[NA] Best Rice Cooker? [NA]

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
For someone who has not owned a rice cooker, and wants a "set and forget" style of rice cooking (not interested in rice in a pot on stove), can you guys suggest which brand / model of rice cooker is a good choice.

Bonus points if you provide a link to amazon or other source.

Parameters of interest:
  • at least 4 cups of cooked rice
  • has a "keep warm" mode after cooking is finished
  • easy to use and keep clean
  • manufacturer known to make well built items.
  • can do different types of rice well (such as brown) as well as other items such as legumes and other grains
  • Bonus if it can act as a veg steamer.

I've been using a $15 Black & Decker for years.

I found that the quality of the finished product (rice!) depends on an exact water/dry rice ratio. It took me (us, actually) about 5 tries to get the ratio (and the rice) to our satisfaction. Don't give up; don't expect to get it right if the pre-cooking libations have been frequent. But as soon as you get your preferred ratio it works very well.

-Skip

My wife has 5.....yes 5 rice cookers of different sizes.

She still uses a pot on the stove.

When I was single I would buy a one pound box of rice that would last me a year. Now we buy rice in 50 pound bags......2 fifty pounders everytime we go to Albuquerque. The Asian store she likes smells awful so it must be authentic.

InstantPot.

Jack of all trades, master of none. It's a good choice if rice is an occasional thing and you could get use out of it in between rice cooking sessions. But if rice cooking is going to be frequent then go with a Japanese or Taiwanese brand.

I've had a Zojirushi rice cooker for about 10 years and it's made a flawless pot of rice every time. I don't ever recall it making a bad batch of rice.

They make several models, and I bet they all work just fine. I can't remember how much mine cost. Probably about $120, which would have seemed like a lot at the time, but given how long it's lasted, and cooked a perfect batch of rice every time, it was money well spent.

My wife has 5.....yes 5 rice cookers of different sizes.

She still uses a pot on the stove.

When I was single I would buy a one pound box of rice that would last me a year. Now we buy rice in 50 pound bags......2 fifty pounders everytime we go to Albuquerque. The Asian store she likes smells awful so it must be authentic.

When I was stationed in Korea everyone was authorized to buy one rice cooker during your tour. They were a hot item on the black market. One could make a sweet profit. That’s what I heard anyway. :)

I have the the Zojirushi 3 cup inductive model. It cooks perfect rice every time. I use it 3 to 5 times a week and have had it for 3 years.

I use the pot and the "joint of the finger" method. Works fine by me. Nice to have an induction cooktop. Bring it to a boil on the highest setting and then cover and put down at the lowest. Once it's cooked it will park like that for a good long time.

For what it's worth, the... translators... in Vietnam all like to use automatic rice cookers. It's kind of a status symbol for them. Kind of like riding a Honda motorbike vs. a Chinese knockoff.

I like the plain jane type better then the programmable ones. We have both. The cheap one I can make perfect rice on the stove top, too.
I'll bet it won't do so well with the brown rice that the OP wants to cook.

Use more water. Works fine.

I like the simple units better than the programmable ones. They all have one flaw, and that’s the pot non-stick finish eventually starts to flake off. Rice is simple to cook on a stove top but the cheap rice cooker’s are easier. Turn it on and walk away.

InstantPot
:yeahthat:
My wife just got one last Friday... She's cooked in it every night since... Last night burito stuff'ns came out of it...She loves it... and as for your question... why not get something that serves more than one purpose... It is a set and forget system with even a delayed start, so the rice (or whatever else) will start while you're sitting in rush hour traffic...

Bonus if it can act as a veg steamer.

My wife has a rice cooker/veggie steamer. The steamer part doesn't work like she wants it to work. Darned if I know what make/model it is.

She did make spaghetti sauce in it one time and it came out great.

Zojirushi is what you want.

When I was stationed in Korea everyone was authorized to buy one rice cooker during your tour. They were a hot item on the black market. One could make a sweet profit. That’s what I heard anyway. :)
Memories... ration cards and Mama-san runs. Hot dogs, peanut butter, cheese, chicken wings, Tang... that's what I heard, anyway. ;)

I'm not an expert, but it seems to do ok with brown rice. Basmati rice with some ghee and turmeric is a staple around here, though.

I'll bet it won't do so well with the brown rice that the OP wants to cook.

Back