Motorcycle question

I recall Lucas headlight switches were marked “DIM” and “DIMMER”!

Google came up with this, along the same lines:

Lucas.jpg.1a595432b71c98a9184b98309fa7ea64.jpg

I respect British bikes but having owned a few MGs in the past I've had enough of the prince of darkness, Lucas.

I've had a couple Sprites, TR6, and everyone one of them had electrical issues. My cousin's theory was they were designed for the damp British climate and ran fine there. So I guess they should be fine in Oregon then right? :rolleyes:

Now my Miata and Honda S2000, no problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff.

I've had a couple Sprites, TR6, and everyone one of them had electrical issues. My cousin's theory was they were designed for the damp British climate and ran fine there. So I guess they should be fine in Oregon then right? :rolleyes:

Now my Miata and Honda S2000, no problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff.
Problem with MG is that the didn't use relays, full power to switches. Step #1 when restoring one: replace wiring and switches, add relays. Install Chevy engine, there is a kit.

I took and passed my motorcycle training course in September 2016, added the "M" endorsement to my driver's license, and within 10 days purchased the bike of my dreams: a Vespa GTV 300 ABS. It's great for errands around town and not shabby on the open road with a top speed between 70-80 mph (depending on road/wind conditions). Twist and go - I love it!

If I ever decide to "step up," it'll be another scooter, a Piaggio BV350 or perhaps a Suzuki Burgman. To me a 300cc or above scooter is much more practical/useful than a motorcycle (for my needs, at least). There's plenty of built-in storage and racks, they have good speed and power, economical on gas, and easy to ride. I can load up my Vespa with an amazing amount of groceries or whatever.

Yeah, I've already been sneered at by a few motorcyclists, but I don't care. I'm happy and secure in my manhood astride my Vespa. I think they're the ones missing out on the fun.

I'm not opposed to scooters, but I don't care for the high displacement freeway capable machines. I wish Honda would sell the Wave scooters they sell in Asia, with full diameter wheels and pegs, in a 125cc machine. But I'd take a 150cc PCX for its super mileage cruise around town capability.

A gorgeous Italian girlfriend with a heart of gold who puts her man first and who will stick a knife in his back during a temper tantrum. :)

I love my little British tart. She's fun and sexy and never tries to kill me.
The only bike to try and kill me was the Wing, and only because it was so damn big and heavy. Triumphs have come a long way from the mechanically unsound models of yesteryear. I thought about a speed triple, but wasn't quite swayed on the looks. That, and there are lots of speed triples around, but not so many examples of my bike, which is what really got me in the end. That, and I've had very, very, very few problems with Hondas over the years. Can't say the same for other brands.

I recall a cartoon from the '70s in which a Honda Goldwing had crashed into a Honda Civic. The Civic was totaled and the 'wing rider was telling the cop, "Honest, I never saw him. He's so small!"

Problem with MG is that the didn't use relays, full power to switches. Step #1 when restoring one: replace wiring and switches, add relays. Install Chevy engine, there is a kit.

The MG restoration process I learned was:
Step 1 - jack up MG badge.
Step 2 - slide Miata underneath.

A buddy has a bumper sticker on the back of his TR-6: "Lucas, father of the intermittent wiper."

Haven't had a single electrical problem with the bike, but I did have multiple trips back to the dealer over the first few months to deal with coolant leaks. The only fluids the Brits know how to manage are tea and beer.

I saw Morris Minor with a bumper sticker that read "The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators"

I had a 1976 MG Midget back in 1983/1984. You did not walk up to it without a wrench (excuse me, spanner) or a screwdriver in your hand.

There was a shop in Santa Clara back then that specialized in restoring old MGs. They had a bumper sticker that I should have bought. "I'll have you know that the parts falling off this car are of the highest British quality!"

The funny thing was that I had a 1981 Buick Skylark (GM X body) that would out do that MG in every category except one. It would out accelerate it. It could stop faster. It would corner better. It was far more comfortable. But, not being a rag top, wasn't nearly as much fun. And my daughter, 3 at the time, sure enjoyed riding in the MG with the top down. What is it about blonds and convertibles, anyway? :p

I always wave at scooter riders, I figure if you've got the cajones to be out in traffic on an underpowered ill handling little thing you deserve the wave!

Scooters are like fat chicks, fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on one.

I do have to remember on the scooter, and keep repeating to myself: "no clutch, no clutch, no clutch...."
One does not grab a handful of clutch lever when coming to a stop..........:eek:

The correct switch positions are dim, flicker, and smoke.

Signed,

A recovering Jaguar mechanic

The only bike to try and kill me was the Wing, and only because it was so damn big and heavy. Triumphs have come a long way from the mechanically unsound models of yesteryear. I thought about a speed triple, but wasn't quite swayed on the looks. That, and there are lots of speed triples around, but not so many examples of my bike, which is what really got me in the end. That, and I've had very, very, very few problems with Hondas over the years. Can't say the same for other brands.
I have owned nothing but BMW bikes for the last 40 years, they never required anything but oil changes and tuneups. My 07 R1200S doesn't even require a tune-up.

I have owned nothing but BMW bikes for the last 40 years, they never required anything but oil changes and tuneups. My 07 R1200S doesn't even require a tune-up.

Before my present R1200GSw, I had an R1150RT. I put 90kmi on it in 7 years, it was rock solid reliable and ran like a champ when I traded it in. Of course I maintained it (and all my vehicles) per the book. Any modern vehicle should be quite reliable if you follow the mx guidelines in the owners manual.

I do have to remember on the scooter, and keep repeating to myself: "no clutch, no clutch, no clutch...."
One does not grab a handful of clutch lever when coming to a stop..........:eek:
Huh. I do...

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

I have owned myriad BMW’s over the years, and as I said upthread still own two.

But to be fair, in a recent study of least reliable motorcycles, BMW came in second. The least reliable was the CanAm Spyder.

It’s been embarrassing the number of BMW final drive failures in the Iron Butt Rally. ABS units are also highly problematical and expensive to repair/replace.

I still like the brand, but doubt if I would ever spring for a new one. If I did, I’d want a fairly simple one, or at least one with the illusion of simplicity. To wit:

urban-gs-5.jpeg

Which is itself an homage to this classic Airhead, which I would not mind owning, either:

39320265332_5356b398c0_z.jpg

Last edited:
The RT's do have some quirks. The engine in my 1200RT would sometimes randomly cut out in idle in traffic (not endearing) and first gear was pretty tall. I didn't own mine long enough for this to be an issue, but a clutch replacement is a huge deal, requiring almost a total disassembly of the bike. It's not something you're doing in your home garage.

Huh. I do...

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg
Modern Vespas and the like have rear (I think) brake on left hand lever. No clutch with variable transmission (or whatever they call it)

The RT's do have some quirks. The engine in my 1200RT would sometimes randomly cut out in idle in traffic (not endearing) and first gear was pretty tall. I didn't own mine long enough for this to be an issue, but a clutch replacement is a huge deal, requiring almost a total disassembly of the bike. It's not something you're doing in your home garage.

Yes, the dry clutches required a different technique. I always tried to use minimal revs and limit slipping on mine, and the clutch was still fine at 90kmi. If someone starts fanning the clutch like a wet clutch dirt bike, yes, it will die an early (and smelly) death.

Modern Vespas and the like have rear (I think) brake on left hand lever. No clutch with variable transmission (or whatever they call it)

Yeah, it's essentially a centrifugal clutch which causes the pulleys to compress and drives the belt to a different gear ratio. Not much different from most gasoline-powered golf carts.

We recently bought Karen a used 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter to learn on:

33673575623_cd0cc2250a_z.jpg

No clutch* or shifter. Left hand lever is rear brake, and your feet do nothing.

I’ve ridden it maybe a dozen times or so, and it is kinda weird - you do have to unlearn pulling the clutch in.

But it’s a hoot, and peppier than you might think out of 125cc.

*Well, no clutch lever. It does have a centrifugal clutch as mentioned above.

Sure, but where's the fun in that? I'll stick with my '55. :)

Yeah, it's essentially a centrifugal clutch which causes the pulleys to compress and drives the belt to a different gear ratio. Not much different from most gasoline-powered golf carts.

Most modern scooters are like that. Most of the motorcycle type scooters (e.g. Honda Wave) have a centrifugal clutch, but are manually shifted, and have a four speed transmission that automatically cycles back to first after the fourth shift.

Huge deal? Same as replacing a clutch in a car. I replaced the clutch with a racing one on a 83 R100 I bought as a wreck.

Huge deal? Same as replacing a clutch in a car. I replaced the clutch with a racing one on a 83 R100 I bought as a wreck.

I sort of view replacing the clutch in a car to be a big deal too (and I've done it.)

I sort of view replacing the clutch in a car to be a big deal too (and I've done it.)

Due to a series of happenstances there was a time when I could have the 5sp transmission out of a MkII Jetta in 30min flat. That's both good and bad Lol.

Depends entirely on the car/truck/vehicle. Old Ford pickup, piece of cake - done in a couple hours. I had the joy of doing it on a sidestreet one afternoon. And to fans of having the flywheel turned, just don't.

Depends entirely on the car/truck/vehicle. Old Ford pickup, piece of cake - done in a couple hours. I had the joy of doing it on a sidestreet one afternoon. And to fans of having the flywheel turned, just don't.

Agreed. Most old pickups . . . easy peasey. Kubota tractor . . . you have to split the tractor in half, lol. My FIL got rid of the '90 Testarossa recently because it was coming up on a maintenance event that included clutch replacement and the whole engine had to be pull out to perform it. I believe it was usually considered easier to just pull the engine/tranny as one unit on the 300ZX as opposed to just dropping the transmission, mostly because of extremely difficult access to the upper bell-housing bolts and difficult re-installation angle.

Agreed. Most old pickups . . . easy peasey. Kubota tractor . . . you have to split the tractor in half, lol. My FIL got rid of the '90 Testarossa recently because it was coming up on a maintenance event that included clutch replacement and the whole engine had to be pull out to perform it. I believe it was usually considered easier to just pull the engine/tranny as one unit on the 300ZX as opposed to just dropping the transmission, mostly because of extremely difficult access to the upper bell-housing bolts and difficult re-installation angle.

Infiniti Q45 spark plug replacement steps:

1) Remove engine

You would hate working on a Mooney or changing the brake valve on a MD-80.

I think a lot of people would hate if I worked on a Mooney or changed a brake valve on an MD-80.

I figgered that out a long while ago! Fortunately she hasn't yet figgered out I got the better end of the deal... ;)

We just don't ride them, and aren't going to for a while. By the time we get back into it, the bikes will have improved enough that we'll want something newer. So I just don't see a point in continuing to absorb the depreciation when we could cash out.

Spring is coming and with the economy doing well, it’s a great ti,e to sell toys...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spring is coming and with the economy doing well, it’s a great ti,e to sell toys...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find late March or early April is usually the best time to sell.

That depends on what my wife thinks, though.

I find late March or early April is usually the best time to sell.

That depends on what my wife thinks, though.
I was trying to build lead time for that. :)

trying to convince DW to go for me getting a new 2500 CTD, but I want to see if the new engine or SDD (Secondary Driving Display) makes it to the HD trucks before the 2021 refresh. it's the same thing. i'll have to work on her for awhile

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
Well, here we are almost one year later, and it looks like I'm finally going for my motorcycle ride. I reserved a Bonneville T100 for this Saturday. The forecast is for sunny and hot weather, so maybe it is finally going to happen.

I rode my motorcycle to work the day after I found out he died. But I haven't ridden it much since, and now that I take my son to school every morning, I don't see riding it for a while.

Take your son to school on the bike. As good a reason to ride as any. Don't have a bike, but one of the opportunities to take my old Porsche out of the garage is to take the kids to activities. No better time to goof off for an hour on some back roads.

Take your son to school on the bike. As good a reason to ride as any. Don't have a bike, but one of the opportunities to take my old Porsche out of the garage is to take the kids to activities. No better time to goof off for an hour on some back roads.

Necropost! :)

My kids are currently 6 (son) and 4 (girls). None of them reach the footboards. The route for taking my son to/from school would be one I'd feel comfortable riding the motorcycle on. When I made that post earlier this year, my son was still 5 and his school was in the city. I wouldn't have ridden my motorcycle by myself there much less with him on it. Too much traffic and too many stupid drivers.

When the Cobra is built I expect I'll be taking the kids to school in it. One at a time, obviously.

Well, here we are almost one year later, and it looks like I'm finally going for my motorcycle ride. I reserved a Bonneville T100 for this Saturday. The forecast is for sunny and hot weather, so maybe it is finally going to happen.

Where are you renting, and where are you going?

Back