:

Amen and amen.

I, too, retired a bit early. I bailed out in 2021 at age 59. Several colleagues who retired before me, including our company's former chief engineer for whom I have tremendous respect, advised me, "Don't wait. Get out as soon as you're able. I waited way too long."

By the time I retired, my pension had hit its cap. Staying a few more years would have put a bit more into the 401k and let it grow some, but I didn't feel it was worth it. I did my own financial analysis and met with several planners who did theirs, and all of us agreed that I could retire and continue receiving approximately the same net income, so I was working for free. I saw no point whatsoever in giving Lockheed several more years of my life for free.

It took most of the first year for me to decompress. I didn't really understand how much the job was taking out of me until I'd been away from it for a while. My blood pressure is better now, I'm sleeping well again, and over all I just feel a whole lot better.

I've seen far too many people keep working until their health failed and never get to enjoy the fruits of their labor. One of my colleagues retired just after Memorial Day in 2020, died of a heart attack over Labor Day weekend. That was quite the eye opener.

My life would be a lot poorer (I don't mean financially) without kids. Not that I'm a "kid person", I'm not, but now our thirtysomething daughters (and their husbands) are our good friends. And we treasure our (so far only one) granddaughter.

My own parents didn't need much assistance as they aged, but we took care of my mother in law through her dementia. Not easy, but part of life.

Even any that have kids, not much expectations of them taking care of anyone. Yes, that would vary with individuals in question.

Just wanted to point out that if everyone just saved money for retirement and don’t have kids, there would be no one to take the money to take care of the old folks.

Just wanted to point out that if everyone just saved money for retirement and don’t have kids, there would be no one to take the money to take care of the old folks.

I think I finally figured out the reason why the people making AI want it to be "human". They'd rather make robots instead of have kids and deal with parenting them into productive adults. :yikes:

"Don't wait. Get out as soon as you're able. I waited way too long."
I retired from the day job early, and like others mentioned ..left some on the table but do not regret it. I too have seen way too many work right past good health to stack cheese..then not be physically ( or mentally ) fit to utilize/enjoy the fruits of their labor. How many people you know now have the plane of their dreams, and no medical? We have grown kids, both out of state, both routinely call to check on us. Daughter worked in elder care, shes promised to snuff us out with a pillow if needed....:cheerswine:

Last edited:
April and I were going to do a Titanic sub dive, but that's off the table for now.

I’ve been told that while the girls will take my wife into their homes, they’re gonna put me in a nursing home. :dunno:

My last day job with a paycheck every 2 weeks was 64 years ago .
It's been an interesting journey.
I told the kids when the time comes just push me in to my airplane with 5 gallons of gas in each tank. ;)

Assisted living is too expensive.

Should I become immobilized in my later years without assistance -- I've decided I'll empirically validate this equation in my Hyundai Elantra.
View attachment 118791

Where Y0 will be approximately equal to the height of the Grand Canyon; v0 will be equal to whatever meager speed I can achieve with my 4 cylinder, and theta will be dictated by whatever ramp I'm able to build by cobbling together supplies from home depot.

EDIT: I realized my answer sounded calloused. The reality is I have no idea what I'll do, but there aren't a ton of great options that are affordable based on experience with other family members. Moving in with family is one option...
Assisted living isn't that expensive. Both of my inlaws lived in one for a few years, and my mother lived in one for a few months. Skilled nursing care is quite expensive, but assisted living is not that much more expensive than living in your own house.
Suffocation, a large plastic bag over your head is a better option;
A. Super cheap
B. Doesn’t make a mess like many other options (guns, jumping off bridges, etc)
C. Most importantly, it gives you time to rethink your decision.
No, that's a miserable way to die. What you want is an exit bag.

Back