My pet peeve

Donny Hughes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Taildrager
I hate the way the change is handed back after a purchase. They give it back in a wad that leaves me standing there with my bilfold in one hand and coins paper money and a receipt in the other .

Places exist that don't take Apple Pay?

Pssshh...

What kind of old person still uses cash?

Pssshh...

What kind of old person still uses cash?
I do....:D I guess I'm old just turned 61...:rolleyes:
edit: I must say most of the cashiers would not have been hired "in the day, they can't count change back without looking at the register (that gives the change amount)

I'm only a year behind you Bill. But, I've about reached the point to where I find it too much of a hassle to use cash most of the time. I just put it all on the card with the chip in it, and go online to pay the balance off a couple of times a month. It actually helps me keep track of where my money is going. Frick'n new-fangled technology sheesh!!!

I also am 61 as of 24 of June . It will not be long before there is no cash . And that's by plan .

I can probably count the number of times I use cash in a year on one hand.

I always keep a little cash. The only time I really use it though is when I tip the hotel van drivers. Plastic for everything else. 99.9% of businesses accept credit. If they don’t, I usually just leave and find some other business that does.

I do....:D I guess I'm old just turned 61...:rolleyes:
edit: I must say most of the cashiers would not have been hired "in the day, they can't count change back without looking at the register (that gives the change amount)

they probably would have and learned to make change. they don't now because there is no need to. don't make them stoopid.

Plastic is great but it’s hard on the girls at the club to carry the card reader around in their g string.

On a more serious note, I use my rewards credit card to pay for almost everything. I pay most of my bills online but I do have a couple of payments where I need to write a check. Still, I do like to keep a little cash on me just in case I find myself in a situation that requires it.

they probably would have and learned to make change. they don't now because there is no need to. don't make them stoopid.

I think you're wrong, but there is a simple way to test your theory and prove me wrong.

Next time you buy something and the cashier rings it up, just before they hand you your change, throw in that extra few cents that rounds your change off to an even number, and see how long it takes them to figure out what the correct change should be.

I think you're wrong, but there is a simple way to test your theory and prove me wrong.

Next time you buy something and the cashier rings it up, just before they hand you your change, throw in that extra few cents that rounds your change off to an even number, and see how long it takes them to figure out what the correct change should be.

In other words, be a dick. ;)

I don't know how cashiers are supposed to give you your change. Thinking about it, there really is no efficient way. On the rare times I pay cash, I usually get the bills, receipt, coin sandwich as my change and yes, its a PITA but I can't think of another way.

When they hand me cash back I reach out with my palm down and grasp the bills and tilt them towards the cashier. They instinctively catch the coins and I put the bills in my wallet and then reach out for the coins.

Our at the deli counter, instead of a quarter or half lb., ask for 1/3 or 2/3 lb. of cold cuts and watch the puzzled expression. Good for all ages.

Our at the deli counter, instead of a quarter or half lb., ask for 1/3 or 2/3 lb. of cold cuts and watch the puzzled expression. Good for all ages.
That’s weird. I hear people order in thirds all the time at my supermarket deli.

I hate the way the change is handed back after a purchase. They give it back in a wad that leaves me standing there with my bilfold in one hand and coins paper money and a receipt in the other .

Actually, my pet peeve is those who use cash and hold up everyone in the line. Worse is when someone decides to dig through their purse to find the exact coins that will round out the change.

Actually, my pet peeve is those who use cash and hold up everyone in the line. Worse is when someone decides to dig through their purse to find the exact coins that will round out the change.

Takes longer to swipe and enter the pin than it does to hand em a 5er and tell em to put the pennies in the extra penny tray.

My preference (I use cash whenever possible) is to get the coins first, then the bills. I can palm the coins while I put the bills in my money clip, and then drop the whole works in my pocket.

There’s one gas station chain that, at least locally, apparently trains their employees to make change without over-reliance on the till.

To the OP, that's been a pet peeve of mine for years. When I worked retail in the 80s I intentionally handed back the bills first, then the coins.

throw in that extra few cents that rounds your change off to an even number, and see how long it takes them to figure out what the correct change should be.

I quit doing that a long time ago. It confused them so often and I was shorted more often than not and it's just not worth the time to try and explain it.

I'm all cash or credit card in retail stores - those are not places where it's smart to use a debit card . . .

I griped to a cashier about handing me change, bills, and a receipt in one fell swoop - she gave me the "do you know how may people come through here a day" . . I told her "one less, starting tomorrow". . .

Now I tip the coins into my other hand, pocket them, lay the receipt on the counter, while I put the bills in my wallet, then stick the receipt into the bag. I don't dawdle, but not in a hurry, either.

if there is a line behind me, I will take that whole wad and shove it in my right front pocket. I then sort it out when I'm back in my truck, or when I get home later.

My pet peeve are people who drive 10 miles under the speed limit because they're such safe drivers, but then run red lights when turning right, run stop signs, make illegal lane changes and cant park a prius to save their life!

Reminds me of that old joke, 'If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalks'!

My pet peeve are people who drive 10 miles under the speed limit because they're such safe drivers, but then run red lights when turning right, run stop signs, make illegal lane changes and cant park a prius to save their life!

Reminds me of that old joke, 'If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalks'!
You almost perfectly described my view on German drivers. Additiinally, they will do 80 in a 100 and then that same 80 in a 70 construction zone. Sometimes I feel like all the cars are stuck on 80. Drives me crazy. (speeds in kmh)

Here in Mexico, by design, most all purchases are done with cash. And I'm amazed at the cultural inability to make change.

The cashiers can count it okay, but often don't have a cash drawer capable of supporting the transaction. It's amazing as hell.

In the States, at least, you begin your day with a cash drawer stocked with a good amount of smaller currency. Here, you start out basically empty, and expect transactions to supply the change for the day.

This isn't limited to small shops. It's even afflicted the grocery stores. If it's near the beginning of their shift, they can't do change when I hand them a $200 to buy a $57 transaction. (18:1 conversion). Clerks often reach into their own wallets/purses, to try and accommodate.

When I talk to locals about it, they kinda shrug their shoulders and agree.

Back