My love / hate feelings for locked threads...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Confession time: when I log into this site, and see a locked thread, I go right to it! I loooove the locked threads! They really bring me joy, and I don't know why, but they do!

Then I realize I can't participate, and I get bummed.

I think I need help. LTA, locked threads anonymous, here I come.

Hey, I see you like IBTL, so I got you some IBTL to go with your IBTL.

THzUmSo.gif

Confession time: when I log into this site, and see a locked thread, I go right to it! I loooove the locked threads! They really bring me joy, and I don't know why, but they do!

Then I realize I can't participate, and I get bummed.

I think I need help. LTA, locked threads anonymous, here I come.

:D I'm the same way. Spicy salsa beats bland every time.

It helps that there is a morning list of Reports from the triggered users on the site who crave MC intervention -- to help me find the most caliente threads to read while sipping morning tea and suffering zoom calls.

...also IBTL :dunno:

:D I'm the same way. Spicy salsa beats bland every time.

It helps that there is a morning list of Reports from the triggered users on the site who crave MC intervention -- to help me find the most caliente threads to read while sipping morning tea and suffering zoom calls.

But, as a fellow LTA member, I'm sure you realize that not all locked threads give you the same "heat", if you will. Some are posted with a lock in mind, and those are not to my liking. My personal favorites are the threads that start off oh-so-innocently, then go bad. I excitedly read along as they start to creep ever so closer to that inevitable lock. I giggle with excitement with each contributor's reference to a logic fallacy: "Ad hominin!" "Strawman!" "Appeal to authority!" "Red herring!" Oh what fun!

But, as a fellow LTA member, I'm sure you realize that not all locked threads give you the same "heat", if you will. Some are posted with a lock in mind, and those are not to my liking. My personal favorites are the threads that start off oh-so-innocently, then go bad. I excitedly read along as they start to creep ever so closer to that inevitable lock. I giggle with excitement with each contributor's reference to a logic fallacy: "Ad hominin!" "Strawman!" "Appeal to authority!" "Red herring!" Oh what fun!

:D I'll get some badges made that we can pass out.

It helps that the bar is set pretty high among pilots, so even bad debate here is decent and thought-provoking (mostly). If I ever think we've devolved past the unsupportable, I need only hop over to reddit, facebook, or, ugh, youtube comments, and realize life is better over here, even when it's bad. When Spin Zone was a thing, even at its most toxic, it seemed rather tame. At least the insults were polysyllabic and generally spelled correctly. :D

But yeah, meanness for the sake of meanness/trolling sucks and ruins the spirit for me.

Well, it seems to be a very effective technique frequently used by a select few to suppress threads about subjects they don’t want to allow people to discuss.

I’m sure the MC deals with these offenders in the unbiased and even handed approach we have all come to expect from them.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! ITS HAPPENING TO MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where does one find this report?

If I see one more stupid COVID thread! Because 24/7 coverage on TV isn’t enough I guess. Here’s a novel idea, spend more time flying and less time worrying about things you can’t change. ;)

Last edited:
Resignation: “What’s the use?”

Finally, pilots with an attitude of resignation lack the confidence and conviction to believe they can make a difference in what happens to them. These pilots tend to give up easily when faced with challenges and don’t take criticism well. This attitude is particularly dangerous for pilots in an emergency situation because they may believe they are helpless and resign to their fate instead of taking action.

Which has nothing to do with my post. I don’t lack confidence and conviction. You can keep trying to preach to others on how to live their lives and I’ll live my life as I see fit.

I’m confused. How, exactly, did I instruct you on how to live your life with that statement? I thought you just wanted something aviation related.

I totally agree, I do not find you lacking in either confidence or conviction.

Your statement about resignation. I haven’t resigned to anything. My comment about not worrying about what you can’t change is about people’s beliefs.

Example, I work with a flight nurse who’s adamant about not getting the vaccine. While I’m a believer in the benefits of the vaccine, I know there’s nothing I can say to convince her to get it. It’s not even my position to even try and convince her. I’m not a medical professional. Therefore, I don’t worry about things (people’s attitudes) that I can’t change.

I’ve been toying with the idea of necroposting to an old thread (or three) about Climate Change……how long before that’ll get locked?…..or will it ignite a discussion on this thread leading to lock?…..or have all the deniers gone to hide somewhere?….getting close yet?….

I engaged in a locked thread conversation this afternoon in the pub. Nobody died. Nobody soiled their pants. No fights started. Some disagreements were obvious and polarizing. But everyone got though it. As friends. Friends with disagreements, but as friends.

I engaged in a locked thread conversation this afternoon in the pub. Nobody died. Nobody soiled their pants. No fights started. Some disagreements were obvious and polarizing. But everyone got though it. As friends. Friends with disagreements, but as friends.

That’s the lovely thing about in-person communication, instead of trolls who hide behind a keyboard on the internet. If everyone could handle Spin Zone-like discussions with some level of civility and maturity, than we would allow it to take place in the Sub-Forums. As far as I’m concerned, I (and I think ‘we’) hear enough about those topics in the media on a daily basis, so it’s nice to escape it here. :)

…or one could behave like an adult instead and not intentionally try to get a thread locked because that person can’t handle being exposed to ideas that differ from their own.

I appreciate someone taking the time to start this thread and raise awareness about a handful of people using this technique repeatedly to intentionally chill free speech on this forum.
Touched a juvenile nerve did I?
We were, in this thread, discussing the sometimes fine line of IBTL, not climate change. I can see you don’t understand where we are here.

Not locked yet???

Ok, How about -
COVID/Delta, Trump, Biden, Masks/No Masks, Vaccine/Anti-Vax, in school/virtual.....

More controversial -
High wing/lo wing, track-up/north-up, running over-square, LOP/ROP, in-flight mag checks or not, proper pattern entry, pick up clearance airborne/on ground, buy forever plane (Bo, duh) first, should I try to be a pro pylot even though I have 10 DUIs, lettuce wrap or bun, turbo or non-turbo, Boeing or Airbus, ForeFlight/GaRmInPyLot, iPad/Android, Mac/PC, Windows/Linux.... ah there is prolly more but imma get banned now anyway

……free speech on this forum.
That’s rich. POA is a private entity not subject to censorship constraints embedded in the First Amendment. Additionally, as a term/condition of using this site, users expressly consent to having their content censored for any reason at any time.

To wit, review the terms and rules:

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

Source: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/terms

That’s rich. POA is a private entity not subject to censorship constraints embedded in the First Amendment. Additionally, as a term/condition of using this site, users expressly consent to having their content censored for any reason at any time.

To wit, review the terms and rules:

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

Source: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/terms
Right on
https://xkcd.com/1357

More controversial -
High wing/lo wing, track-up/north-up, running over-square, LOP/ROP, in-flight mag checks or not, proper pattern entry, pick up clearance airborne/on ground, buy forever plane (Bo, duh) first, should I try to be a pro pylot even though I have 10 DUIs, lettuce wrap or bun, turbo or non-turbo, Boeing or Airbus, ForeFlight/GaRmInPyLot, iPad/Android, Mac/PC, Windows/Linux.... ah there is prolly more but imma get banned now anyway

keurig/drip/French press.

Stack firewood bark-up, or bark-down? (Norwegians will understand...)

@PlasticCigar,
I'm trying to figure out from your posts whether you think that PoA moderates too agressively ("intentionally chill free speech"..."censored aviation related forum...") or doesn't moderate aggressively enough ("online bullies who gang up on people and say inappropriate things are able to do so...")

...That's OK. My long experience as a college professor has taught me that when half your students think the class is too hard, and the other half think it's not hard enough, then you're probably walking a line that is about right.

Back to the funny stuff! "Slip to a landing" is the best crosswind technique.

Back