My first annual

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
My Cherokee's first annual is coming up in February. Are there any "while you're in there" type upgrades that you'd recommend to do when the plane's opened up?

Example: I've been needing some new carpet. Since the seats, etc, will be out for the annual, it makes sense to go ahead and put down carpet at the same time.

Hoping the pain won't be too bad for this first one!

Certainly a good use of time to combine work. My A&P/IA let's me do owner assist, so I use the opportunity to do all kinds of little things come annual time.

Door steward
Rosen Visors
The scoop that you can put in the pilots micro window to funnel air into the cabin.

Might be an appropriate time to install that AOA you've been wanting.

Okay, this joke is getting old now.:rolleyes:

Keep it stock. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Expect post annual problems.

Wait until you know how much you have to spend to keep it airworthy before you start budgeting for cosmetics.

Not difficult to pull out seats on a Cherokee if you want to replace carpet later.

Get the annual signed (so inspection completed but plane not back together yet) before authorizing any extra work unless you trust your IA 110%.

Get the annual signed (so inspection completed but plane not back together yet) before authorizing any extra work unless you trust your IA 110%.
I believe you misunderstand the term airworthy. the inspection is not complete until it is signed off, it can't be signed off as airworthy until it is in a condition for safe operation.

ACF-50 corrosion treatment inside the fuselage and wings / tails... pull the wing / tails tips and make up a sprayer to apply it inside... may have to vacuum out some dirt and wasp nests first... and then wipe up the oil as it leaks out the seams for weeks... meaning it is getting between sheets and protecting the Aluminum... a little goes a long way... also if the SB 1006 has not been accomplished in a long time pull the tanks and get that done... also helps to spray the inside of the wings with the tanks off.

I believe you misunderstand the term airworthy. the inspection is not complete until it is signed off, it can't be signed off as airworthy until it is in a condition for safe operation.

Ok. My IA told me otherwise (although to be fair he told me a lot of things that are not true. He said he wont sign an annual without an oil change because it is part of the annual...).

Ok. My IA told me otherwise (although to be fair he told me a lot of things that are not true. He said he wont sign an annual without an oil change because it is part of the annual...).
Were you my customer I'd simply hold off completing the annual until you are finished with your project. The IA is required to run the engine to complete the annual, that's difficult to do with out an interior. besides, a second set of eyes on your project won't hurt.

You need to shop around. Unless the last logged change is seriously old.

Seriously, I don't know if you are allowed or if your A+P/IA will work continuously but it would be good for you to look over his/her shoulder and see all the things being looked at and why and ask what could go wrong there and how to identify problems. It will be an expensive education because you are paying by the hour but once you've seen certain things done you can go practice them and be able to perform them on your airplane and save money in the future. See
https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-archive/aircraft-ownership/preventive-maintenance

You need to shop around. Unless the last logged change is seriously old.

Whether or not the oil change is required with an annual isn't something I'd get into a big argument with the IA over. There are other swords more worthwhile to fall on. Besides, unless the oil change was literally done just a flight or two prior to the annual, NOT doing it seems to me to be a false economy. When I owned, I always did my own oil changes, but at annual time I figured I might as well have the IA do it regardless and let him give the filter and all a good look as well, send off a sample for analysis, etc. The additional cost was comparatively minimal.

Think they call it a Kool Scoop. $30 at spruce. Had one on mine and for a Cherokee in the summer, let me tell you, it was WORTH it.

Oh yeah. Definitely the best $30 I ever spent on mine. However, it's really easy to install and doesn't need a mechanic (or any tools even), so don't wait for your annual, just put it on.

Yeah, upholstery is a good one, just line it up time wise with your local upholstery shop.

LED or HID lights are a good one

If you don't have a quick drain on your oil, that's a good cheapie

Make sure you have a whistle slot on your oil breather tube

Spin on oil filter if you don't have one.

Balance your prop

Little more spendy, but BAS belts.

Any little thing you see along the way.

And owner assist, I can't stress this enough, it's a saftey issue, a money issue, it is one of the requirements, in my mind, for owning and also a great indication of the quality of the APIA you use.

Whether or not the oil change is required with an annual isn't something I'd get into a big argument with the IA over. There are other swords more worthwhile to fall on. Besides, unless the oil change was literally done just a flight or two prior to the annual, NOT doing it seems to me to be a false economy. ...

But it's a great indicator of how your mechanic runs his shop, changing good oil for no reason is not a good sign.

My APIA starts off with, "how many hours on the oil" if it's due, or its like 5 hours away we'll change it, if I only have 15 hours on it, nope.

But it's a great indicator of how your mechanic runs his shop, changing good oil for no reason is not a good sign.

My APIA starts off with, "how many hours on the oil" if it's due, or its like 5 hours away we'll change it, if I only have 15 hours on it, nope.

Mine writes the tach hours on the filter, even an amateur like me can tell how old the oil is.

Mine writes the tach hours on the filter, even an amateur like me can tell how old the oil is.

Don't most of the filters nowadays even have the blank space for date and tach?

Hey James, what is this?

Prevents this
image.jpg

From another post I made about it:

The oil breather tube on the bottom of your firewall should have what I believe is called a whistle hole up above the exit, that way if the tube freezes up it still got a non destructive way to vent the pressure.

Ofcourse always check your breathers as part of your winter preflight.

The oil breather tube on the bottom of your firewall should have what I believe is called a whistle hole up above the exit, that way if the tube freezes up it still got a non destructive way to vent the pressure.

Do your home work,, that is an AD, that that applies to aircraft with Lycoming engines installed, does not apply to aircraft with Continental Engines installed.

What ever happened to logging the oil and filter change properly, then having the ability to read the log and see when the oil change was done?

Oh I forgot,,,, that's too hard.

. and then wipe up the oil as it leaks out the seams for weeks...
Hate to steal your thunder, but it's years in my case. Dark stains at every seam....Good insurance though.

I use corrosion X but strongly agree with the recommendation to apply a corrosion inhibitor at each annual, at least if you are close to the coast like I am. I base at KLBX, south of Houston so my hanger is 12 mikes from the gulf coast.

90 degrees and 90 % humidity is the norm in the summer and before I started leaving a heater on in the winter I walked in one day to find water dripping off the wings below the fuel tanks. I've been applying corrosion X annually since and haven't found any problems. Several planes at my airport that don't treat have had serious problems during the same period.

It's very cheap insurance in my opinion. One gallon lasts a long long time.

I also encourage you to find an IA that will let you at least observe the annual if not participate. I've learned a lot about my plane by doing owner assisted annuals. It does save me some money but it also gives me anoigh knowledge to spot problems early and to have an idea of if I'm being treated right if I have a problem away from home. I never liked working on my cars but it turns out I also enjoy working on my plane.

Gary

Do your home work,, that is an AD, that that applies to aircraft with Lycoming engines installed, does not apply to aircraft with Continental Engines installed.

Never seen a frequent cold weather plane that didn't have one, regardless of the engine make, factory made, AD required, shop done, whatever, it's mandatory IMO for cold weather ops.

What ever happened to logging the oil and filter change properly, then having the ability to read the log and see when the oil change was done?

Facts not in evidence.

And who said it wasn't also logged in the books Tom?

I must have missed that post

Passive aggressive much? Filter/Hobbs on aircraft about two feet apart. Log books in filing cabinet elsewhere. Look at hobbs time on filter, check hobbs - not hard at all. Or, Oil change due ________. written on dry erase board in hangar. Look at hobbs next flight. Also not hard.

Never seen a frequent cold weather plane that didn't have one, regardless of the engine make, factory made, AD required, shop done, whatever, it's mandatory IMO for cold weather ops.
One more time your opinion expressed as fact. I posted the fact above.

One more time your opinion expressed as fact. I posted the fact above.

Where did I say it was a fact Tom.

... it's mandatory IMO for cold weather ops.

I know you're old as dirt, and some of this modern "slang" is hard to understand, let me help ya out bud

IMO means "In My Opinion"

Make sure you have a whistle slot on your oil breather tube

Sounds like that's a opinion stated as fact, even to the most experience reader.
Considering the rest of your insults, I'll just consider the source that when those who loose the argument resort to insults rather than back up their argument with facts.

For those who want, read AD 82-07-02 see if it only applies to an aircraft modified by STC to install a Lycoming 180 horse on a 170-B.

Sounds like that's a opinion stated as fact, even to the most experience reader.
Considering the rest of your insults, I'll just consider the source that when those who loose the argument resort to insults rather than back up their argument with facts.

So do you, or do you not think a whistle slot is a good idea for cold weather ops?

So do you, or do you not think a whistle slot is a good idea for cold weather ops?
Doesn't matter what I believe, It matters what is legal and what is just an opinion some times you lead us to believe your way is the only way..

So is it just my opinion, and not based off anything that a whistle slot is a good idea in cold weather.

That without one, if the outgoing moisture freezes, that pressure will still find a way to vent, and you very well might not like the way it finds to vent?

You're the APIA Tom, you tell me, name 2 pros and 2 cons for me

Back