Moving Legs at Night - Solved without drugs

• Thread starter Sunglasses at Night
  • Start date
S

Sunglasses at Night

I'm posting this for the benefit of those that may find it useful.

About two years ago my wife, a light sleeper, began nudging me, telling me that I was moving my legs while asleep and it was waking her up.

Over time, this has had a come-and-go effect, but just after the new year, it became more prevalent and bothersome. In fact, one night in late March she simply decided to go sleep in the spare bedroom. Not a great feeling from my side, for sure.

This doesn't seem to be linked with dreams at all.

She describes it as sometimes a kicking movement, and sometimes like a walking movement.

My PhD in "Using-Google-to-self-diagnose-Medical-Treatment" didn't give me answers I wanted. The drugs that would be prescribed for such things were anti-seizure meds, dopamine promoters, anticonvulsants and other such lovely pills that have an effect on brain chemistry. Not on my list of acceptable treatments. Also, all big no-nos to FAA, for more-than-obvious reasons.

In a moment of consideration, I got a strap to simply loop around the ankles. Made it easy for on/off, but definitely the legs were incapable of independently moving while it was attached.

The first night was a huge success. In fact every night has been awesome with this method.

I took the strap off after two weeks of using it, and the problem is now absent for three weeks. Did I successfully train my body that this is unacceptable? (Ha!) If/when it returns, I have the device at my bedside and ready to use.

I'm posting this for the benefit of those that may find it useful.

About two years ago my wife, a light sleeper, began nudging me, telling me that I was moving my legs while asleep and it was waking her up.

Over time, this has had a come-and-go effect, but just after the new year, it became more prevalent and bothersome. In fact, one night in late March she simply decided to go sleep in the spare bedroom. Not a great feeling from my side, for sure.

This doesn't seem to be linked with dreams at all.

She describes it as sometimes a kicking movement, and sometimes like a walking movement.

My PhD in "Using-Google-to-self-diagnose-Medical-Treatment" didn't give me answers I wanted. The drugs that would be prescribed for such things were anti-seizure meds, dopamine promoters, anticonvulsants and other such lovely pills that have an effect on brain chemistry. Not on my list of acceptable treatments. Also, all big no-nos to FAA, for more-than-obvious reasons.

In a moment of consideration, I got a strap to simply loop around the ankles. Made it easy for on/off, but definitely the legs were incapable of independently moving while it was attached.

The first night was a huge success. In fact every night has been awesome with this method.

I took the strap off after two weeks of using it, and the problem is now absent for three weeks. Did I successfully train my body that this is unacceptable? (Ha!) If/when it returns, I have the device at my bedside and ready to use.
So, you were able to kick the habit?

The "strap"...
1714863742316.jpeg

Wife has RLS and it will, at times, start causing her to move while still asleep. Once it cranks up, she's wide awake til it quits.

Back