Mtns2skies' New Plane

Congrats, Austin! Persistence and patience pays off. And yes, a lot of us old people want to see you kids keep aviation alive and going, so I bet that did help you.

Having seen it in person now, I can say - nice plane! You'll enjoy it.

Ahh man, you suck! I was looking at 180's and 185's before I bought the 210.

Great looking plane, congrats!

Dude that's your plane! Congrats!

I got her home yesterday and slept HARD last night. Took my dad for a quick night flight and he got such a kick out of the STOL performance. Thanks for all the well wishes. The plan for today is to bundle up and head to the airport to clean the plane inside and out.

Also BAS inertia reel belts, with how the flaps and trims and everything are laid out in the wagons, it's something that will not only increase comfort, but might very well save your life.

Absolutely!

suggestion, there's the skywagon club and they have a great manual of all the things they have learned, well worth getting if you don't already have it.

Also BAS inertia reel belts, with how the flaps and trims and everything are laid out in the wagons, it's something that will not only increase comfort, but might very well save your life.
I'm planning on doing several safety upgrades this summer including 406 Mhz ELT. BAS Intertial reel belts, install a fire extinguisher. All of these before I start improving the plane... Ownership is nice I actually get a full choice in how safe I choose to make the airplane.

Safety starts with you. Spend money on avgas and time with a good Skywagon instructor. These are amazing airplanes but it’s the guy at the controls that makes the magic happen.

Safety starts with you. Spend money on avgas and time with a good Skywagon instructor. These are amazing airplanes but it’s the guy at the controls that makes the magic happen.
+1. The weekend before a friend of mine (CFI) bought a 185. I flew it with him for about 9 hours that weekend. Also brought him with me so I got about 11 hours of instruction :) About 25 landings too.

Really cool rig and a great story. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Congrats, the H model is a great ship! Your pretty lucky, there are some very Skywagon savvy A&P/IA's in CO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't a registered airport, but a farm in South Rockwood MI. Very close to Mills Field (MI53)
Well, that was interesting.

I just found out that the runway that I had always assumed was Carl's isn't Carl's. I fly over the not Carl's runway https://www.google.com/maps/@42.023815,-83.2483954,73a,35y,270h,39.47t/data=!3m1!1e3 pretty frequently as I scoot around the DTW class B. And, even a moron should have realized that the real Carl's is way the heck on the other side of I-75.

Congrats on the beautiful bird! If I could swing another plane that's exactly what I'd be looking for. Enjoy

@Mtns2Skies stop at KULS on your way to Colorado if it’s not out of the way. I’ll be there working on my helicopter. I would like to see the plane too. We have self serve on the field and a place to get a meal. (My treat)

Edit:

Disregard. I see you’re already home.

That bird is sure going to look nice at LZU on the 24th.

I'm planning on doing several safety upgrades this summer including 406 Mhz ELT. BAS Intertial reel belts, install a fire extinguisher. All of these before I start improving the plane... Ownership is nice I actually get a full choice in how safe I choose to make the airplane.

That is definitely my favorite part about ownership (or in my case having operational control since I don't technically own the plane). I am a big fan of the BAS inertial reel belts - I had them on the 310 and found they were a very nice addition.

Something to keep in mind with the 406 ELT is that it needs a GPS source, and I believe a WAAS GPS source at that. So before you put in a 406 ELT, you'll probably need to do your GPS upgrade. And since your transponder is having issues, you might be well served (if you can swing it financially) to just go for the GTN 650 and GTX 345 like we were talking about when you were here.

Of course, that's still going to be a job that's in the $15-20k range out the door, and you just bought the thing. But it's something to consider.

That is definitely my favorite part about ownership (or in my case having operational control since I don't technically own the plane). I am a big fan of the BAS inertial reel belts - I had them on the 310 and found they were a very nice addition.

Something to keep in mind with the 406 ELT is that it needs a GPS source, and I believe a WAAS GPS source at that. So before you put in a 406 ELT, you'll probably need to do your GPS upgrade. And since your transponder is having issues, you might be well served (if you can swing it financially) to just go for the GTN 650 and GTX 345 like we were talking about when you were here.

Of course, that's still going to be a job that's in the $15-20k range out the door, and you just bought the thing. But it's something to consider.
406 ELT requires gps? I don’t think so. A 406 ELT can utilize gps position but does not require it.

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/406vs121.pdf

That'll be an interesting IR scan. :cool:

I think Ted was far too conservative.
Let's see...your new plane deserves a couple of G5s, a GTN 750 (go big, or go home) and one of those fine upscale PS Engineering audio panel/intercoms. :D Keep one of the Narco radios for "historical significance" , and the King ADF, cause it'll always get you home. ;)
And whatever you do, be discrete about it so MrsM2S doesn't find out where the grocery money went.

Did someone add the ram air anti co scoop on the tail, thought that was just a 185 thing?

That'll be an interesting IR scan. :cool:

I think Ted was far too conservative.
Let's see...your new plane deserves a couple of G5s, a GTN 750 (go big, or go home) and one of those fine upscale PS Engineering audio panel/intercoms. :D Keep one of the Narco radios for "historical significance" , and the King ADF, cause it'll always get you home. ;)
And whatever you do, be discrete about it so MrsM2S doesn't find out where the grocery money went.

Or wait and score a 430W from someone "upgrading" to a touch screen ;)

Looks super. I love the look of a 180. If I had access to one, that would be worth getting the tail wheel endorsement for. For now I'll just have to settle for flying a 182. Have fun (I know you will) and get that IR!

Did someone add the ram air anti co scoop on the tail, thought that was just a 185 thing?

Or wait and score a 430W from someone "upgrading" to a touch screen ;)

Dunno. I know it was groundlooped and the tail repaired at some point, which is why the rudder is green. It does have factory corrosion protection as well (but not a float kit). 430W's are almost as much as 650's! They've retained their value unbelievably well.

Nice! Where exactly around Detroit did you pick it up?!

Dunno. I know it was groundlooped and the tail repaired at some point, which is why the rudder is green. It does have factory corrosion protection as well (but not a float kit). 430W's are almost as much as 650's! They've retained their value unbelievably well.

Gotcha.

Not sure if you ever get over to backcountrypilot but tons of skywagon guys over there.

@Skywalker
Well, that was interesting.

I just found out that the runway that I had always assumed was Carl's isn't Carl's. I fly over the not Carl's runway https://www.google.com/maps/@42.023815,-83.2483954,73a,35y,270h,39.47t/data=!3m1!1e3 pretty frequently as I scoot around the DTW class B. And, even a moron should have realized that the real Carl's is way the heck on the other side of I-75.
Yessir that's where I got her from!

Yessir that's where I got her from!
Looks VERY close to Mills based on the sectional, but I can't find the runway in that Google picture. Lots of fallow fields, but nothing that looks like it might be a runway.

Oh wait... now I see it. Doh!

Back