[NA]Did we get over it??[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
unless I missed it, I did not see a single rant about tonight’s time change.
Maybe we save that for spring only?

Who's gonna complain about getting an extra hour of sleep? :D

The extra sleep is nice...if you don't stay up extra late!

For flying it sucks...now any weeknight after work flight until like February will have to be a night flight. So long summer and fall :(

Can't wait for DST to be chucked.

The extra sleep is nice...if you don't stay up extra late!

For flying it sucks...now any weeknight after work flight until like February will have to be a night flight. So long summer and fall :(

Can't wait for DST to be chucked.

I don’t want it tossed, I want it to be permanent! I hate coming home from work in the dark. Seems to me we go the wrong way. Darkness comes earlier, so we change the clocks to make nightfall even earlier.

Actually, I have no clue which one is normal!

But I like whatever it is now. I don't mind going to work or dropping my daughter off in the morning in the dark. After this stupid switch it will be light in the morning at work/school time for only awhile and then its dark in the morning again anyway.

So chuck whatever it is that they do during the winter (starting tonight)

I didn’t know about it. I’m glad you mentioned it or I would have been waiting an extra hour at the airport in the morning.

Such relief. I thought humanity had finally come to terms with change or something!

I remember when President Nixon made DST year-round back in the winter of early 1974. All the parents were up at arms because the kids had to walk to school in the dark.

For context, you have to understand that most elementary-school and middle-school children in NYC walk to school because the schools usually are quite close to their homes. High school kids, on the other hand, may face up to two hours of commuting on buses, subways, trams, and/or ferries every day -- each way -- depending on which schools they attend. NYC's specialized high schools are scattered throughout the five boroughs, and some open as early as 7:00 a.m. So for some high school kids, going to school in the dark meant pitch black dark, not twilight dark.

Whatever their kids' situations, parents were irate about having to send their children to school in the dark. And in retrospect, I really can't blame them.

One obvious solution would have been to open the schools an hour later, but the teachers' union would have no part of it because then they'd be "getting home an hour later." I thought that was ridiculous. You can't change time. You can only relabel it. Had they opened the schools an hour later, the teachers would be getting home at exactly the same time as they would have had DST not been in effect. Only the label would be different, not the time. But they didn't see it that way.

I found it all quite amusing.

I'm also amused at people who either work for themselves at home or are retired, but who still complain about going back to standard time because "it gets dark an hour earlier." No, it doesn't. It gets dark when it gets dark, regardless of what label we place on it. If people who have control of their schedules want that extra hour of daylight, then all they have to do is get up an hour earlier. Voila. Problem solved.

People who work according to other people's schedules, of course, don't have that option. I give them a pass for griping.

As for me, I really don't care which system they use. I do think it's a pointless bother to have to change all the clocks twice a year; but in the big picture of life, it's not the worst thing that ever happened to me.

Rich

I hate it because of the students I have who can only fly after work. Now they’ll want to fly on weekends. Oh well.

Since almost all my clocks are self-setting, I don't even notice or pay attention.

Now if only there were something I could do about the clock on the oven...

Now if only there were something I could do about the clock on the oven...
Tape over it? Excludes those that use the same display for oven control, and that actually get used.

What's really stoooooopid is that they picked the first weekend in November so the trick-or-treaters could have an extra hour of daylight.

Who the hell wants an extra hour of daylight on Halloween??? We sure didn't when we were kids. We wanted it DARK! Dark is what Halloween is all about! You can't get into any trouble when the sun's still up!!!

As an aside, I was really proud of myself for "sleeping in" until 5:30 this morning. Until I was sipping on my first cup of coffee, started surfing here on the iPad and noticed its clock (you know, the one that's now in the extrememe left corner buried under my left hand...yeah that one) and it read 4:43.

Well, f***!

Last edited:
I prefer DST over Standard time, but what I really hate are the reduced number of daylight hours in the winter. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I went to Alaska in July and I would wake up at 3 AM and it was still light out. (But I would really hate the winter nights up there).

I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I went to Alaska in July and I would wake up at 3 AM and it was still light out.
And you don't even have to go to that extreme to have amazingly long days. About 8 or 10 years ago, I did a project in Watertown, SD. It's north (of course) and it's on the extreme western edge of the Central Time Zone. Construction is typically an early "industry", 6:30 to 3:30 is pretty common. And, IIRC, that's what our typical day was there.

So, I'd get off work, head to the golf course, play 18, stop by a restaurant on the way back to my apartment, have dinner, get home, and it'd still be daylight. I did that two or three days a week. Play A LOT of golf that summer. It was cool! It stayed light until after 10 pm there.

Watertown is a really nice town BTW. Flat as a flitter (which I'm not a fan of) but good people and a very well kept town.

Over 41XS? I don't think I'll ever get over 41XS.

I moved all my clocks back Saturday before lunch time so I had lunch twice.!!

I never did understand why Alaska has DST. I once had to wear my sunglasses while walking home at 2am after the July 04 party. And it was snowing at the same time.

When I was growing up, many businesses had different summer and winter hours, for the sole purpose of defeating the time change.

Was there a time change. Didn’t notice it In Arizona
Except that the part of Arizona that is the Navajo Nation does observe DST. But the Hopi Reservation, completely surrounded by Navajo, does not. But the part of Navajo that is completely surrounded by Hopi does.

Got that? o_O

09-daylight-map-full.jpg

ne_arizona_time_zones-4.jpg

So if you drive the 106 miles on AZ Highway 264 from Tuba City to Steamboat in the summertime, you'll have to re-set your watch six times. :confused:

Figuring DST in Australia is fun, too, since just over 1/4 of the area of the country observes it, and then it is in effect from October to April. And their Central time zone is on the half-hour compared to the other zones and GMT.

380px-Australia-states-timezones.png

Last edited:
Except that the part of Arizona that is the Navajo Nation does observe DST. But the Hopi Reservation, completely surrounded by Navajo, does not. But the part of Navajo that is completely surrounded by Hopi does.

Now imagine flying an air ambulance in the area and trying to tell people what time the plane will be there.....

hint: just easier to say the plane will be there in 31 minutes....

Now imagine flying an air ambulance in the area and trying to tell people what time the plane will be there.....

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

I think we just run the whole world on 24 hr zulu. You’d soon get accustomed to UTC mealtimes, bedtime, etc, for your locale.

Back