N/A —Thinking about a Hyundai Veloster

Click and Clack swore off German/European cars at least 15 years ago. I miss those guys. They said for a long time, if you want quality, go Japanese.

My all time favorite quote of theirs' was:
Volvo owners believe that Volvos get good gas mileage and are relatively mx free. And they also think that their Volvo is the only exception to those two rules.
I have lived the Volvo one. :mad:

One born every minute, according to the sage W.C. Oh well, boy will learn his lesson in time. We have a Honda plant near our little municipality. I will happily buy a Honda, I care not where its made. The Fit has been trouble free, and I've yet to have trouble with a Honda motorcycle in over three decades of riding, except my Goldwing, which was 30 years old when I acquired it. I'm on a trouble free Honda today.

VW is trying to do a Hyundai-style turnaround on their reliability reputation by doubling their warranty. Time will tell if works.

Spent part of the afternoon detailing it. Very impressed so far, absolutely love it.

6658EDF9-142A-44DD-A9D7-CA676C2F823D.jpeg 9074D7C5-CCA1-4FF5-8D6B-DF4C2CE53F31.jpeg FD810126-E09C-4810-86DB-2D5C169BB840.jpeg

VW is trying to do a Hyundai-style turnaround on their reliability reputation by doubling their warranty. Time will tell if works.

Likely won't help the thousands of Audis and VWs baking in the sun at their SW graveyard:

3DCDF953-248E-4E1B-929B-AF8C3C45E18D.jpeg

Congrats! The GTI is the iconic "hot hatch" and hopefully will provide many miles of joy and fun. I really like the GTI, and that deep blue is gorgeous!

Congrats! The GTI is the iconic "hot hatch" and hopefully will provide many miles of joy and fun. I really like the GTI, and that deep blue is gorgeous!
Thank you !

So how much longer until you chip it?:devil:

I seriously considered a GTI for my next daily driver, I just couldn't get past the DI issues and the cheap outdated looking interior. The exterior is really nice and it is a fit all mission type of car. I ended up with a Chevrolet Cruze Diesel mostly because I got such a screaming deal on it. Good luck with the car!

I seriously considered a GTI for my next daily driver, I just couldn't get past the DI issues and the cheap outdated looking interior. The exterior is really nice and it is a fit all mission type of car. I ended up with a Chevrolet Cruze Diesel mostly because I got such a screaming deal on it. Good luck with the car!
Thanks, I hope it’s less trouble than my Volvo, which started having a multitude of issues after it crossed the 150k tick. Funny that you mention a Chevy Cruze as that’s what I’ve been driving for the past month while in between cars. It drives and feels like a Chevy, but it’s not bad.

I have been researching a few of the specifics with the GTI’s and things to look out for. This is my first VW, so I hope not to regret it in any way.

:)

Thanks, I hope it’s less trouble than my Volvo, which started having a multitude of issues after it crossed the 150k tick. Funny that you mention a Chevy Cruze as that’s what I’ve been driving for the past month while in between cars. It drives and feels like a Chevy, but it’s not bad.

I have been researching a few of the specifics with the GTI’s and things to look out for. This is my first VW, so I hope not to regret it in any way.

:)

Yea it's definitely doesn't have the fit of a German vehicle but I know the reliability will be much better. It has a smooth ride and the interior is much nicer and more quite. The main thing I like is the 50+ mpg hwy I am getting and the fact that I got it new for $8,000.00 off sticker price.

Yea it's definitely doesn't have the fit of a German vehicle but I know the reliability will be much better. It has a smooth ride and the interior is much nicer and more quite. The main thing I like is the 50+ mpg hwy I am getting and the fact that I got it new for $8,000.00 off sticker price.
There ya go... can’t blame you a bit on fuel economy and $8k off the sticker isn’t too bad either!

It’s a DSG!
Ooh, this means it has launch control. Have you tried it yet?

Also, press the "Car" button on the center stack until you get to the "Performance Monitor" screen. Swipe up on each of the gauges until you get "Oil temperature", "G-meter" and "Boost gauge". Now go practice steep turns and departure stalls. :)

Which one? Hybrid, Plug-in hybrid or all electric?

I like the plug-in hybrid, but I would love just a bit more than 29 miles on battery alone.

Regardless, looking forward to your first impressions.

Still no problems. First fill up, 57.8 MPG.

Ooh, this means it has launch control. Have you tried it yet?

Also, press the "Car" button on the center stack until you get to the "Performance Monitor" screen. Swipe up on each of the gauges until you get "Oil temperature", "G-meter" and "Boost gauge". Now go practice steep turns and departure stalls. :)
I thought about doing turns around a point (aka donuts) this afternoon! ;)

Hope you enjoy the GTI. My friends who have owned them have all really enjoyed the things. I think you'll be happier with it vs. the Hyundai.

I'll deduct points since it's an automatic (I don't care what fancy acronyms they use, it's an automatic), but you bought it used so I won't deduct as may points. ;)

Some people don't care about the car they drive, but I find that driving an uninteresting vehicle to work in the morning sets a negative tone for the day. I even notice it when I have to drive my wife's Mercedes GL550 (which she really likes, and I like it well enough, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the Ram or the E55).

Yeah, it felt cheap and unbelievably slow.

Fortunately the GTI is still under factory warranty for a little while longer. Hopefully it’s a relatively trouble free car.

Know how you have a 100% dispatch reliability with a german car?? Buy 2.

Know how you have a 100% dispatch reliability with a german car?? Buy 2.

This is false. It's like suggesting that you could have 100% reliability on your Jaguar by having 2.

I've had times where I've had 5 Jaguars, all broken.

Jag and Land Rover are two companies who makes products I absolutely love, but will never buy! I watched some videos on the newest land rovers that everything is controlled by screens and motorized knobs.... that mess isn't going to work at all in 4 years.

Jag and Land Rover are two companies who makes products I absolutely love, but will never buy! I watched some videos on the newest land rovers that everything is controlled by screens and motorized knobs.... that mess isn't going to work at all in 4 years.

I've owned 7 Jaguars and a Range Rover. While I give them a hard time, the reality is that I've overall had good reliability with them, certainly not as bad as what the stories would have you think, and I never worried about taking them on a trip, nor did I ever get stranded.

The main thing I noticed with them were really weird failures that I never found in other vehicles. For example, the power window motors on the Range Rover were mounted on this thin stamped steel. It would flex every time the window went up and down, and eventually this resulted in a fatigue crack of the stamped steel. I've seen lots of window regulators fail, but never have the actual mount for the window motor fatigue crack like that. Welded it back together and it was fine.

Another odd failure was the Jaguar V12 distributor caps. They would tend to get fuel vapors in them and would explode. Had that happen to me 3 or 4 times.

Dropped valve seats were common on V12s although I never had one (fortunately).

My BMW 740iL was far, far more problematic than any of my Jaguars or the Range Rover. But the Mercedes are by far the best.

Still no problems. First fill up, 57.8 MPG.

What I'm impressed with...but maybe I'm easy to impress...

Is my 2016 crew cab 4x4 Silerado's gas mileage. It's a 5.3L v8. I just drove to Ft. Wayne and back last weekend for a memorial service. Put a total of a little over 1300 miles on it counting the local driving while there. Averaged 23.1 mpg for the trip. And it's a big honkin' vehicle!

By comparison, my 2002 Tahoe, with the same engine, is lucky to get over 15 or 16.

Last edited:
The main question I had a dozen years ago was:

Is this a Jaguarus or a Tauruar?

Either way, it was really, really, REALLY sad!

View attachment 66649
The dark days.

That POS was a Taurus.

Back in 2003 my mom was looking at a Lincoln LS. Upon seeing my Jaguar shirt the dealer tried telling me it had the “Jaguar engine and suspension.”

I was the wrong kid to have that argument with.

Mom bought an Infiniti.

What I'm impressed with...but maybe I'm easy to impress...

Is my 2016 crew cab 4x4 Silerado's gas mileage. It's a 5.3L v8. I just drove to Ft. Wayne and back last weekend for a memorial service. Put a total of a little over 1300 miles on it counting the local driving while there. Averaged 23.1 mpg for the trip. And it's a big honkin' vehicle!

By comparison, my 2002 Tahoe, with the same engine, is lucky to get over 15 or 16.

I think there was a lot technology in mileage improvement between 2002 and 2016

Back