Most challenging airstrip in Costa Rica, Cessna 182

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
Corcovado national park on the Pacific coast and south of the country, Sirena station, only access by boat, 6 hr hike and plane.
There are like 25 wrecks around this airstrip, A Cherokee, a few 206s and 182s, a Bonanza and some more.

Main challenge are the deep ruts, you need to nail them , landing from the beach was uncertain, it could get mushy and deep mud.
Also from the mountain you wanted to stop at the track, because you never knew how muddy was the green grassy section.

Coming from the mountain the go around was easy towards the beach.

Landing at this strip required to to come slow , be on speed, and be precise , touch down where the tracks are, its narrow, and grass is tall on the sides, loved going there.
Virgin jungle, lots of animals, Crocs, Jags, wild bores,sharks it was always an adventure.

Sharks on the runway..???

I'll have to say I never landed on a runway with sharks on it....:lol::lol::lol:

I'm...um...I'm not that good. I'll stick with the wild bores we have around our hangars.

I've actually landed on similar, in Alabama and Mississippi. Crop duster strips mostly. No sharks though...

Fun times... thanks for posting.

More like Paul and John.

"...Virgin jungle, lots of animals, Crocs, Jags, wild bores,sharks it was always an adventure."

Last edited:
Just don’t see the need for he stall warning constantly blaring.

Iirc, motoadve's airplane has some serious STOL mods, so the stall warning may be sounding early.

Iirc, motoadve's airplane has some serious STOL mods, so the stall warning may be sounding early.
AoA, too. So he probably knew how much lift he had in reserve after the horn sounds.

Yeah. I could never do that. I need 1.5 miles of pavement and something wide enough that 10 planes could land side by side.

I just don't see the point. I can see all sorts of nice animals without risking my neck and my expensive airplane.

Great video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy getting into a tight one. I do not like it when the tip turns green.

From the video it looks longer than 900 feet, but apparantly that’s just because of the video.

What gets me are the ruts/grooves from the gear. At one point they look pretty deep. Is that also just the video??

182 is a great plane, isn't it. Nice job.

Back