My hose is longer than I realized

Without reading more than a few posts, if you have a few feet of dirt on one end to the other to work with, you can jet a pipe underneath the slab using water pressure. It doesn't take much. Go through the same area that your old hoes hose (dictated this and didn't catch it on my proofreading) goes through and it should be pretty soft.

Last edited:
Without reading more than a few posts, if you have a few feet of dirt on one end to the other to work with, you can jet a pipe underneath the slab using water pressure. It doesn't take much. Go through the same area that your old hoes goes through and it should be pretty soft.

Ordinarily the answer, but the problem is that the skimmer, where the other end connects, is surrounded by deck, so no easy access to terminate the other end.

Ordinarily the answer, but the problem is that the skimmer, where the other end connects, is surrounded by deck, so no easy access to terminate the other end.

Well, if he wants a professional-looking job of it, I would cut out a square near the skimmer to make my receiving pit. Maybe 18in by 18in. Then shoot a pipe from wherever you can get a straight shot and pipe it back to a tee off the bib. Or just use a $2 hose repair piece from Ace Hardware.

If you want a serious answer, there's a company called Flow Mole that uses a water jet to bore horizontal holes replace underground water lines. No clue what it would cost.

What diameters does PEX come in? Maybe find a diameter that fits inside the present hose and use it as a guide to the slimmer?

I'm going to try to replace the bad section and make it look as nice as possible. that realistically is a much better option than where my head was this morning thinking I'm just going to grab this whole thing in flex tape

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTUBE-Dia-...s=gateway&sprefix=spa+flex+3/4,aps,155&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/ION-TOOL-Pol...13MM44GJZSJWSW&psc=1&qid=1569797050&s=gateway

https://www.amazon.com/Genova-Produ...5&s=gateway&sprefix=3/4+pvc+co,aps,154&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Lasco-Hose-A...s=gateway&sprefix=3/4+pvc+hose,aps,168&sr=8-1

These are the things I would buy. Hopefully you can find a shorter piece of pipe at a home depot or plumbing supply. Use the PVC glue, it welds the joint, don't skimp on the glue. Buy the cutter too, it will save aggravation. This should be a piece of cake to fix, unless the hose it too far gone.

Based on that first picture, you have 2 hoses.

I would start from left to right - trace the hose on the left and find where it terminates. Then, carefully so you don't trip and spill your beer, move that end until it hangs over the pool edge and into the water. Then open up the faucet and admire your work.

Based on that first picture, you have 2 hoses.

I would start from left to right - trace the hose on the left and find where it terminates. Then, carefully so you don't trip and spill your beer, move that end until it hangs over the pool edge and into the water. Then open up the faucet and admire your work.
Very well thought out and technical response. LOL

Put an elbow on the faucet with a nozzle pointed up at an angle that will squirt the water into the pool in a big arc.

Easy fix. More fun.

Sell the house and move to a place a little north of Fort Worth called Westlake....

....anyone that can afford an airplane can afford to move to Westlake.....:lol:

Put an elbow on the faucet with a nozzle pointed up at an angle that will squirt the water into the pool in a big arc.

Easy fix. More fun.

And feed it through a statue of a nekkid kid.

manneken-pis-peeing-boy-nude-600x785.jpg

Once you fix the hose, paint it. It will protect the new hose from UV damage.

So... what is the benefit of this setup?

Does the skimmer have a float on it to keep the level automatically? Or, is it just to avoid dragging a hose?

IMPO Pools are not an asset... they are work.
BTDT a couple of times.

What I want to know is... What nimrod installs an unground pool with a concrete deck and doesn't install a fill system with pipe and permanent connection to the water supply? And what building inspector approves this kind of underground hose? Or was it just not inspected?!?

BTDT a couple of times.

What I want to know is... What nimrod installs an unground pool with a concrete deck and doesn't install a fill system with pipe and permanent connection to the water supply? And what building inspector approves this kind of underground hose? Or was it just not inspected?!?

Building inspectors check pool plumbing?

My experience here in one of the best managed counties in Georgia is that inspectors are stretched pretty thin and are mostly concerned with safetly and health stuff like depth of trenches, shored trenches (where necessary), sewer connections, and setbacks. I don't think they are particularly interested in the details of pool plumbing. Is it different elsewhere?

So... what is the benefit of this setup?

Does the skimmer have a float on it to keep the level automatically? Or, is it just to avoid dragging a hose?

That's the long and short of it.

I've had two pools. One on the float and one with one zone of my sprinklers plumbed (pvc) to the skimmer basket.

Two good automation methods so I never had to think about water level.

If yours is simply a valve you open manually without rolling up the hose afterwards, I'd consider going full manual.

There are companies that specialize in horizontal drilling for the purpose of running electrical wires and tubing. I'm sure your city contracts them to run wires to street lights etc. You might want to use their services.

I love fixing things around the house. My girlfriend thinks I'm a superhero just because I replaced the central vacuum cleaner motor this Saturday (was raining anyway) with a new unit that's less noisy and sucks a lot.

Just like planes and boats, the two best days of pool ownership...

No more pools for me ever, what a hassle.

Reactions: Ted
Find the largest size hose you can find that will fit inside the broken hose and snake it through. MIght look at rigid pex as an option. Must be protected from UV exposure though.

If the hose below ground is in good shape, (probably is since it's doesn't get flexed nor UV exposed) then get a good quality commercial hose, dig around the existing hose, cut the appropriate end off the commercial grade hose and couple it onto the underground portion of the old hose, cover the coupling so that all the exposed hose is the commercial hose and stop worrying about it.

I've got commercial hoses that are pushing 30 years old (3 houses ago) that are still just fine, though stiff. UV hasn't hurt them, being left laying in the yard hasn't hurt them. They ain't cheap, but they will last for a loooong time.

I'm gonna be the jerk here by being the one to say "STOP USING THAT LINE!" That's a cheap, thin piece of temporary plastic. It's probably already leaking underneath, and if it's not then it will soon. It's going to erode the soil that's underneath your patio and pool. You won't be able to use the old line as a guide to run a larger line over the old one. You can try to run a smaller line through the inside of the existing line, something rated for outdoor use, but to be honest I don't think you'll be successful because it's going to snag on the corrugation.

Easy fix. More fun.
I'm gonna be the jerk here by being the one to say "STOP USING THAT LINE!" That's a cheap, thin piece of temporary plastic. It's probably already leaking underneath, and if it's not then it will soon. It's going to erode the soil that's underneath your patio and pool. You won't be able to use the old line as a guide to run a larger line over the old one. You can try to run a smaller line through the inside of the existing line, something rated for outdoor use, but to be honest I don't think you'll be successful because it's going to snag on the corrugation.
^^^^^
:yeahthat:

Once you get the parts, it's a 1/2 hour fix. As long as the hose underground isn't compromised, the repair should last another 10 years. That pipe is made for that application. I'd fix it.

No more pools for me ever, what a hassle.

No kidding. We had our pool in Ohio and by far spent more time working on it and maintaining it than we spent in it. And it wasn't particularly zen like, it was just a lot of work.

If we lived someplace where it would be used every day in the summer and the summer was longer, it might be worthwhile. As for us we'll stick to the hot tub. It still requires work, but the work to use ratio is much better.

Probably 3 times a week in the summer. once a month in the winter and spring.
Water evaporates quickly in the summer.

You've got a leak somewhere. I've added water 3x this year to our pool in Georgia and it hasn't rained here in a month...

Oh, and about your hose. You realize that most older hoses have either stoppage or leakage problems.

Back