N/A —Thinking about a Hyundai Veloster

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Sold my Volvo yesterday and I’m now looking for a new ride. Looking at the Hyundai Veloster’s and strongly considering one. Anybody have any experience or currently own one?

Go drive a Golf GTI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience but I do think they are neat. Sat in the new ones at the Detroit autoshow and was impressed. Hyundai makes really good cars with a great warranty. Really can't go wrong, just wish the interior came in more colors than black.

Edit: I see the top trim has a two tone interior, but at 27k I would look at other options.

Go drive a Golf GTI

I actually test drove a new GTI and I also really like those, but they’re a bit more coin than I’m willing to bite off.

The Veloster seems like a pretty good bang for the buck.

Owned a hybrid Sonata. Great car.

I actually test drove a new GTI and I also really like those, but they’re a bit more coin than I’m willing to bite off.

If all you care about is the drive then the GTI is a great car. Otherwise it's a little dated and bland on the inside and the ride a little harsh for daily commuting for the price they are asking.

Sold my Volvo yesterday and I’m now looking for a new ride. Looking at the Hyundai Veloster’s and strongly considering one. Anybody have any experience or currently own one?

My wife has '16 Turbo with DCT.. I like it. I'd get a manual though. New one(2019) is much better and you can get 275hp N

What is your budget?

I’d like to stay sub-15k.

Used? Just beware that Hyundai 10y/100mi drivetrain warranty is not transferable. I haven't driven the base model, but turbo is pretty peppy. Some turbo lag, but not too bad. DCT(7 speed) is not terrible, only a bit slow and slightly jerky at low speed. Otherwise, you can shift it without going to manual mode which is nice for passing.

Fit and finish is not too bad for a cheap car. I find it acceptable in general.

It's pretty low, fairly wide, and surprisingly roomy in the back because it's based on an Elantra, but rear head room is pretty bad. Taller occupants need to be warned if you are closing the hatch on them. It's 3(4 with hatch) doors, so a little weird. Trunk space is pretty small and although it's a hatchback, with the sloping roof, it's not as useful as most hatchbacks. It's also 2+2.

I've driven a couple Hundais, very favorably impressed. The one in question does look like it was smacked with an ugly stick, but if you can stomach it go for it. I bet its a good car.

I'll never buy a VW, never. Don't feel like spending that much money for something to break expensively. Same goes for BMW.

If you want a hot hatch, I'd be looking at a GTI, Fiesta/Focus ST or a WRX. I'd rather have a little older version of any of those over a Hyundai. I've driven a few Hynudai's (though not a Veloster), was never impressed at all with the build quality. You're definitely getting what you pay for.

GTIs are indeed a fun car to drive, but I've had two VWs. 1st one, shame on you. 2nd one, shame on me. There won't be a 3rd time as VW will never get any money from me again.

This.

Celia wanted, and we bought, a Jetta turbo. Fun car, tight as a drum, quick, way nicer inside than its price suggested. When she moved on to another car, I decided to keep the Jetta - it only had 6 years and 75,000 miles. Big mistake. The mechanicals started ... dissolving.

It was a shame, really - the body and interior were in perfect shape (made in Mexico); it was the engine (Germany) and the transmission (Japan) that bled me dry.

Used? Just beware that Hyundai 10y/100mi drivetrain warranty is not transferable. I haven't driven the base model, but turbo is pretty peppy. Some turbo lag, but not too bad. DCT(7 speed) is not terrible, only a bit slow and slightly jerky at low speed. Otherwise, you can shift it without going to manual mode which is nice for passing.

It's pretty low, fairly wide, and surprisingly roomy in the back because it's based on an Elantra, but rear head room is pretty bad. Taller occupants need to be warned if you are closing the hatch on them. It's 3(4 with hatch) doors, so a little weird. Trunk space is pretty small and although it's a hatchback, with the sloping roof, it's not as useful as most hatchbacks. It's also 2+2.
Yeah used. I sold an ‘04 Volvo S60 which I’m thrilled to get out of my hair. Had constant issues, though it was an overall good ride for the past 7 years.

Here’s the one I’m looking at.
Turbo 4 banger
24gph C/31gph H
2015 with 42k on it
They’re asking $14,500. Doesn’t seem too bad, but I’m still checking my options.

1B52CB9B-E341-43AB-A602-7C14EDEE8412.jpeg E3BF8D2C-0A72-435E-9DB7-101592E30DFF.jpeg 4C329094-4E46-46E1-8F4D-126D5EB86015.jpeg 4CF6C5C8-951B-4FE6-9697-3B4450E7A035.jpeg

Yeah used. I sold an ‘04 Volvo S60 which I’m thrilled to get out of my hair. Had constant issues, though it was an overall good ride for the past 7 years.

Turbo 4 banger
24gph C/31gph H
2015 with 42k on it
They’re asking $14,500. Doesn’t seem too bad, but I’m still checking my options.

View attachment 65770 View attachment 65771 View attachment 65772 View attachment 65773

That's a Certified Retail price for that car.

@Ryanb --- pass on the Veloster.... From the parts perspective, they are not holding up to longevity....

The few cars I have purchased, I have had to warranty replace or refund each of the engine and transmissions sales.

And for any vehicle under consideration, you might also research availability and pricing of the major parts. www.car-part.com is where I and many other salvage yards push inventory data so it can be searched by insurance companies, repair shops, and individual car owners.

Yeah. That blew me away. I'd never heard of a non-transferable Factory Warranty before. Just bought a Iconiq and found that out. The 5yr/60,000 on the rest of the car is transferable as is the 3yr/36,000 on the electronic thingy. The Battery has a Lifetime Warranty and is transferable. If anything I'd figure the Powertrain would be the transferable one and not the others.

Thanks. I have yet to drive it, so my opinion may change. I am looking for a hot hatch, and the Focus ST is also on my list. I really like the look of the Veloster so we’ll see.

I owned a Focus ST for a year, a 2014 ST3. Really, really fun car to drive, I only sold it because I wanted to go back to a Wrangler. Of course, then I sold the Wrangler for a Corvette. IMHO, a used Focus ST is a great bang-for-the-buck hot hatch. Lots and lots of aftermarket mod support, nice ride, decent amount of storage, usable back seats, and plenty of get up and go. It won't win any straight-line races, but put it on a road course and it'll keep up with much faster "muscle-type" cars because you can whip the ST around corners while the Vettes, Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, Camaro's, etc. all have to slow way down to keep things together. If you get any kind of snow or winter weather, do be prepared to buy a set of winter wheels and Blizzaks for it, as the stock "summer tires" are total garbage below ~40* f.

This.

Celia wanted, and we bought, a Jetta turbo. Fun car, tight as a drum, quick, way nicer inside than its price suggested. When she moved on to another car, I decided to keep the Jetta - it only had 6 years and 75,000 miles. Big mistake. The mechanicals started ... dissolving.

It was a shame, really - the body and interior were in perfect shape (made in Mexico); it was the engine (Germany) and the transmission (Japan) that bled me dry.

I owned an 87 golf, was great. Knew people who owned em during the bad years. I own a 2012 golf R. Best car I’ve ever owned, not one mechanical issue, not even a rattle or squeak.. I’ve had Dodge, BMW, Honda, Toyota...

Turbo 4 banger
24gph C/31gph H
2015 with 42k on it

View attachment 65770 View attachment 65771 View attachment 65772 View attachment 65773

I don’t know, at 31 GPH, you won’t get far. ;) I like Velosters and was thinking about them along with the Genesis Coupe earlier this year. Went with used 2012 Volt instead to save gas on my work commute. No complaints so far.

I would not buy any turbo sports type car used. Chances are high the person before you dogged it. They are cool looking cars though.

I don’t know, at 31 GPH, you won’t get far. ;) I like Velosters and was thinking about them along with the Genesis Coupe earlier this year. Went with used 2012 Volt instead to save gas on my work commute. No complaints so far.
The Volt looks pretty slick. Fuel economy is definitely high on my list. My Volvo was a 2.5T 6cyl and it did relatively well, but a 4-banger is all I need, preferably turbo’d. I’m no drag racer or anything ;).

We came across a sports car rally at Tapoco Lodge in NC where the majority of the cars were Velosters. That’s near Deal’s Gap, so they were there to have fun in the twisters.

Cool looking, and they appear to have a cult following, which is generally a good thing.

Rented a Veloster back in 2015. It was a few months old and only a couple thousand miles on the clock. It was kind of fun but no sports car.

I currently own a 2016 GTI with the performance package. Now that's far more sporting than the Hyundai. Been trouble free so far. Hopefully being a base model and having the 6MT stacks the odds in my favor. But then again, I've owned an Alfa and a Lotus so my standards might be different than yours. :)

Yeah. That blew me away. I'd never heard of a non-transferable Factory Warranty before. Just bought a Iconiq and found that out. The 5yr/60,000 on the rest of the car is transferable as is the 3yr/36,000 on the electronic thingy. The Battery has a Lifetime Warranty and is transferable. If anything I'd figure the Powertrain would be the transferable one and not the others.

That 5y/60mi is also NOT bumper to bumper. It has limitations. Was surprise to me when I found that oit

I looked at the Velosters but bought a Mazda 3 with 6 speed manual tranny. Love the car. Well engineered, well appointed. Handles really well. Good acceleration with the manual tranny. Not as fast as the Focus ST but 37+ mpg at 70 mph. An economy car that is great fun to drive. Bought new $16K with the incentives.

I love how my “Thinking about...” threads have caused a revolution. :)

Hyundai? I’d buy one if it fit my mission.
Makes for a good thread when you need to bounce an idea off of others!

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I’m going to get a test drive next week and see what I think.

@Ryanb --- pass on the Veloster.... From the parts perspective, they are not holding up to longevity....

The few cars I have purchased, I have had to warranty replace or refund each of the engine and transmissions sales.

And for any vehicle under consideration, you might also research availability and pricing of the major parts. www.car-part.com is where I and many other salvage yards push inventory data so it can be searched by insurance companies, repair shops, and individual car owners.
Thanks for the opinion, Mike. I atleast would like to set up a test drive to get a feel for it. Never rode in one, much less driven one. If nothing else it’ll get it out of my system and I’ll move onto the next prospect. I value your advice, as I know you’ve been in the business for awhile. :)

$15K would get you a used BMW 320i with an out 47K miles. Just a note that maintenance (at the stealership is steep.)

Or the aforementioned Focus ST? Or an Ecoboost Mustang?

Carmax can be your friend here since they’ll have a lot of these vehicles on their lot, so easy to do back-to-back test drives.

$15K would get you a used BMW 320i with an out 47K miles. Just a note that maintenance (at the stealership is steep.)

Or the aforementioned Focus ST? Or an Ecoboost Mustang?

Carmax can be your friend here since they’ll have a lot of these vehicles on their lot, so easy to do back-to-back test drives.
I never let the dealer do any of my maintenance, ever. Only exception would be if it’s under warranty.

I like the hatchbacks, so more than likely that’ll be what I’ll go with. If the Veloster fails, than I’ll move onto the Ford ST. Nothing set in stone quite yet.

What was it that it didn't cover for you?

Nothing so far, we had a small issue that turned out to be nothing. But the car’s b2b warranty is 1y/12kmi. It had expired when we went to resolve it. So I got “we have to diagnose it and if it’s under warranty, we will cover it. If not, you owe us diagnostics fee”. Can you say, “trapped”?

It’s not easy to find out what’s not covered in 5/60 warranty. Best I can tell any trim issues are not covered

Nothing so far, we had a small issue that turned out to be nothing. But the car’s b2b warranty is 1y/12kmi. It had expired when we went to resolve it. So I got “we have to diagnose it and if it’s under warranty, we will cover it. If not, you owe us diagnostics fee”. Can you say, “trapped”?

It’s not easy to find out what’s not covered in 5/60 warranty. Best I can tell any trim issues are not covered

Ah. Was the b2b a factory thing or was it something the dealer offered? Nothing about a one year b2b was mentioned to me.

What's a used car worth?

I use Edmunds. They provide average trade in, average private party price, average dealer price, and average certified dealer price.

https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/

They also provide dealer invoice numbers for new cars and true market value. A great resource.

KBB and NADA seem to be slanted for dealers these days. Artificially low trade-in values and artificially high retail values. They must survive off the people who live in states with legal pot because you gotta be smokin' dope to believe some of their numbers.

Last edited:

Whadaya know about the Ioniq? I don’t even know if they’ve been around long enough to have a history. Just bought one, I pick it up tomorrow. On second thought, don’t answer

Back