[NA]Best online truck tire site[NA]

I like buying from Summit Racing. Free shipping and no taxes depending on what state you are in. If you buy wheels too they will mount and balance them for free.

I scored some Load Range E Pirelli scorpion tires for my 3/4 ton for $100 each landed on Amazon (they have since changed the price to $150). Discount tire is usually my go to if you have one local.

Discount Tire has been my go-to for several years. They now have some local stores near me, so it’s even more convenient. I use Nitto TerraGraps on the F-150 as they have good life for an A/T without being noisy.

We have some Pathfinder (rebranded Hankook) tires on the Sierra 1500 that are less aggressive A/T tires which seem to be doing well, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said pickup but its a 4-Runner (SUV, sort of).
(Same frame and engine as mine so didn't seem like subterfuge)
Anyway, does this change our choice of tire:
34000mi in 4 years on Michelin LTX-MS2's and they are less than minimum tread..
Seems poor to me.
What would I have to sacrifice to get 50000mi in 7 years?
Or is that even possible anymore?

Found some good stuff on Amazon, especially for generic tires.

The problem I've run into with the online tire retailers is the shipping is so astronomically high you're better off just finding a local tire shop. I've put truck tires on my F-150 and Scout in the past year and I ended up getting both from Sam's Club because I couldn't get a better price anywhere else including the internet and their installation comes with a warranty/road hazard protection.

I said pickup but its a 4-Runner (SUV, sort of).
(Same frame and engine as mine so didn't seem like subterfuge)
Anyway, does this change our choice of tire:
34000mi in 4 years on Michelin LTX-MS2's and they are less than minimum tread..
Seems poor to me.

Take a look at the Yokohama Geolander. I've put 2 sets on our Outback and gotten around 50,000 miles out of each. They make them from everything from light SUVs to full size trucks so I'm sure you'd be able to find some for your 4 runner. Very nice tire, good snow/ice capability, good off road, not too noisy, etc.

My TerraGraps got over 50K on the first set, so I bought another. Haven’t had the Pathfinder tires on the GMC more than 5K miles or so, so it’s too early to say.

I used to work at Discount Tire (one of my high school jobs). Terra Grapplers were horrible tires. They must have changed something if you got over 50K on them. Surprisingly the Nitto Trail Grapplers were a much better tire even though they were a M/T (louder of course).

I had a set of Yokohama Geolander A/Ts and they were fantastic tires.

I got like 45,000 miles on my Michelin LTXs that came on my 2014 F150. Now I have some cheap Discount Tire brand (Pathfinders I think?). I’ll be interested to see how these do.

I have always got the best wear on Michelin’s, but vehicle weight makes a big difference. When I had a VW Bug back I College, I could get 80,000 on a set, if I rotated them. When I had a Porsche Cayenne S, the factory tires were only rated for 15k. I replaced with Michelin’s and those did much better (three year lease, so I didn’t wear them out).

Discount tire direct or tire rack. Tread depot used to be the go to place, but they went under.

New rear tires are on my to do list. 20k out of these BFG Comp 2 A/S’s

I used to work at Discount Tire (one of my high school jobs). Terra Grapplers were horrible tires. They must have changed something if you got over 50K on them. Surprisingly the Nitto Trail Grapplers were a much better tire even though they were a M/T (louder of course).

I had a set of Yokohama Geolander A/Ts and they were fantastic tires.

I got like 45,000 miles on my Michelin LTXs that came on my 2014 F150. Now I have some cheap Discount Tire brand (Pathfinders I think?). I’ll be interested to see how these do.

My Nitto TerraGraps were LT-rated (E-load range I think). Probably attributed to the longer life, especially on an F-150. Only negative I can think of was that they had a tendency to develop a flat spot if the truck sat for over a week at a time. It would work itself out after a few miles, but I'd always notice a bit of vibration if I left it at the airport parking for a week or more while traveling for business. I wasn't keeping 65+psi in them though, so I attribute it to running around with 50psi in them unless towing heavy.

Last edited:
Recently put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s on the Suburban, from Discount Tire. Made in the USA, still. Price after the rebates was $550 ish. Rebates showed up in a reasonable time, no hassles.

Flea bay or Craigslist / searchtempest.
to find a good buy may take a little patience but often can find michelin in the size you want at a great price. consider slightly used michelins as you may find some almost new removed from a parted vehicle at 50% the cost of new.

Tire Rack ****ed me off.

I needed a tire for my sidecar rig, which uses wheels from a Mini and appropriate car tires.

7358056024_d6a07501a0_z.jpg

Ordered online, and made the mistake of saying what the tire was for, and they refused to sell it to me.

So screw ‘em! Amazon is my go-to source now.

Last edited:
Tire Rack ****ed me off.

I needed a tire for my sidecar rig, which uses wheels from a Mini and appropriate car tires.

7358056024_d6a07501a0_z.jpg

Ordered online, and made the mistake of saying what the tire was for, and they refused to sell it to me.

So screw ‘em! Amazon is my go-to source now.

Their lawyers probably forced them into that policy.

Recently put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s on the Suburban, from Discount Tire. Made in the USA, still. Price after the rebates was $550 ish. Rebates showed up in a reasonable time, no hassles.

I put a set of cooper CS5 ultra touring on my car, I really like them.

Discount tire is usually my go to if you have one local.
Discount tire is the "don't go" place for me after buying tires a couple times there something got effed up - like only putting 4 of the 5 lug nuts back on. But, thanks to the wheel covers - who is going to know?

If you're open to buying remolded tires, I got 4 matched steel casing aggressive "Bulldog" deep tread pattern Treadwright 31's for my pickup for $400 shipping included. Bought them a couple years ago, they have held up very well. They felt a little "squirrelly" when first mounted, like the rubber needed time to harden up or something. All that went away after about 3 months.

It's a farm truck, so I couldn't see spending $200+ per tire.

My good truck, a 2016 Chevy, came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on it, P265/65R18. They have 49,000 on them and have a good 15 to 20k left to go. Not a very aggressive tread.

My farm truck, a 2002 Chevy, has Uniroyal Laredo HD/T tires on it, LT245/75R16. They are 10ply rated and have a very aggressive tread that was mega deep when new. They have about 30k miles on them and they're still in great shape...easily good for another 20k, maybe more. The downside is that they're noisy. Not "mudder truck noisy" but noisier than any of the more aggressive Goodyear Wranglers I've ever owned. I don't remember exactly what I paid but they were quite reasonable.

Or, Dave, if Plaza Tire is in your area, you could check to see if they still have tires that have "Alabama Crimson Tide" white letters. They had some of these last year in Ste. Genevieve, MO. They were out front, proudly displayed. My reaction was "WTF?" This is MISSOURI. So I had to stop and ask WTF?

They told me that there was a tire promotion in Alabama that had gone bad, they bombed, and they (Plaza Tire) picked them up cheap. They were selling them at 50% to 60% of what the same tire without that lettering cost. Just mount them with the letters to the inside and you're golden! I wish I'd needed some tires at the time. My sister did for her Jeep, and picked up a sweet deal.

I've never been disappointed by Discount Tire Direct. I've been using them for years, usually online, but sometimes by phone when I needed advice. Their sales people are knowledgeable and don't work on commission, and they've always provided good advice.

I did experience one hiccup with DTC, but it was no big deal. When I bought my present car it was already October, so I ordered studded snow tires and steelies, mounted and balanced, as soon as I got home. The order went through and a delivery date was promised.

The next morning at about 5:00 a.m., they called me and told me that there had been an inventory glitch and that the closest warehouse was short one tire. They said they could still honor the delivery date by shipping the one tire and wheel using a faster service (at no cost to me, since the date had already been promised); but if it was no rush, they asked if they could push back the delivery date by a day or two instead. As it was still too early to legally install the studded tires (and I didn't plan to install them until it got a bit colder anyway), I told them to go ahead and push the date back.

If you do use DTC, consider applying for and using their Synchrony Car Care credit card. Depending on the purchase amount, it's interest-deferred for a time (usually six months, in my experience) and often features very generous rebates. Also, even though the card will be co-branded with DTC, it's also good at most gas stations and any other company that accepts a Synchrony Car Care card (AAMCO, Pep Boys, Meineke, and many others). That's good because even though you may only need tires every two or three years, you can keep the card alive in between by using it to buy gas once in a while.

Just make sure to pay it off before the promotion expires because the interest is crazy high and it's just deferred, not really interest-free. If you're an hour late making the last payment, all that deferred interest will be tacked back on.

Rich

Last edited:
Tirerack shipped to a local chain store for mounting has worked well for me.

Their lawyers probably forced them into that policy.
Costco is the same way on tire fitments.

I've looked at several of them. TireRack warehouse is close enough that I could have picked the tires up and avoided shipping (and paid for mounting), and I was about to pull the trigger when Costco put the same Michelins on sale and the total price including mounting/balance was $100 less. Costco got my business, and I was able to get an appointment with them for installation.

Just another data point.

I made the mistake once of buying Mastercraft tires (made by Cooper IIRC).

$600 for a set of four, and they came complete with a 60,000 mile prorated thread warranty.

They lasted exactly 30,000 miles before they were down to the wear indicators. So, I get $300 towards a new set of tires, right?

Oooooooooooh, nooooooooooo!

I think it was $150...$170...something like that.

Won't ever buy Mastercraft or Cooper again!

Back