N/A —Thinking about a Hyundai Veloster

Ryan, you're young, get something cool. Wranger, Miata, Mustang, BRZ, etc. You'll have plenty of time later in life to own sensible cars ;-)

Ah. Was the b2b a factory thing or was it something the dealer offered? Nothing about a one year b2b was mentioned to me.

Nor to me during sale

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx#2

EDIT: Hyundai doesn't have what most of us think as b2b warranty. They have 5 year/60kmi "New Vehicle Limited Warranty". You have to read it to see that not everything is covered to 5y/60kmi:

• The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/36,000 miles—Equus: 5 years/60,000 miles
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system and Bluetooth®): for MY 16, 5 years/60,000 miles for all models
  • Paint: 3 years/36,000 miles
  • Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year/12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year/12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs and fuses)

Last edited:
Buy American
But, just what in the hell is that these days?

Is a Toyota that's built in the US considered "American?"

Is a Ford that's built in Mexico "American?"

I seriously doubt that there's much, if anything, that's truly 'murican these days.

On second thought, don’t answer

Spoken by someone who's now been around long enough to really know this place! ;)

Whadaya know about the Ioniq? I don’t even know if they’ve been around long enough to have a history. Just bought one, I pick it up tomorrow. On second thought, don’t answer
The only data I can provide on the Ioniq is that I have no requests for any parts. This most likely is due to very few operating in my regional market. And I don't recall any appearing in any of the 35 auction locations I monitor to acquire inventory.

The only data I can provide on the Ioniq is that I have no requests for any parts. This most likely is due to very few operating in my regional market. And I don't recall any appearing in any of the 35 auction locations I monitor to acquire inventory.
Thx

even Chrysler although Fiat owns them now, where most of the manufacture is in the US and most of the money comes here. After that maybe Honda and Toyota although most of those parts are made elsewhere, at least the assembly is done here.

Chrysler Fiat is headquartered in the Netherlands with a tax "HQ" of London, UK.

Honda/Acura, Kia, and Toyota each make a vehicle with more domestic content, not just assembly, than all but 8 other models available on the US market.

In other words, there are only 8 models (not makes) of vehicle more "American" than something available from a "foreign" brand.

Chrysler Fiat is headquartered in the Netherlands with a tax "HQ" of London, UK.

Honda/Acura, Kia, and Toyota each make a vehicle with more domestic content, not just assembly, than all but 8 other models available on the US market.

In other words, there are only 8 models (not makes) of vehicle more "American" than something available from a "foreign" brand.

What are those 8 models?

What are those 8 models?
The little GMC SUV's, the f150, Corvette, Wrangler, Expedition/Navigator, ATS, Taurus, CT6, Cherokee.

I was wrong, 9. If you count sister marquees in the case of the GMC's and the Ford/Lincoln it's like 14.

That was for '17. That also assumes you count a company with a tax base in the UK and corporate HQ in the Netherlands as an American brand.

I honestly couldn't care less, and I worked at a Ford plant.

If I were looking at a Hyundai, the Genesis coupe would be up on the list before the Veloster. Pretty sporty in the 0-60/ 1/4 mile times for the dollar spent. The Genesis G80 is a pretty nice sports sedan, too, for the price.

However, if a hot hatch is your goal, the Focus ST is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went over and looked at the Veloster I was looking at online and I REALLY like it. It had some *minor cosmetic flaws that the ad of course didn’t show which turned me off from that particular build. Going to get a test drive on another one I looked at either tomorrow evening or first of next week. Still weighing my options.

*Quarter panel and bumper didn’t meet each other flush and the roof had been jacked with.

Weird. I was following one in rush hour traffic this morning and had the usual thoughts...

- “He’s going nowhere fast just like the rest of us in traffic.”

- “I don’t think he can see anything out that back slit of a window. Too bad I can’t moon him from the front seat of a Subaru to find out.”

This.

Celia wanted, and we bought, a Jetta turbo. Fun car, tight as a drum, quick, way nicer inside than its price suggested. When she moved on to another car, I decided to keep the Jetta - it only had 6 years and 75,000 miles. Big mistake. The mechanicals started ... dissolving.

It was a shame, really - the body and interior were in perfect shape (made in Mexico); it was the engine (Germany) and the transmission (Japan) that bled me dry.

If VWs were free I'd still walk.

Nauga,
twice bitten

Add me to the “VW can go to hell” list. Same deal, vehicle turned into a maintenance nightmare and had over $13,500 in repairs on the ONLY extended warranty I’ve ever bought and the extended warranty people were MAD about it.

Sent people to the dealership where it had had ALL dealer only maintenance for the few years we owned it, when it tossed a transmission and VWs answer was “not serviceable, replace the entire thing”. They wanted to make sure the dealer wasn’t running a scam.

I never once saw that dealer’s maintenance shop not so busy people were literally running around trying to keep up with all the broken cars and people waiting for them plus regular maintenance. They had thirty bays for vehicles.

Drove nice the first year. That’s about all I can say about the diesel Jetta wagon. By the time we got rid of it at the end of the extended warranty it needed motor mounts, the suspension felt like crap, and the diesel was so clogged up with soot it had lost a lot of horsepower. The turbo lag had gone from “noticeable” to “floor it and maybe it’ll accelerate”. Stuff rattled and squeaked.

It was a cheap POS designed to drive nicely for about a year until components started wearing. Parts were four times as expansive as any other vehicle we ever owned. Thankfully we didn’t pay a penny for them.

But, just what in the hell is that these days?

Is a Toyota that's built in the US considered "American?"

Is a Ford that's built in Mexico "American?"

I seriously doubt that there's much, if anything, that's truly 'murican these days.

Spoken by someone who's now been around long enough to really know this place! ;)

Whichever one leaves the profits here, which considering they’re all multi-nationals, is probably none of them.

Who cares where they’re built? It’s where the profits go and whether you can invest in them, against those same profits in the same market, that counts.

Manufacturing moves wherever the cost of shipping vs massive tax kickbacks given to subsidize jobs is a net gain.

As soon as someplace wants their normal tax rate, somewhere else will bankroll a new facility and give new tax kickbacks, and the old building will stand empty.

Sold my Volvo yesterday and I’m now looking for a new ride. Looking at the Hyundai Veloster’s and strongly considering one. Anybody have any experience or currently own one?

Hyundai?

That’s the car you get when you wait till the last minute to rent a car.

For that money I’d look at used WRXs.

WAAAAY more car for your buck, and much more fun too, plus better resale...because they make a more desired used car.

Hyundai?

WAAAAY more car for your buck, and much more fun too, plus better resale...because they make a more desired used car.
Have you checked used car prices recently? WRX’s are on average 10k higher than the best model Veloster. I’m not looking to drop 25k-30k.

Hyundai?

Good luck looking for an unmodified not beat on WRX, bro!

Have you checked used car prices recently? WRX’s are on average 10k higher than the best model Veloster. I’m not looking to drop 25k-30k.

You can get a older nice one for 18ish

Good luck looking for an unmodified not beat on WRX, bro!

This is very true. I poked around at WRX/STis a few years ago, they're very hard to find in unmolested condition (especially the hatchback).

You can get a older nice one for 18ish
You can, but as Bill said, the good majority of them have been beat to ****! Hard to find a good one for the right price. I haven't been able to come across one that meets my budget and still looks to be in good shape locally.

Heck even a used mini would be better.

Heck even a used mini would be better.

IMHO, this is actually a pretty good suggestion. I had a 2005 Mini Cooper S for awhile, talk about an absolute blast to drive. It's basically a 200hp go-kart, and they're roomier inside than you'd expect. Downsides are they're expensive to buy, use basically BMW parts ($$$), and they're a pain in the ass to work on.

Sorry to hear of the VW horror stories. I’ve heard the same from others, but my experiences have not been the same. Had a 2011 Jetta TDI that I put 250,000 trouble free miles onto. Heck, it was still running on the factory (OEM) brake pads until VW offered to buy it back for $15K due to the diesel emissions scandal. I literally replaced nothing on that vehicle except for normal oil and filter changes per schedule. My wife’s 2011 Touareg has also been similarly trouble free. Great vehicle that she adores. Absolutely no issues with that vehicle at all with only regular scheduled service.

What about a used Chevrolet Volt (seriously). While not quick, the torque from the electric motors make it feel faster than it really is. And it has a hatchback, though not quite as spacious as one would assume. A colleague had two and both were flawless to the point of being an appliance, but otherwise worked fine.

But if you’re looking for a relatively young fun hatchback, as suggested previously, a Ford Focus ST would be hard to beat: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2014-ford-focus-st-st3/6638898873.html

Or if willing to go slightly older (2013), what about a Subaru XV Crosstrek?

If you want a good value, look for a 3yr old Camry or Accord with 30k something miles on the clock. Not exciting, but would last you a long time. Something like https://www.economyhonda.com/used/H...ttanooga-b31999460a0e0ae74dbfa4999e9bbd22.htm for instance.
Bill, that's good advice. I'd also add checking out a Fusion hybrid. I just bought a second hand 2017, after having done lots of research. Reliability and safety ratings are high, and I'm getting average 46 MPG.

Don’t get a used Mini. Had a 2005 S as well and while fun to drive, parts are outrageously expensive. Should’ve learned my lesson on my Audi A4 and stayed away from German cars. Heard the same about VWs from everyone I work with.

A turbo Veloster or a Genesis Coupe, if you can find one in your price range, is the way to go. Could even go with an old Stealth or 3000GT.

Another VW viewpoint- The wife has a 2012 Tiguan and has zero issues besides 2 warranty nuisance items. She has low miles, I think about 28000 miles, but its been rock solid. Perfect for her, 4wd fast and nice size.

Don’t get a used Mini. Had a 2005 S as well and while fun to drive, parts are outrageously expensive. Should’ve learned my lesson on my Audi A4 and stayed away from German cars. Heard the same about VWs from everyone I work with.

A turbo Veloster or a Genesis Coupe, if you can find one in your price range, is the way to go. Could even go with an old Stealth or 3000GT.

Never saw a 3000GT that didn't have a rear bumper that wasn't black with oil soot, lol. Get a 300ZX and go faster with less oil burn. ;)

If you want a good value, look for a 3yr old Camry or Accord with 30k something miles on the clock. Not exciting, but would last you a long time. Something like https://www.economyhonda.com/used/H...ttanooga-b31999460a0e0ae74dbfa4999e9bbd22.htm for instance.
Yeah I actually looked at Economy yesterday. They have a few Civic’s that are decent and nicely priced. Going to check out Gray Epperson this evening and see what they have as far as the Veloster’s are concerned, but I’m not stuck on those.

Found a Veloster at Carmax Atlanta that *looks* to be exactly what I’m wanting and they say they can transfer it here for no charge or obligation, so I might go that route. Still checking around.
Thanks man.

Went and test drove a Veloster tonight and I had mixed feelings. Didn’t drive the Turbo variant yet, but the standard 4-banger wasn’t impressive at all performance wise. Jetting off from a red light and I was up around 5k RPM to get moving 30-40 mph. Overall it felt a little cheap, and the looks are certainly deceiving.

Ended up finding a 2017 Toyota Yaris for $13,500 that I like. 22k miles, 32mpg-city/40-highway. Interior was immaculate and it handled very well. So far that’s what I’ll likely lean toward as seems like a lot of car for the price, but I’m planning to look another day tomorrow at a few more places and than make a decision next week. Appreciate everyone’s recommendations and advice.

Last edited:
Owned a 14 Veloster (non-turboed) 6 speed for 1 1/2 years, in the 28k miles i drove it i had a love hate relationship with it, fun car to drive even with the lower hp (132 iirc). My biggest issues where tire life, 90% highway driven and tires lasted 12-15k miles, messed with toe checks and alignments at a couple diffrent shops, maybe just an oddball, also had issues during the summer of overheating with ac on going down the highway. Just what i observed maybe other have seen diffrent.

Went and test drove a Veloster tonight and I had mixed feelings. Didn’t drive the Turbo variant yet, but the standard 4-banger wasn’t impressive at all performance wise. Jetting off from a red light and I was up around 5k RPM to get moving 30-40 mph. Overall it felt a little cheap, and the looks are certainly deceiving.

Ended up finding a 2017 Toyota Yaris for $13,500 that I like. 22k miles, 32mpg-city/40-highway. Interior was immaculate and it handled very well. So far that’s what I’ll likely lean toward as seems like a lot of car for the price, but I’m planning to look another day tomorrow at a few more places and than make a decision next week. Appreciate everyone’s recommendations and advice.

From looking at various hot hatches to a Yaris? Come on man... :)

From looking at various hot hatches to a Yaris? Come on man... :)
Yeah I know, I did a 180! :)

Haven’t closed the deal though, so it’s not over......yet.

Yeah I know, I did a 180! :)

Haven’t closed the deal though, so it’s not over......yet.

Tomorrow is Saturday. Go drive a Focus ST, a GTI and, if you can find a decent example, a WRX. Go from there, especially before you cave and get some generic boring econobox.

Tomorrow is Saturday. Go drive a Focus ST, a GTI and, if you can find a decent example, a WRX. Go from there, especially before you cave and get some generic boring econobox.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find any of those used, that are in decent shape and/or have low miles, within budget. I liked the Veloster because it looks sweet and it’s in my price range, but my first impression wasn’t too hot with the standard 4.

As boring as it sounds, I’m all for value and econ. I need something practical that’s within budget. The new Yaris’ are actually really nice cars—and that’s coming from a 21 year old guy. :)

Planning to run up to another Honda dealer close by and check out some other Civic’s tomorrow.

Even BRZ can be had for around 15k

Even BRZ can be had for around 15k
If you can find one that hasn’t been beat to all ****. I’ve scoured AutoTrader and such, and I haven’t been able to come across much that meets the requirements.

If you can find one that hasn’t been beat to all ****. I’ve scoured AutoTrader and such, and I haven’t been able to come across much that meets the requirements.

I see some ‘15 for around 15k on autotrader.

Back