Multi Engine Time Building

Some details you might try mentioning, which were conspicuously absent in your first post:

1. Whether or not you're any good at ME flying, and what type(s) you have already flown

2. Your willingness to pay X, Y, or Z. Or your willingness to barter for (other cool things or skills you may possess)

3. Your willingness or desire to learn a new type, if such exists, and maybe which type or make interests you

4. Your willingness to exchange your CFI skills and offer up, say, a BFR or IPC in exchange for this expensive plane time

5. Your career aspirations if you wish to tug the heartstrings of this generous pilot/plane owner, or any sort of aviation enthusiasm, interest, curiousity, or fun experiences you've had and can share tales about

6. Literally anything except "I need X and want to spend as few shekels to achieve my X so I can be on my way when the hobbs ticks over that .0 that I need"

I remember when getting right seat time in a twin meant you paid for that job... Seriously there were companies that would advertise cost per hour in blocks of 50 to 100 hours so a pilot could build twin time.

Good luck to ya, bud. Everyone on this forum that flew for a living was in your place at one time.

It was only 3 or 4 years ago that there were still a couple of bottom feeder companies (one that comes to mind was out in CO) that were offering ‘training’ contracts for right seaters. You had to pay for the training and then you had to fly right seat without pay. Can’t remember what the loophole was, but they were hauling people, but small enough to not fall under 121 pilot requirements.

Some details you might try mentioning, which were conspicuously absent in your first post:

1. Whether or not you're any good at ME flying, and what type(s) you have already flown

2. Your willingness to pay X, Y, or Z. Or your willingness to barter for (other cool things or skills you may possess)

3. Your willingness or desire to learn a new type, if such exists, and maybe which type or make interests you

4. Your willingness to exchange your CFI skills and offer up, say, a BFR or IPC in exchange for this expensive plane time

5. Your career aspirations if you wish to tug the heartstrings of this generous pilot/plane owner, or any sort of aviation enthusiasm, interest, curiousity, or fun experiences you've had and can share tales about

6. Literally anything except "I need X and want to spend as few shekels to achieve my X so I can be on my way when the hobbs ticks o

Thanks for your advice. That's a Good point. Looking back I think I could have done a better job addressing those key items

I’m sorry if you didn’t like my response, but I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. You are entering a crucial stage in what will be a very lucrative career. You are about to enter what is probably the most intense training that you’ve had so far. Spend the the money getting some good training to help prepare you what is about to come instead of just checking a box riding along as a safety pilot.

Sometimes if you don't have the money up-front to buy twin time, you will have to endure the opportunity cost of taking a low-paying job or gig to earn them. Example: I needed twin xc time, took a couple contracts that barely paid my bills so that I could log twin time with the owner of the company. I did the math on the amount of time I've logged so far and it's staggering how much it would have cost me to rent for that block. However, I'm not earning what I used to earn as a consequence. I think all-in, it's probably just as expensive but lots of time saved from a calendar perspective.

Stats for nerds: 160 hours in 6 months in a 310R. Opportunity cost: north of $29,000

But that's nearly 50% cheaper than renting at $350/hr. And that's if you can even find one to rent. Would've had to save for an entire year to blow that much on those hours. So there's a real savings of 6 months in there too.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Just don't put your blinders up too far staring at that 25-hr mark. Keep asking and networking. There's bound to be something for you. Set yourself a deadline: "if I can't find a deal by Aug 1 (or whatever), I'll go rent something."

Lastly, I know it seems expensive to get your MEI, but if you do end up having to spend the money anyway it would be foolish not to get as much as you can for your money i.e. another certificate

Sometimes if you don't have the money up-front to buy twin time, you will have to endure the opportunity cost of taking a low-paying job or gig to earn them. Example: I needed twin xc time, took a couple contracts that barely paid my bills so that I could log twin time with the owner of the company. I did the math on the amount of time I've logged so far and it's staggering how much it would have cost me to rent for that block. However, I'm not earning what I used to earn as a consequence. I think all-in, it's probably just as expensive but lots of time saved from a calendar perspective.

Stats for nerds: 160 hours in 6 months in a 310R. Opportunity cost: north of $29,000

But that's nearly 50% cheaper than renting at $350/hr. And that's if you can even find one to rent. Would've had to save for an entire year to blow that much on those hours. So there's a real savings of 6 months in there too.

I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Just don't put your blinders up too far staring at that 25-hr mark. Keep asking and networking. There's bound to be something for you. Set yourself a deadline: "if I can't find a deal by Aug 1 (or whatever), I'll go rent something."

Lastly, I know it seems expensive to get your MEI, but if you do end up having to spend the money anyway it would be foolish not to get as much as you can for your money i.e. another certificate

Thank you! I really appreciate your input.

Nick G, kudos to you for sticking with this thread and the group (it is a good group in general). You are handling this thread rather well. As you continue your life, you will get bruised from time to time. That will build your character, and that is a good thing. Happy flying!

Back