Minor Repair or that should buff out

Whew! Came to a stop in the perfect spot.
One more foot and it would have hit those dogs.

There's always parts left over. I don't know why.

Youch, seems like mud doesn't support a 747 well.... They almost lost one into the side of a mountain west of Sydney, that was a big talk about at the airports when I was in Aus, holding at the wrong fix and coming within "less than a mile" (no one ever said how much less) of a mountain on every lap.:yikes:

Field built jigs and rigging. Field tooling and personall? It probably flew hands off on the test flight.

Would love to know how many man hours and days that took.

And how much stuff "was cut here and splice in replacement section" type operations

May years ago I had the opportunity to see a Canadian Airlines 767 being repaired after a major tail strike. Quite impressive with the elaborate laser levelling and alignment tools. Quite the armada of Boeing people and specialized fixtures and tools.

Saw it on Trade a plane.....said, " needs props. Call for details"

A $100M botched go-round. Did you read the accident report. Argh.
Some say they only rebuilt it to save face ie "never lost one" T or F?

A $100M botched go-round. Did you read the accident report. Argh.
Some say they only rebuilt it to save face ie "never lost one" T or F?

Well 12 of it's 22 years of service (55%) were after the repair. If the repair was less than 55% the price of a new one then perhaps it was worth keeping.

Field built jigs and rigging. Field tooling and personall? It probably flew hands off on the test flight.

Would love to know how many man hours and days that took.

From the descriptions it sounds more like Boeing came to Thailand and did the major work on site with their tools and equipment. Not exactly a job for the local field mechanic.

I thought it was interesting that they hand painted parts before installing them to "lessen the PR impact."

Philly has an Airbus parked near 9L that I am pretty sure is the one that went off the end of the runway last year. It still bears the USAirways color scheme, but both the name and logo have been crudely painted over.

That one actually got worked on. There was a TACA 737 that flew through a hurricane and got a permanent 1 foot bend in both wings. They landed it on the levee in New Orleans. Then they offloaded everything and flew it off. It's still flying for Southwest.

Jim I think those parts painted with rollers were the discarded parts (?)

Are you sure we need a 337 or will a logbook entry for a minor repair be OK???

Jim

It's Australian (CAA) registered so the United States (FAA) form 337 wouldn't be used anyway.

Boeing AOG team does amazing work. Yes, they use lasers to align the fuselage.

TRUE STORY
My company had a DC8 catch fire from lithium batteries and the aircraft had the fuselage burned through in multiple places...in fact to clear the runway the fuselage had to be temporarily patched. The airplane was an absolute and total loss. Several years later while in ground school one of our pilots said something to the affect that we had one hull loss. The chief pilot was in class an he spun around and stuck his finger in the pilots face and said "it wasn't a hull loss, we just retired it early".

Never underestimate the fear of PR to a company.

Jim I think those parts painted with rollers were the discarded parts (?)

No, it clearly says the repaired areas were painted with rollers before the aircraft was flown to a depot for a new paint job.

To lessen the PR impact of showing all the repaired parts, they were painted in the hangar, using paint rollers, before being flown out for a full repaint

It's amazing repairs of that nature were done in a hangar. I've heard the Boeing repair teams do incredible stuff. The latest effort I'm aware of was repairs to the Ethiopian Airlines 787 damaged by a lithium battery fire.

It took just two months to accomplish what had never been done before, a large patch in a fully composite structure subject to pressurization cycles.

The method Boeing used was interesting:

While some speculated that Boeing might have to replace the entire fuselage barrel, company engineers decided against that, as first reported last week on aviation blog Airchive.com.

To begin the repair, the jet maker several weeks ago fabricated a full rear fuselage barrel in its North Charleston, S.C., factory.

It then cut out the crown section to supply a skin patch for the repair of the jet in London, said a Boeing engineer, one of the two people with knowledge of the details.

Several other pieces of composite skin were cut from the same barrel section to provide an inventory of repair patches for future use.

Last edited:
Really neat to see how the work was done and how much work was done! :D I thnk I saw it on trade a plane, NO KNOWN damage history!:eek::D

Back