My iPad died

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I have an iPad mini, I think 2 years old that for all intents and purposes is deader than the proverbial doornob. Won't turn on despite the presence of copious juice.

I would be far more honked off than I already am if it wasn't for the fact that in the many many years I've owned Apple products, I think this might be the first one to break before it went obsolete. Heck, I have a laptop from the 2000's that still works just fine except its too dang old.

I think I'll wait until Apple announces whatever it announces later this month before I sink another pile of cash into another one. Fortunately, my old Garmin 296 works just fine, albeit slowly.

Last edited:
I have an iPad mini, I think 2 years old that for all intensive purposes is deader than the proverbial doornail. Won't turn on despite the presence of copious juice.

I would be far more honked off than I already am if it wasn't for the fact that in the many many years I've owned Apple products, I think this might be the first one to break before it went obsolete. Heck, I have a laptop from the 2000's that still works just fine except its too dang old.

I think I'll wait until Apple announces whatever it announces later this month before I sink another pile of cash into another one. Fortunately, my old Garmin 296 works just fine, albeit slowly.
It could be something repairable. Some of those Iphone repair places can give you a free estimate. I had a broken charging port fixed for around $80, and they added a new battery for $40 while they were in there. It worked like new after that. $120 was a bit much, but it was cheaper than buying a new device.

I have an iPad mini, I think 2 years old that for all intensive purposes is deader than the proverbial doornail.

It's "all intents and purposes" for crying out loud. There are no "intensive purposes."

Further, I'm unaware of a doornail in any proverb. Or a proverb with a door nail. a door mouse, a doorman.

But yah, the apple gang kick out a lot of stuff that doesn't stand "the test of time." [See that? Who administers that test, what is the rating scale....]

I had Ipad 2 go dead but not because something was wrong with electronics or the battery but the socket on the Ipad wore out and you could no longer plug cable into it and charge it. I was told it wasn't repairable.

It's "all intents and purposes" for crying out loud. There are no "intensive purposes."

My mistake, thanks for pointing it out. I suppose this could be a charging issue, since it was plugged in but I didn't notice the charge level. Perhaps I'll go find a repair facility while waiting for Apple's big announcement.

Further, I'm unaware of a doornail in any proverb. Or a proverb with a door nail. a door mouse, a doorman.

But yah, the apple gang kick out a lot of stuff that doesn't stand "the test of time." [See that? Who administers that test, what is the rating scale....]

You are correct about all intents and purposes. However his use of proverbial is an accepted use.

Had my iPad seem dead once. After calling Apple, I held the home button and on/off button simultaneously down for 15 seconds (IIRC) and it booted right up.

Cheers

X3 Skier has something you can try. Sometimes the iPad becomes unresponsive. While plugged in to power, you can hold the home button and the power buttons and keep it held until you see an Apple logo appear. If after a minute or two and no Apple logo, I'd say it would then be safe to call that iPad "more dead than a door nail." (Spelling courtesy of Ravioli.). ;)

Two related questions:
1) Will ForeFlight ever be ported to Android?
2) WIll Apple kill the mini?

Try a different charge cube and cord. That's a common failure point.

Do a forced reboot.

Good news. The hold power and home button Jedi mind trick worked like a charm. Despite being plugged in the iPad was bereft of power. It is now charged up and I am writing this on it. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will jVe to keep a close eye on it to see where the fault lies. The other good news today is I washed the Lucky Strike, my Mooney M20c. Tomorrow she gets a wax job.

The Mini is most likely done as there aren't any fresh rumors of a Mini 5 in the works. September 12th will be for the three iPhones, Apple TV, Watch, and maybe a couple of other things but it doesn't look like any iPads will be introduced. The latest Pro 10.5 was released a few months ago and it's amazing, albeit quite larger than the Mini.

Good news. The hold power and home button Jedi mind trick worked like a charm. Despite being plugged in the iPad was bereft of power. It is now charged up and I am writing this on it. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will jVe to keep a close eye on it to see where the fault lies. The other good news today is I washed the Lucky Strike, my Mooney M20c. Tomorrow she gets a wax job.
I have had this happen to my iPhone twice. This summer it died again and it would not restart. I drove to the ATT Store to get a new one and tried it one more time and it worked. The tech at the store thought something overheated in the phone and the sensor had to cool before it would work again.

Two related questions:
1) Will ForeFlight ever be ported to Android?
2) WIll Apple kill the mini?

1) Very unlikely.
2) Probably, but we still don't know for sure.

...and unless something changes in a big way, it becomes more unlikely as time goes on.

I think FF has zero interest in moving away from the iPad, and who can blame them? Homogenized development environment, and most of aviation uses the iPad anyway. I wouldn't even dream of it if I was in codemonkey's shoes.

I think FF has zero interest in moving away from the iPad, and who can blame them? Homogenized development environment, and most of aviation uses the iPad anyway. I wouldn't even dream of it if I was in codemonkey's shoes.
I think we're on the same page (or maybe these days, tablet screen :D).

When will ForeFlight port to Microsoft Surface?

Then it would work on a useful device.

[Ravioli runs away, safe in his knowledge that most arrow shooters can't hit such nimble little target]

When will ForeFlight port to Microsoft Surface?

Then it would work on a useful device.

[Ravioli runs away, safe in his knowledge that most arrow shooters can't hit such nimble little target]

Don't suggest that at my airline! The Surface is not making people happy!

Rumors are flying that Jepp may abandon Windows app and concentrate on ForeFlight partnership for their airline contracts.

But rumors are as plentiful in the airlines as mosquito bites in Minnesota.

Good news. The hold power and home button Jedi mind trick worked like a charm. Despite being plugged in the iPad was bereft of power. It is now charged up and I am writing this on it. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will jVe to keep a close eye on it to see where the fault lies.

One nice thing about Apple is their phone tech support has been great whenever I contacted them. Easy to understand, thorough discussion and so far all the advice has solved whatever few problems I've had. The Genius Bar at my local Apple Store has been hit or miss.

Glad the tip worked.

Cheers

My wife & I were talking & she said the phrase for all intents and purposes was merely word salad. So we tried to think of a more concise synonym. All I could come up with was "actually" so I asked Alexa and learned 2 things:
  1. for all intents and purposes means in every practical sense (which sounds like more salad) and;
  2. Word salad means jumble of incoherent speech as sometimes heard in schizophrenia.
So there you go.

I cannot tell you guys how many times my wife has come up to me over the last 7 or 8 years and tells me her i units are dead.

I pick them up and force a hard reboot and they come back - after whatever catastrophic event caused the original electron storm. And she looks at me with that ****ed look women get when they don't know as much as you, and realize that you've told before how to fix it and they weren't paying attention. I try not to smile - but I walk away to avoid a visible smirk.

Its like the argument we had over women's equality. I suggested that perhaps she could go out back to the shed and carry the 60lb set up bag of cement that got caught in the rain, as she's all equal and stuff. It's still sitting there - but she stopped complaining about it.

@steingar for future real failure reference, keep in mind that Apple has a program with flat rate replacement prices for dead devices. The prices are very low compared to new. They're refurbs with a reasonable warranty, too. Depending on device and age, it can be as cheap as a couple hundred bucks to replace an older device that died with a brand new refurb that also has a new battery in it with no cycles, extending the value of the first purchase for years at a reasonable price.

Back