My first approaches in IMC with my new Avidyne IFDs (video)

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
After multiple flights in good weather to thoroughly test the installation and also to understand how to operate my new Avidyne IFDs (I now have an IFD550 and an IFD440), I found some nice weather over this past weekend to shoot a couple of approaches in the clouds. The ceilings was such that I was in the clouds at glideslope/glidepath intercept, but with a very comfortable VMC buffer below - just in case.

Here is how that worked out:

tl;dw

Aren't needles just needles? Whether analog or glass?

Aren't needles just needles? Whether analog or glass?
Yes, needles are needles.
What's different is how many different instruments you have to look at to get all the information. When I did my instrument rating, that included the AI, the DG, and the CDI (among others). In my current panel, the number is reduced by one, where the DG and CDI have been combined in the HSI. With a good EFIS, all that is in the AI, which makes the scan even easier.

- Martin

After multiple flights in good weather to thoroughly test the installation and also to understand how to operate my new Avidyne IFDs (I now have an IFD550 and an IFD440), I found some nice weather over this past weekend to shoot a couple of approaches in the clouds. The ceilings was such that I was in the clouds at glideslope/glidepath intercept, but with a very comfortable VMC buffer below - just in case.

Here is how that worked out:

Love watching your videos Martin! :cheerswine:

Back