My health insurance just got cancelled

I am thinking Jose is the web designer for Obamacare,, Pocketed the 5 BILLION..... and is laughing all the way to the bank...:mad2::mad:

But since the average family is saving $2,500/yr, wasn't it worth it? :mad2:

BTW, I really hate Jose Curvo's style.

When someone gives a real life example of increased rates, he as much as calls them liars, or hand waves it away.

I have no problem with some backing Obamacare. But it's intellectually dishonest to deny real accounts of adverse effects.

FastEddieB;1954902[B said:
]But since the average family is saving $2,500/yr, wasn't it worth it? [/B]:mad2:

When someone gives a real life example of increased rates, he as much as calls them liars, or hand waves it away.

I have no problem with some backing Obamacare. But it's intellectually dishonest to deny real accounts of adverse effects.

Ha....:rofl:.....:(.....:mad:....

I have BCBS... Premium was 450 -520 a month.... First year of ACA is went up to 1,550 a month.. Last year it was over 2 grand...

Can't wait to see what 2016 brings...:yikes::hairraise:.....:sad:

I am thinking Jose is the web designer for Obamacare,, Pocketed the 5 BILLION..... and is laughing all the way to the bank...:mad2::mad:

Probably not. Assuming he is telling the truth about paying taxes, it's doubtful he is embedded enough in the democrat machine to have gotten the web design contract.

Probably not. Assuming he is telling the truth about paying taxes, it's doubtful he is embedded enough in the democrat machine to have gotten the web design contract.

Good point....

Can we all say Al Sharpton..:dunno:....:rolleyes:

What's a "refund"?

I was going to say ....

If the penalty comes from tax refunds and they don't enforce it in any other way, they'll never collect from me. :nonod:

Not speaking about you pa, but FYI in general: If you're recieving a large tax refund every year, you're doing it wrong. You are making the government an interest free loan.

But since the average family is saving $2,500/yr, wasn't it worth it? :mad2:

Lots of anecdotes don't pass the common sense test, once you ask a few more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a registered Republican forever

First voted for Reagan. Rarely vote for Democrats, especially in local elections.

Lots of anecdotes don't pass the common sense test, once you ask a few more questions.

What anectdotes? I and others have given you facts and you brushed mine off saying "there are other details you are not sharing" like I'm holding out or lying.

Wake up and smell the coffee. B)

50 states, each with their own laws. Different regions with different economic realities. People from young to old, single to large families... healthy to chronically ill. Rich to poor. Then you've got legacy insurance plans on people's pensions, employer sponsored, self employed, subsidized...

When I was a lowly programmer I used to work on our company's insurance database stuff a lot. The complexity of just that was insane... I can't even imagine trying to figure this thing out on a national scale.

To think we're going to crack it sitting here on an internet forum is pretty laughable. One thing is pretty clear though from my own experiences and everyone I've talked to- the ACA did reshuffle the deck. Some people came out way ahead at the cost of some other folks getting hosed.

What anectdotes? I and others have given you facts and you brushed mine off saying "there are other details you are not sharing" like I'm holding out or lying.

The details that are often left out is the stuff like "my premiums went up *but my deductible and/or out-of-pocket max went down*. My family went four years in a row with hitting our deductible and out of pocket maximums for various reasons. This year we are switching from my wife's company's plan to my company's plan, going from a PPO to an HMO, $500/yr less in premiums, same docs/medical groups we've been using, and lower out-of-pocket maximums with no deductible. Best we can tell we will save around $1500 this year, plus not have to deal with an endless string of 20% copay bills (HMO is flat copay per service). Our employer contributions to the plans is very close to the same, so it is an apples-to-apples comparison for total cost of the plans.

Yes, costs have certainly risen, but they were rising pretty damn fast before ACA too. The insurance companies shuffle the deck between the various plans so much it is like trying to shop for a mattress...you could have the exact same model with a different name at a totally different price from one place to the next.

What I find impossible to rationalize is why insurance companies don't have to amortize their costs across everyone covered in a region or state, rather than trying to narrow it down to certain employer groups as risk pools. This system is generally designed to screw small business and individuals getting their own insurance.

That's why they never quite let it collapse. They'd lose power. Mortgage "crisis" and banking bailouts, automotive companies failing, AIG, you name it... they'll make sure to break all the rules they agreed to, in order to keep it going.

Ask anyone bright enough to see GM was going down, who smartly bought bonds to be as close to first in line for the liquidation sale that should have happened.

Nobody who pays even a modicum of attention actually believes the system isn't rigged anymore. Mismanagement and misregulation is just an opportunity to hand out guaranteed loans and push the reset button for those who knew exactly what they were doing, and removes their consequences.

The country would rather be ripped off by government debt to keep the farce going, rather than have the poor dears who run those failed entities jumping from buildings again. I guess they figure "no splat zone" signs won't work.

The political solution will be government single payer a/k/a Medicare for all. The only question is whether private for-pay service will be permitted (concierge care and the equivalent of Medicare-supplemental) or will be banned (in the name of "fairness"). Allowing private for-pay will simply create a different system of haves/have-nots than we have now. Oh, and I suppose the other question is "who will pay" - do we tax employers for the full amount to subsidize others?

ACA has made things worse, not better, and there was/is a lot of hope in many circles that it will fail.

The details that are often left out is the stuff like "my premiums went up *but my deductible and/or out-of-pocket max went down*. My family went four years in a row with hitting our deductible and out of pocket maximums for various reasons. This year we are switching from my wife's company's plan to my company's plan, going from a PPO to an HMO, $500/yr less in premiums, same docs/medical groups we've been using, and lower out-of-pocket maximums with no deductible. Best we can tell we will save around $1500 this year, plus not have to deal with an endless string of 20% copay bills (HMO is flat copay per service). Our employer contributions to the plans is very close to the same, so it is an apples-to-apples comparison for total cost of the plans.

Yes, costs have certainly risen, but they were rising pretty damn fast before ACA too. The insurance companies shuffle the deck between the various plans so much it is like trying to shop for a mattress...you could have the exact same model with a different name at a totally different price from one place to the next.

What I find impossible to rationalize is why insurance companies don't have to amortize their costs across everyone covered in a region or state, rather than trying to narrow it down to certain employer groups as risk pools. This system is generally designed to screw small business and individuals getting their own insurance.

Premiums were not rising over 100% in a fortnight.

Obviously, I am one of the 'target base' of individuals who is self employed and took the hit.

What was the first thing asked on the site? WHAT'S YOUR INCOME??? :mad2:

The political solution will be government single payer a/k/a Medicare for all. The only question is whether private for-pay service will be permitted (concierge care and the equivalent of Medicare-supplemental) or will be banned (in the name of "fairness"). Allowing private for-pay will simply create a different system of haves/have-nots than we have now. Oh, and I suppose the other question is "who will pay" - do we tax employers for the full amount to subsidize others?

ACA has made things worse, not better, and there was/is a lot of hope in many circles that it will fail.

Agreed with the assessment other than I'm
completely convinced ACA was *designed* to fail. They needed to create unnecessary pain to move to the next step of their power grab.

What's a "refund"?

I was going to say ....

If the penalty comes from tax refunds and they don't enforce it in any other way, they'll never collect from me. :nonod:

Not speaking about you pa, but FYI in general: If you're recieving a large tax refund every year, you're doing it wrong. You are making the government an interest free loan.

That's the trick. No refund, no penaly/tax. But I'll bet that account remains open for the rest of your life. The IRS does want her money.

Agreed with the assessment other than I'm
completely convinced ACA was *designed* to fail. They needed to create unnecessary pain to move to the next step of their power grab.

Well, I think some in the process put stuff in that would help ensure failure. No rational person thought it would succeed - but then again nothing is rational in the political process.

Well, I think some in the process put stuff in that would help ensure failure. No rational person thought it would succeed - but then again nothing is rational in the political process.

Probably why Pelosi and Obama wanted it passed before anybody could read it.

This is a post from Bizzaro world, especially the first sentence. No, just no.

My premium went up. My deductible went up. My network got more restricted. Win, win, win.

No that contract went to Moochelle's college roommate's CANADIAN company.

Been a registered Republican forever

First voted for Reagan. Rarely vote for Democrats, especially in local elections.

That just proves that you're psychotic.

That's the trick. No refund, no penaly/tax. But I'll bet that account remains open for the rest of your life. The IRS does want her money.

Agreed they will have their pound of flesh sooner or later.

Let's see, do I pay the annual premiums or pay the fine? Based on my AGI, I figure the penalty to be about $3000.00. Our premiums are over $12,000.00. What they don't know is the multi-million dollar Trust I have that will pay for anything health related for me to the point of being insolvent.

That's a net savings of $9000.00 per year in my book. :yesnod: I will still have to cover the wife. The Trust will not pay squat for her.

. This year we are switching from my wife's company's plan to my company's plan, going from a PPO to an HMO, $500/yr less in premiums, same docs/medical groups we've been using, and lower out-of-pocket maximums with no deductible..

Your rates went down because you went from a PPO to an HMO. With the PPO you have more options as to doctors and hospitals versus the HMO. The reimbursement contracts for HMO's are much different than those for the PPO's I have compared.

Local paper this morning: "About 200,000 New Yorkers will see their Health Republic policies expire on Monday marking the demise of the 12th health insurance coo-op established under the ACA. That's more than half of the consumer operated and oriented plans that were created ...... "

Seems there's a BIG problem in the ACA health industry. And it's getting worse. United Healthcare, one of the biggest in the US of A is also pulling out of the plan.

Got my notice recently. I must compliment the HR manager. Our premiums and coverage are the same as last year. Gives me a reason to work another year...

I just visited my folks in Colorado when a lot of policies were cancelled.

Colorado Division of Insurance said policies for 2013 that do not meet new minimum benefits under Obamacare are being canceled. Other cancellations are the result of business decisions by the insurers as part of normal operations.

"Junk" policies being cancelled, as promised.

Colorado Division of Insurance said policies for 2013 that do not meet new minimum benefits under Obamacare are being canceled. Other cancellations are the result of business decisions by the insurers as part of normal operations.

In a free country, you can buy junk of you so choose.

The company that was closed, about 80k policies, was set up on the exchange. Did it exist in 2013?

It went under because they didn't get the bailout money the Feds said they'd get.

http://m.gazette.com/colorado-health-insurer-unsuccessfully-challenges-closure/article/1561562

Last edited:
It was brilliant of the administration to coin the term "Junk Policies." It implies that they are junk, i.e., there is something objectively bad about them. Like they were a scam or worthless. In fact, they are just policies that had higher deductibles or less coverage than our bettors think we should have. Some of the brightest, most self-sufficient folks I know had their "junk" policies canceled. These were not the great unwashed masses being exploited by greedy insurance companies, but rather the exact opposite. These were well off individuals who made a conscious choice to self-insure for all but the most catastrophic situations. As such, they couldn't be exploited by the insurance companies. It is you, not the insurance companies, who are now exploiting these individuals.

Those "junk" policies were also popular with young adults. Healthy, single, no medical problems, and low premiums. But the young and healthy were necessary to build up the premium pool for the ACA.

Got my notice recently. I must compliment the HR manager. Our premiums and coverage are the same as last year. Gives me a reason to work another year...

Envious!

Our initial quotes in this year's renewal dance are up substantially. It does seem as if, in general, you have to be a Very Large Business to be able to establish a rationally-priced insurance plan.

We have had some smoke-and-mirrors salespeople (they seem principally to employ strikingly-attractive women... odd), pushing plans which save money but have what I would politely call "questionable" coverage. Opportunistic crap, or so it seems to me.

My massive increases in health care insurance premiums are real; call them "anecdotal" if you like. The observations of each and every witness to history are mere anecdotes, as well.

Thank the bosses. There's absolutely no way they didn't eat the additional cost to make that happen.

It's perfectly rational. They want an utter failure so single payer looks better emotionally and nobody notices the huge price jump along the way.

Yep. I would like my competitors to have to follow the same laws I do, comply with the same regulations I do, obtain the same certifications and licenses I do, and pay the same taxes I do.

And I will lobby for the above.

Your (U.S. based) competitors do have to follow the same laws, etc. as you do. Read and learn some yourself, and you'd discover that you, in fact, do not have to pick up 100% of your employee's insurance cost. If you choose to do so, and it hurts you competively, that's on you. Lobby away, but until the rules change, you're griping about picking up a tab you asked for, then whining about the owner at the other widget company making a duffrent, and legitimate, business decision.

Back