Motorcycle question

I’ve been an on & off biker since about 12, started with a 100cc Yamaha Enduro. I could almost get out of biking, but do it some with the older Son. I currently ride a 2014 Honda CB-1100, don’t feel the need for more. I actually became smitten while looking in the Honda tent at Oshkosh a few years prior, used to own a 71 CB-750.

I think biking and flying have similarities, mostly referring to defensive techniques required to keep things safe.

I'm a fan of liter bikes when I ride - love the fact that it doesn't matter what gear you're in, the things just always move. Pick a gear, any gear. The smaller bikes may be pretty much just as fast, but you have to rev them up a lot more even for more normal riding around. For a short period of time I had a VFR800i Interceptor. That 200ccs less was just enough to annoy me, even though I otherwise loved that engine. The V4 was great.

I've spent some time on an FJR1300 and loved the bike overall, but wished it had a V4 instead of the I4. Too sewing machine esque. But great how it didn't matter which gear you were in, it was just always fast.

I love my Triumph Daytona. That 675 triple is just the right compromise between the low-end grunt of a twin and the high-end performance of a 4-cyl. Wonderfully smooth engine and the slipper clutch just makes it that much nicer. Bloody thing steers by telekinesis; just think about turning and she goes.

For myself, I see no need for a liter bike since I can't make use of all the Daytona's HP anyway, and I like the slender frame and the lightness.

I love my Triumph Daytona. That 675 triple is just the right compromise between the low-end grunt of a twin and the high-end performance of a 4-cyl. Wonderfully smooth engine and the slipper clutch just makes it that much nicer. Bloody thing steers by telekinesis; just think about turning and she goes.

For myself, I see no need for a liter bike since I can't make use of all the Daytona's HP anyway, and I like the slender frame and the lightness.

My wife had a Daytona 675, and I'll agree they definitely got that bike right. It was lightweight enough that the lack of low end grunt wasn't too bad for me.

I've just always been a torque person rather than a revs person. When my wife was riding the Daytona, I had an RC51 with a 1000cc V-twin. That engine was wonderful.

I'm a fan of liter bikes when I ride - love the fact that it doesn't matter what gear you're in

I've spent some time on an FJR1300 and loved the bike overall, but wished it had a V4 instead of the I4. Too sewing machine esque.

I'm enjoying my R1200GS water boxer, plenty of character, and with 125hp and 92 lb-ft of torque, it's pretty peppy.

I love my Triumph Daytona. That 675 triple is just the right compromise between the low-end grunt of a twin and the high-end performance of a 4-cyl.

I had a Triumph Street Triple R with the 675, it was a really fun bike but I could never get comfortable on it no matter what seat I tried. Stock, Corbin, Sargent, it didn't matter. All of my weight ended up in the perineum area, which caused things to go numb that no one wants to go numb. Ended up selling the bike, which is a pitty.

I'm enjoying my R1200GS water boxer, plenty of character, and with 125hp and 92 lb-ft of torque, it's pretty peppy.

I test rode the R1200 sport bike (forget which model that was) around 10 years ago. Holy crap, where did those 10 years go?!

Anyway, at least at that time on that particular bike I didn't particularly like how the boxer engine worked, at least in that application. It felt too slow, I didn't like how revving it would try to lean the bike over, etc. With that said, that was on a sportbike. I think that on a sport tourer or a GS, it'd be a different matter entirely.

I test rode the R1200 sport bike (forget which model that was) around 10 years ago. Holy crap, where did those 10 years go?!

Anyway, at least at that time on that particular bike I didn't particularly like how the boxer engine worked, at least in that application. It felt too slow, I didn't like how revving it would try to lean the bike over, etc. With that said, that was on a sportbike. I think that on a sport tourer or a GS, it'd be a different matter entirely.

The water boxer was a ground up engine re-design in ~2012, it has nothing in common with the oil head/hex head/cammer boxers before it. Transmission and clutch now in the main engine case, so wet slipper clutch, all oiled by engine oil. Counterbalancers, vertical flow heads, etc. It has a very different character, and loves to rev. You don't have to rev it, but it's now fun to rev it out. HUGE improvement. Ride one sometime.

Reactions: Ted
The water boxer was a ground up engine re-design in ~2012, it has nothing in common with the oil head/hex head/cammer boxers before it. Transmission and clutch now in the main engine case, so wet slipper clutch, all oiled by engine oil. Counterbalancers, vertical flow heads, etc. It has a very different character, and loves to rev. You don't have to rev it, but it's now fun to rev it out. HUGE improvement. Ride one sometime.

Once I realized that it was 10 years ago that I rode that one, I figured that they'd made improvements. I may do so.

Although given how much I ride anymore (about none), it probably won't be anytime soon.

I think I'm wedded to the in-line four. I like the power band, I like the way they let the ponies rip when spooled up. And I like liter bikes, don't think I'm going back. What Ted said, doesn't matter the gear, you go right now. I miss my suicide machine, thing was stupid fast. But I'll happily ride the CB1000r. It isn't stupid fast, but its fast. And gorgeous. And Italian. Gets me out of the way, looks good, and there isn't another anywhere near me. Fast, beautiful, and rare. A Steingar trifecta. Just gotta ride it more.

4aI7Cq2NPQlSayO-i8RVdONurA0qfFxlt6KKGI-K0MMEh0BXNO0aEgwUmiS4H9cOGqJ2jj9enjDiSeK3a2BBVVId6TV5-S2wBpEvbx7csUr7rt_rvoeBABt9ZMaWDLZIujA9gtU-QR6pllSTEyxtP5w1y0pa5KRum0MowFPXohsjglEy5D3z1_n2MSfYHkfXDXwvkmkWUOeD_EnKkrLJxJyGYMXr-uxWkine2xGuzUJWRlHwnt0Stn8VttKgUCJpN7HgsSKH5sYrwJrgoMSDLLCVikzyEqWcFLCfZ5f7Uk2papkvnBwfgrxmb5BXWvCIeIfBRbGx2_GL0qHWFspTLfoUfZXdDT_PkZI3magDjw0hBT4PuiIX2OM--WhnJlpWnMSxUcGeLTBkyzJ-qsPH0CWVbILU9hazTfPvJQCzu9zUux33pS-vfqDIVjDzFxxKOddHuyUxUZcMjGrCs4JVhXBrDBrc2wpzjHHVVniY4bpTAGqR3EIy8ctlP8ShN1OX2FbS-HWQ69zNCU2qAhaP_0w_ybpkZajjxZLgvI1wu9Vrp-VmIwxDEJMw5RrLKm-Eb36VEr8v51vbmEdqwOdjHlf7UCWQhCAGvc99P38=w427-h320-no

Last edited:
I think I'm wedded to the in-line four. I like the power band, I like the way they let the ponies rip when spooled up.

I think the K1200RS was some sort of pinnacle for BMW. Inlne 4 done different. Smooth, torquey and 120hp is quite enough for me.

My 1999:

6143876232_a6cf402544_z.jpg

Hard to believe next year it will be 20 years old!

I had a Triumph Street Triple R with the 675, it was a really fun bike but I could never get comfortable on it no matter what seat I tried. Stock, Corbin, Sargent, it didn't matter. All of my weight ended up in the perineum area, which caused things to go numb that no one wants to go numb. Ended up selling the bike, which is a pitty.

I put a set of Helibars on mine and that made it much more comfortable.

Ergonomics it tricky and highly individual.

I prefer moderately low bars and high pegs. The forward lean flattens out my back and takes weight off my tailbone, and elbows nearly straight takes care of a hand numbness I get from a nagging cubital tunnel issue if my elbows are bent too much.

The very worst thing for me is a crowned seat - fairly flat and fairly firm works for me best in that area.

That K1200RS with its custom Sargent saddle has gotten me through more than a few 800+ mile days.

But this is an area that YMMV was coined for!

That's what I hear. I had an '08 1200RT. It was a tad shaky, and it felt underpowered (I've pushed sport bikes most of my life) but I really liked it. It was very nimble, felt light at slow speeds, and handled well at all speeds. It's one of those bikes that you can whack the throttle and not have to worry about the consequences. It was my very favorite bike. Ironically, it was the one I destroyed on a mountain curve going triple digits. If I were to get another sport touring bike today, I'd probably go for the latest version of the 12RT.

The RT has the sound of a riding lawnmower.

I suggest making sure the life insurance is paid up. :)

And, whatever you do, wear a helmet. Or have your head examined while you still have one to examine.

When I got my California license, my motorcycle endorsement didn't automatically transfer over. I ended up getting it later, starting from scratch doing the MSF course thing.

Same deal here. I had the motorcycle endorsement on my Washington state driver license when I was in college. When I graduated and moved to California that did not transfer over. I haven't had a motorcycle endorsement on my license in over 40 years.

You want low seat height, you want the Bonnie. I can flat foot a Bonnie, can't even touch ground on the dual sports. Bonnie all the way. Besides, Bonnies have soul, which no BMW has ever had in the history of the world.
BMW no soul? Just because it doesn't leave parts behind it like a Bonnie doesn't mean it is soulless.

BMW no soul? Just because it doesn't leave parts behind it like a Bonnie doesn't mean it is soulless.

Not self-lubricating, either. You don't need to worry about a British bike rusting, the oil leaking out keeps the outside well lubed. Kind of like a radial engine. :D

I had a Ducati 1098. What a bike!. Ducati is the Harley of Italy. Has that Vtwin grunt and rumble.
Ducati. Looks like a Supermodel, pulls like Peterbuilt, Goes like a bat outa hell!

I've spent some time on an FJR1300 and loved the bike overall, but wished it had a V4 instead of the I4. Too sewing machine esque. But great how it didn't matter which gear you were in, it was just always fast.

I'd love to see Yamaha put the crossplane I4 from the R1 in the FJR. Doesn't change the inline-issue for you, but the liter-bike guys seem to love it. Of course it's 300cc smaller than the current engine, so that would probably cancel out any of the crossplane benefits.

I'd love to see Yamaha put the crossplane I4 from the R1 in the FJR. Doesn't change the inline-issue for you, but the liter-bike guys seem to love it. Of course it's 300cc smaller than the current engine, so that would probably cancel out any of the crossplane benefits.

I think on the sport touring bikes more displacement is more better. Keep the revs lowish (relatively speaking) and have obscene torque. The "pick a gear, any gear, it don't matter" is really nice.

I think on the sport touring bikes more displacement is more better. Keep the revs lowish (relatively speaking) and have obscene torque. The "pick a gear, any gear, it don't matter" is really nice.

Absolutely. If the crossplane R1 engine could be bumped up to match the 1298cc to generate the low-end grunt without having to rev is up high, it would put a little more growl into it instead of the "sewing machine" feel. It's still an I4 though, so it won't have the V4-characteristics even with the crossplane design. It does sound great when you do get on it.

Absolutely. If the crossplane R1 engine could be bumped up to match the 1298cc to generate the low-end grunt without having to rev is up high, it would put a little more growl into it instead of the "sewing machine" feel. It's still an I4 though, so it won't have the V4-characteristics even with the crossplane design. It does sound great when you do get on it.

That certainly would improve things. I've never been a fan of engines that feel like sewing machines personally - I like a little rumble and growl to them. I want to know my engine is running.

My wife's Mercedes GL550 that I've been driving this week is a nice car, and when you get on it has a very satisfying V8 rumble. But below 3,000 RPM the thing is too quiet and smooth for me.

I had a Ducati 1098. What a bike!. Ducati is the Harley of Italy. Has that Vtwin grunt and rumble.
Ducati. Looks like a Supermodel, pulls like Peterbuilt, Goes like a bat outa hell!

The Ducatis are beautiful and sexy bikes, no question. I test rode a Duc 848 and a Daytona 675, though, and chose the 675 as the better bike. The Duc's throttle response was difficult to manage, and the thing had to be forced into curves. The Daytona's handling by comparison was amazing. The 848 sure was gorgeous, though.

Good comparison article here https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/upper-middle-class-mc-comparo , looking at the Triumph Daytona 675, the Ducati 899, the Aprilia RSV-4, and the MV Agusta F3-800.

That certainly would improve things. I've never been a fan of engines that feel like sewing machines personally - I like a little rumble and growl to them. I want to know my engine is running.

My wife's Mercedes GL550 that I've been driving this week is a nice car, and when you get on it has a very satisfying V8 rumble. But below 3,000 RPM the thing is too quiet and smooth for me.

Agreed. I've driven many of my FIL's cars like the '90 Ferrari Testarossa, '00 Merc SL600, '02 BMW M Roadster, etc. and while they are great fun to drive and blisteringly fast, I get usually much more enjoyment from other selections out of his muscle car collection if I'm just out for a cruise and not tearing up the curves. Something about a rumbling 440, 454, or 427 just puts a smile on my face. Although his C3 Vette with the BDS-blown 468 is almost more of a chore to drive than it is fun, lol.

He has a custom chopper and a Honda CB900 (yes, the 10-speed gearbox) that I haven't ever seen in motion. I'd want to ride the CB900 just to say I have, even though it's design was silly.

Reactions: Ted
I actually first met Half Fast through a common motorcycling friend, and we rode together in the N GA mountains before the whole flying thing. I took him up in my Sky Arrow, and then later met at Sun ‘n’ Fun as he was deciding how and where to pursue getting his wings.

Hope I helped nudge him in the right direction!

I actually first met Half Fast through a common motorcycling friend, and we rode together in the N GA mountains before the whole flying thing. I took him up in my Sky Arrow, and then later met at Sun ‘n’ Fun as he was deciding how and where to pursue getting his wings.

Hope I helped nudge him in the right direction!

Well, She Who Must Be Obeyed would probably say you nudged our bank account in the wrong direction! :)

She's trying to figure out a time to head up your way in the next couple of months, BTW. She wants to visit her sister in Ellijay, and we'll probably stay at my sister's place in Cherry Log. If and when we figure out the dates, I'll let you and Russ know. Maybe we can get some time on the bikes as well as in your Sky Arrow.

I guess you still haven't convinced Russ to go for a flight, though....

The Ducatis are beautiful and sexy bikes, no question. I test rode a Duc 848 and a Daytona 675, though, and chose the 675 as the better bike. The Duc's throttle response was difficult to manage, and the thing had to be forced into curves. The Daytona's handling by comparison was amazing. The 848 sure was gorgeous, though.

Good comparison article here https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/upper-middle-class-mc-comparo , looking at the Triumph Daytona 675, the Ducati 899, the Aprilia RSV-4, and the MV Agusta F3-800.

Owning a Ducati is like having a gorgeous, neurotic Italian mistress that overspends her credit card. But you keep her, because she lets you ride her.

Owning a Ducati is like having a gorgeous, neurotic Italian mistress that overspends her credit card. But you keep her, because she lets you ride her.
Yup, which I why I love my bike so much. A gorgeous Italian girlfriend with a heart of gold who puts her man first.

A gorgeous Italian girlfriend with a heart of gold who puts her man first and who will stick a knife in his back during a temper tantrum. :)

I love my little British tart. She's fun and sexy and never tries to kill me.

A gorgeous Italian girlfriend with a heart of gold who puts her man first and who will stick a knife in his back during a temper tantrum. :)

I love my little British tart. She's fun and sexy and never tries to kill me.
I respect British bikes but having owned a few MGs in the past I've had enough of the prince of darkness, Lucas.

I respect British bikes but having owned a few MGs in the past I've had enough of the prince of darkness, Lucas.

A buddy has a bumper sticker on the back of his TR-6: "Lucas, father of the intermittent wiper."

Haven't had a single electrical problem with the bike, but I did have multiple trips back to the dealer over the first few months to deal with coolant leaks. The only fluids the Brits know how to manage are tea and beer.

A buddy has a bumper sticker on the back of his TR-6: "Lucas, father of the intermittent wiper."

Haven't had a single electrical problem with the bike, but I did have multiple trips back to the dealer over the first few months to deal with coolant leaks. The only fluids the Brits know how to manage are tea and beer.

I saw Morris Minor with a bumper sticker that read "The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators"

A friend of mine said he had a BSA T shirt, and that it was a really nice T shirt, except that it leaked oil.

Reactions: SDB
I took and passed my motorcycle training course in September 2016, added the "M" endorsement to my driver's license, and within 10 days purchased the bike of my dreams: a Vespa GTV 300 ABS. It's great for errands around town and not shabby on the open road with a top speed between 70-80 mph (depending on road/wind conditions). Twist and go - I love it!

If I ever decide to "step up," it'll be another scooter, a Piaggio BV350 or perhaps a Suzuki Burgman. To me a 300cc or above scooter is much more practical/useful than a motorcycle (for my needs, at least). There's plenty of built-in storage and racks, they have good speed and power, economical on gas, and easy to ride. I can load up my Vespa with an amazing amount of groceries or whatever.

Yeah, I've already been sneered at by a few motorcyclists, but I don't care. I'm happy and secure in my manhood astride my Vespa. I think they're the ones missing out on the fun.

Yeah, I've already been sneered at by a few motorcyclists, but I don't care. I'm happy and secure in my manhood astride my Vespa. I think they're the ones missing out on the fun.

A few years ago, I was driving on I-4 when I passed a group headed for Daytona bike week. 8 or 10 Harleys, riders in the requisite black leather and patches, and one guy right in the middle of the pack riding a Vespa and wearing khakis and a button-down. Wish I'd had a camera with me.

The Honda Silverwing 600 looks like it would be a nice ride.

I took and passed my motorcycle training course in September 2016, added the "M" endorsement to my driver's license, and within 10 days purchased the bike of my dreams: a Vespa GTV 300 ABS. It's great for errands around town and not shabby on the open road with a top speed between 70-80 mph (depending on road/wind conditions). Twist and go - I love it!

If I ever decide to "step up," it'll be another scooter, a Piaggio BV350 or perhaps a Suzuki Burgman. To me a 300cc or above scooter is much more practical/useful than a motorcycle (for my needs, at least). There's plenty of built-in storage and racks, they have good speed and power, economical on gas, and easy to ride. I can load up my Vespa with an amazing amount of groceries or whatever.

In your scooter upgrade consider an Aprilia Scarabeo - still Eye-talian but has 16" wheels!

Back