My hose is longer than I realized

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Need pilot help stat!

So I have this hose that runs from the faucet underground to my pool so I can fill it easily.
This hose now has several leaks and that one obvious professional repair near the top.

Today was the day I thought "I'm sure it just connects to some PVC pipe in the ground"
I have dug more than the picture below shows and as far as I can tell, this hose goes under my concrete patio (They added the pool and patio in 1 project.

How does one go about replacing this hose?

20190929_084015_resized.jpg

Where/how does the water from the hose enter the pool?

If you can get to both ends of the hose and break it loose, so you can pull it back and forth, you can drag a new hose under the pavement using the old hose. I have a similar situation, where my two skimmers Y together somewhere, that I need to dig up in the spring. Of course, it's in a spot where I cannot get the backhoe.

Wow, what a hack job. Need more pics, but obviously the hose needs to be replaced, with a pipe under the slab anyway. I'd do it myself, dig a hole at each end of the hose, get some 1 inch pvc, make it long enough to go from hole to hole. The follow the instructions in this video. When it's through, put an elbow on each end to bring it above ground as you like, put hose fittings on and set it up the way you want.

Rent a concrete saw to uncover the connection into the skimmer, cut it so you can put a plate over it when you are done.

Where is the connection to the pool? Can you just run PVC instead? Jet it under the patio.

Oh no, lol. If you are up to it, you could run the pipe over to the left under the grass, then get a straight shot. I would either abandon what you have now and run a hose each time, try it myself or call a guy to do it. A concrete guy would be able to make a cut near the skimmer, then make it look like nothing happened when he was done.

Last edited:
Having been a pool tech, fresh out of high school, You are better served to run a new line. My only alternative to busting concrete is running a smaller, flexible line down the center of the old line. 50/50 if it works. Any 90's in the orig line and you are SOL.

Is there a way to cut the hose near the dirt and run a slightly larger hose over the free end and then adapt it back to the spigot.
No way I am investing money into having someone cut concrete, etc. I would sooner cut this hose, fill in the hole and use an actual water hose to fill the pool or just angle one of the sprinkler heads into it.

Is there a way to cut the hose near the dirt and run a slightly larger hose over the free end and then adapt it back to the spigot.
No way I am investing money into having someone cut concrete, etc. I would sooner cut this hose, fill in the hole and use an actual water hose to fill the pool or just angle one of the sprinkler heads into it.

So is the hole only at the duct tape? If so, then yes, you should be able to fix it. I would cut it a few inches from the fitting, not near the ground, unless you have a leak near the ground, bring it to a home depot, and ask them for the fittings and extra hose to fix it. I think you would be surprised how easy it is.

There are 3 or 4 leaks between the faucet and the ground.

There are 3 or 4 leaks between the faucet and the ground.

The short answer is yes, you should be able to cut below the leak, put a coupling and another piece of hose on it. It should be an easy DIY job with PVC weld cement.

Me? If I had decent access (picture please) inside the skimmer, I'd try to fish a new hose through using the back and forth sawing method previously mentioned to free the existing hose, then to pull a new one using the existing hose as the pull string.. When that failed, I'd run a hose over-ground to the pool to refill as needed.

Me? If I had decent access (picture please) inside the skimmer, I'd try to fish a new hose through using the back and forth sawing method previously mentioned to free the existing hose, then to pull a new one using the existing hose as the pull string.. When that failed, I'd run a hose over-ground to the pool to refill as needed.

I believe the hose attaches to a PVC fitting on the outside of the skimmer. All that is on the inside of the skimmer is a hole the host is not protrude into the skimmer

Wow, what a hack job. Need more pics, but obviously the hose needs to be replaced, with a pipe under the slab anyway. I'd do it myself, dig a hole at each end of the hose, get some 1 inch pvc, make it long enough to go from hole to hole. The follow the instructions in this video. When it's through, put an elbow on each end to bring it above ground as you like, put hose fittings on and set it up the way you want.

Sometimes that works.

Need pilot help stat!

So I have this hose that runs from the faucet underground to my pool so I can fill it easily.
This hose now has several leaks and that one obvious professional repair near the top.

Today was the day I thought "I'm sure it just connects to some PVC pipe in the ground"
I have dug more than the picture below shows and as far as I can tell, this hose goes under my concrete patio (They added the pool and patio in 1 project.

View attachment 78281

Need pilot help stat!

View attachment 78281

How do you know it leaks? Other than the part that is visible?

First paragraph no.
Second paragraph is what you are going to do. Have done that kinda work in my younger days. I know crews would think nothing of just burying that hose. No PVC-that’s expensive and inflexible. Your only chance if it being done right would be if the owner themselves did the work-not likely.

Can you make use of an existing PVC sprinkler line running under the concrete to route pool water to the other side?

I once had a a PVC irrigation line blow a hole - you guessed it, under the driveway. I cut it at each end and used it as a sleeve to run a smaller line through it.

Wouldn't you just cut it about 3" above the ground. Get rid of the crap from there up. Go to hardware store and get coupling (tube) that fits inside the hose. Then use a piece of garden hose and keep the top part that threads onto the spigot. Cut the garden hose to length (in this case like 2ft or less) and slide that cut off and over the other end of the coupling. Then use hose clamps to hold each on on the coupling. I don't think the fix requires any PVC unless there is a ready made adapter.

No great solution. Cap it off and drag a garden hose over when you need to add water. That’s how I add water to my pool. No big deal.

So what you’re saying is, size DOES matter! This is a good example why average sized hoses are easier to work with than longer ones.

Sorry, I’m no help! ;)

Bryan:

I agree that, if all of your leaks are between the faucet connection and the ground, then it is likely that the plastic pipe has suffered from UV exposure, and may be ok in the buried part. Assuming this is true, I’d dig (carefully) around the line where it goes into the dirt (this, so you have room to work), and I’d fashion a coupling between the buried plastic pipe which remains and whatever it is you use to get from the faucet to the plastic line. If it was me, and assuming you aren’t ditching the house right away (for Palatial Plane-Silly Palace), I’d also put in a valve box so the connection is readily accessible for future repairs.

Don’t make the connection too deep, or it will be lower than the pool level, and you’ll have head pressure always trying to make a new leak at the junction.

While doing all this, I’d be sorely tempted to plug the skimmer end and do a limited pressure test, just to make certain the line remains undamaged under the paving. If it is leaking at all, I’d plug the connection at the skimmer and move on to Plan Bravo, or you’ll have a heave failure in your deck from the leak and our awesome gumbo high-clay soil. You don’t want that.

If you want an interesting idea for plan B, drop a line.

Funny but I actually spent this morning trying to do exactly this (I’m installing an electric double gate, with lights, on my driveway). I couldn’t get the pipe more than a few inches under the driveway. My soil contains about 75% softball sized rocks. I have a small 3 point backhoe, and no matter how far down I went, my “soil” is more rock than dirt.
I’m now hiring a directional boring company.

Just in case nobody has already said this: You are Hosed.

I would just disconnect the hose and not use it. Then just run a standard hose from the faucet to the pool and fill it manually. How much water do you have to add, and how often?
I was adding water to my pool weekly until I had a leak detection company come out and fix a couple of leaks. Now I only add water about once every month or two, unless it rains.

Just in case nobody has already said this: You are Hosed.

I would just disconnect the hose and not use it. Then just run a standard hose from the faucet to the pool and fill it manually.

This. Our built in fill system is tied in with the sprinkler system, an external spigot, and an underground valve box. It is easier to drag a hose over...

Back