[NA] Bought an S4

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
After deciding to put the Cessna 195 idea aside for now, I looked to other areas that needed attention (read money). In particular, my 11 year old Subaru was ready for replacement. I love that STI, but it was beginning to break after 115,000 miles and many track days. Also, I'm not doing too many track days these days, so paying the penalty of the rough, loud ride is getting old given I'm not getting any benefit from it.

So...I happened to run into a manual 2011 Audi S4. That's a bit of a unicorn, and should be right up my alley. Right amount of power to weight (slightly lower than the STI), manual transmission, all wheel drive. More comfortable, quieter than my current ride. Price was reasonable and condition is great. First time owning a supercharged engine.

Of course, I have some trepidation about the repair bills. Anyone have experience with this car? How stupid have I been? It was a bit of an impulse purchase.

If you park the Audi in a quiet garage, you can hear it depreciate.
Maintenance costs are one of the reasons.
On the other hand, if you had a track-prepped STi, you're probably okay with some costs and hassles. Audis are lovely cars, but upkeep is the reason I drive Asian cars.

Wife has a Q5. Probably the best driving car we've ever had. Maintenance has been a non issue. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Audi.

I've had several Audis and a couple of VWs. All have been really good vehicles with virtually no maintenance issues. Have fun with the S4 and congrats!

Just replaced my '07 Lexus RX350 with an Audi Q3. So far, love it. Gave the Lexus to our son & DIL, who are about to be foster parents; and they gave their Scion xB to our grandson (their nephew) for his first car. Pay it forward!

Audio w/o warranty is a faster way to the poor house than a hanger queen 195.

Good luck

Not to knock on gas cars. But...
I don't know why people feel a need to have gas cars. I often have 180-200 mile days in the time I have had the car (concord-Sacramento concord-Modesto) I'm yet to have a day I wish I had something else. Instant torque is a kick! No gas changes, no oil changes, hardly any maintenance.. 3 years 45000 miles battery has degraded ~5%. Used ones are affordable compared to similar gas guzzlers.

Loved my A4 when I had it. Actually shipped it over to Germany when I was stationed there. Brought it in to an Audi dealer one day for an oil change and ended up needing a new transmission. $4,000 at only 60K miles!

My wife drove an A4 for many years. It was a nice driver when it worked, but when it had problems the parts were always unique, expensive and extraordinarily hard to reach. Look after the exhaust. When hers rusted through the only alternative was to replace the entire exhaust in one piece. I can't remember the price for that, but it was enough to make us move on!

Having said that, most of the time it was great and I hear the S4 has some great power!

Loved my A4. Was a maintenance hog. Mostly my fault, though.

LOL. Yeah, that. I never saw myself in an Audi. Those drivers in Audis are dicks! Always thought that if I picked a brand to be a Euro driving a-hole, it would be BMW. But...bought a Mini for my wife, and everything about it that was Mini is pretty nice. Everything about it that is BMW is a PITA. Who thought a turn signal stalk that doesn't stay where you put it is a good idea? So aggravating, and so many of those. The S4 has a thousand buttons and I'd love to have a touchscreen that didn't exist in 2011, but I can at least figure it all out pretty quick.

Maybe the car will make me that way. But for now, I don't tailgate. I do signal. I speed politely. Fingers and horns are damn rare.

Loved my A4 when I had it. Actually shipped it over to Germany when I was stationed there. Brought it in to an Audi dealer one day for an oil change and ended up needing a new transmission. $4,000 at only 60K miles!

Out of curiosity, how do you find out you need a transmission during an oil change? Knowing you only from what I can piece together reading your posts, you don't seem the type to be dense about mechanical things.

I don't know why people feel a need to have gas cars. I often have 180-200 mile days in the time I have had the car (concord-Sacramento concord-Modesto) I'm yet to have a day I wish I had something else. Instant torque is a kick! No gas changes, no oil changes, hardly any maintenance.. 3 years 45000 miles battery has degraded ~5%. Used ones are affordable compared to similar gas guzzlers.

There is no way I could get this level of performance and luxury from an electric car for $25,000. Given the range you're quoting, the car must be a Tesla S. The cheapest used Tesla I can find is $40K.

Never known anyone who kept an Audi as a daily driver for more than a few years, and who didn't have at least one insane maintenance bill. Parts are outrageous for them.

It's an "acquired taste" if you like such things.

Maybe things have changed with Audi. We'll see. Consumer Reports gives very high marks to the Q3's reliability. I thought I wanted a BMW X1, but after a couple of test drives the Q3 topped it in every important respect, and at $4K less, similarly equipped.

Never known anyone who kept an Audi as a daily driver for more than a few years, and who didn't have at least one insane maintenance bill.

I've known a few. The most recent bought an A4 Quattro V6 in 2001 and sold it in 2016 with somewhere around 200k miles. Maintenance was a little high but not insane. Unscheduled repair was relatively infrequent. He always took it to the dealer where he bought it.

I've known a few. The most recent bought an A4 Quattro V6 in 2001 and sold it in 2016 with somewhere around 200k miles. Maintenance was a little high but not insane. Unscheduled repair was relatively infrequent. He always took it to the dealer where he bought it.

He got really lucky. The A4 Quattro was a disaster for a lot of folks.

Of course that was more than a decade ago and who knows what they're selling these days.

Glad a few folks had a good experience.

So you have a diesel?

In the driveway: 2001 A4 1.8TM 230k, 2004 A4 1.8TQM 160k, both purchased used with about 110k on them. I turn my own wrenches on these and source OEM supplier parts from the internet. No surprises, I stay on top of oil change and timing belt intervals. In fact, time to rip the front off the '04 again next weekend.

In the garage: 2011 A6 3.0T 55k that came with an extended warranty (which just expired) and dealer service through 75k paid for by the previous owner. I bought it with 35k miles, no issues either. I do miss the stick in that one. Not a fan of paddle shifters, but I suppose I need to get used to them. Almost dumped it for a manual Allroad a few months ago (there's your true unicorn), may do that still down the road.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how do you find out you need a transmission during an oil change? Knowing you only from what I can piece together reading your posts, you don't seem the type to be dense about mechanical things.

After the engine oil change, tire rotation was done, they called me to tell me it was ready for pickup but had a minor problem. "Your transmission...ah, how do you say...not make wheels turn. Vaz it like dis before???" So I was left with an automatic transmission that I had to start in first gear, then shift to second and then shift to automatic. I did that for a year and then finally sprung the cash for a new xmsn.

I'd like to believe Germans are honest people and never had any problems with them but it sure seemed like a odd coincidence that my transmission failed while they were working on it. I suppose I could've taken it through my base JAG but I doubt it would have resolved anything.

Last edited:
After the engine oil change, tire rotation was done, they called me to tell me it was ready for pickup but had a minor problem. "Your transmission...ah, how do you say...not make wheels turn. Vaz it like dis before???" So I was left with an automatic transmission that I had to start in first gear, then shift to second and then shift to automatic. I did that for a year and then finally sprung the cash for a new xmsn.

I'd like to believe Germans are honest people and never had any problems with them but it sure seemed like a odd coincidence that my transmission failed while they were working on it. I suppose I could've taken it through my base JAG but I doubt it would have resolved anything.

I guess sometimes it's just timing. Ever discover what the actual failure was in the transmission?

I guess sometimes it's just timing. Ever discover what the actual failure was in the transmission?

I don't recall. The majority of the staff didn't speak English so I didn't press the issue. I just remember the service manager telling me 7,000 D-Marks. Like 4 grand US.

Great driving car though. Cruised the Autobahn at a comfortable 110 mph.

Because some of us enjoy driving them. It's like asking why someone owns a small GA plane instead of flying the airlines. I find my friend's Tesla P100D about as much fun to drive as taking the bus but he doesn't really get why I love old air cooled Porsches. To each their own...

arnoha - congrats on the S4. I think you will enjoy it!

Let's see what've I gone through on my journey to Audi TTRS ownership/nirvana:
- multiple generations of Range Rovers
- Porsche BoxsterS
- Lotus Elise
- Acura NSX
- MINI S
- Mini classic
- Austin Healey frogeye Sprite
- Audi A4 Avant quattro

So I'm kind of a N=1 informed consumer and would not give up my Audi for anything (except maybe an R8).
Truth in Engineering.

They look ok, but they aren't fast enough. The RS4 is the only decently fast one. Still waiting for the RS3 hatch to come to the US :(

They look ok, but they aren't fast enough. The RS4 is the only decently fast one. Still waiting for the RS3 hatch to come to the US :(

As I get older, fast, not so much. Quick? Why, yes, thank you. Chips are a wonderful thing. Throw in a dash of handling upgrades, and that is a 90% solution at 50% of the price.

Let's see what've I gone through on my journey to Audi TTRS ownership/nirvana:
- multiple generations of Range Rovers
- Porsche BoxsterS
- Lotus Elise
- Acura NSX
- MINI S
- Mini classic
- Austin Healey frogeye Sprite
- Audi A4 Avant quattro

So I'm kind of a N=1 informed consumer and would not give up my Audi for anything (except maybe an R8).
Truth in Engineering.

Oh man. No wonder you think the Audi has easy maintenance! LOL.

A friend of mine joked recently, "I think I want another Range Rover, but I know better..." :)

Have an A8L and an A4 Avant. I've had to catch up some of the maintenance that had been delayed by previous owners. Costs haven't been bad or unexpected on either. Should have the A4 on the road soon.

BTW, if you do your own maintenance, spend the money and buy the genuine Ross-Tech cable and software. I see Uwe has changed things a little and the cable you need with the software is 199$.

Last edited:
I don't think any of the German cars are known for their reliability and when you add in all of the complexity it seems like the cost/benefit is way out of line. But people,like the status symbols.

I don't think any of the German cars are known for their reliability and when you add in all of the complexity it seems like the cost/benefit is way out of line. But people,like the status symbols.

Believe it or not, it's not a status symbol for me. There wasn't much else out there that met my wishlist (which was, admittedly, a bit particular):
  1. Manual transmission (always driven manuals)
  2. Four doors with decent rear seat legroom (kid + kid on the way)
  3. Relatively new (2010 was my arbitrary date, it's a 2011)
  4. Reasonable miles (~10-12,000 per year, 60,000 on this car)
  5. Good condition (don't have time anymore for a project car, this car looks and drives nearly new)
  6. Around 300 HP (STI has spoiled me)
  7. Not completely miserable gas mileage (I was thinking about the Chevy SS, but 13-15 MPG??)
  8. Reasonably comfortable (I was done with the STI's track-tuned, modified suspension)
  9. Not a Subaru or Mini (Love 'em...but I already did 11 years in the STI and have a Mini)
  10. No Lexus or Mercedes (neither do it for me, not sure why)
  11. Prefer RWD or AWD to FWD
  12. In my price range ($20,000 to $40,000: I spent $25,000 on the Audi)
  13. Don't like white or silver, so not those colors (Audi is black on black)
What would you have picked? When I saw this car for sale, there was my unicorn.

Don't like white or silver, so not those colors (Audi is black on black)
What would you have picked? When I saw this car for sale, there was my unicorn.

White is the official German national racing color and silver (bare metal) is the unofficial one, so I would have passed :)

It really depends. Porsches are very reliable. I have a 21 year old Porsche that only ever needs oil changes. No major repairs over its entire life. And that's just one of them, I've had many Porsches over the years with very few problems.

Also, definitely not a status symbol type person. I have a beater regular car that I drive to places where people will see me (e.g., work) but my fun cars are for my enjoyment when I'm not likely to see anyone I know.

When we bought the A8L, it was a toss up between the Audi, a BMW 733IL or a Lexus 460L. I had to have something with more back seat leg room than a standard sedan. Wasn't going back to minivans, vans or get a ministretch. The Lexus that I could find were still too close to sticker price for their age and couldn't find a BMW that wan't silver or black, even after searching for 6 months. The 8L popped up at a good time and was well within the price I was willing to spend. We've put about 12K miles on it in the 4 years we've had it and total maintenance cost has been about 1K$, including a coupe of oil changes, a set of tires and new brakes all around. There were some unexpected costs due to being run off the road one day, but even that only adds about 700$ total. It's coming due for a timing belt change and a front suspension refresh. That's about 1500$ in parts total.

The A4 Avant was a steal when I bough it for my 16 year old. I've put new brakes on it all around, done the timing belt, cam and crank seals and it's almost ready to get on the road. I've got 2K$ in it total.

When we bought the A8L, it was a toss up between the Audi, a BMW 733IL or a Lexus 460L. I had to have something with more back seat leg room than a standard sedan. Wasn't going back to minivans, vans or get a ministretch. The Lexus that I could find were still too close to sticker price for their age and couldn't find a BMW that wan't silver or black, even after searching for 6 months. The 8L popped up at a good time and was well within the price I was willing to spend. We've put about 12K miles on it in the 4 years we've had it and total maintenance cost has been about 1K$, including a coupe of oil changes, a set of tires and new brakes all around. There were some unexpected costs due to being run off the road one day, but even that only adds about 700$ total. It's coming due for a timing belt change and a front suspension refresh. That's about 1500$ in parts total.

The A4 Avant was a steal when I bough it for my 16 year old. I've put new brakes on it all around, done the timing belt, cam and crank seals and it's almost ready to get on the road. I've got 2K$ in it total.

You got a set of tires for less than $1000? I cant seem to find tires for the wifes SUV for less than 200 each. Good find

CTS-V. But its a little bit faster than the S4..

It's only available in an automatic. If I had to choose between a manual and more horsepower, I'll take the manual nearly every time.

Back