Midair at FDK (Frederick, MD)

I failed my family. My sister asked me how this was possible. "Wasn't there a flight plan??"

/slaps head.

Post 27 depicts where collision took place. Doesn't seem right since 18Q departed TWY A and was told to report base.

I really don't understand the comments about radar.... it's in the traffic pattern! The tower should have eyeballs out to handle the traffic so close in. And do I understand that conditions were VFR?

There's going to be a long NTSB report on this one, with the ATC and visual angles being a bit part of it. How long they could have seen each other or the tower could have seen them before contact is going to be interesting.
Tragically so.

I really don't understand the comments about radar.... it's in the traffic pattern! The tower should have eyeballs out to handle the traffic so close in. And do I understand that conditions were VFR?

The comments about radar are whether it will be available to aid the investigators in figuring out whether the cirrus was too low or the helo to high.

There's going to be a long NTSB report on this one, with the ATC and visual angles being a bit part of it. How long they could have seen each other or the tower could have seen them before contact is going to be interesting.

The investigation will show that the controller had her eyes inside of the cab in the seconds leading up to the crash while she was issuing an IFR clearance on the ground frequency.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the comments about radar....

It is about abdicating personal responsibility. Go look at the thread on the desert midair. Lots of 'if there was only tower, ads-b, etc' sorry kids look out the porthole or you going to die. Ain't no higher power or gizmo going to save you.

It is about abdicating personal responsibility. Go look at the thread on the desert midair. Lots of 'if there was only tower, ads-b, etc' sorry kids look out the porthole or you going to die. Ain't no higher power or gizmo going to save you.

Come on. Unless the Cirrus had a window in the floor they would not have seen the helicopter. "See and avoid" is physically impossible in some situations.

This is why ADS-B is going to be a huge safety improvement. I personally can't wait.

Ads-b will prevent midairs like gear buzzers prevent gear up landings. See and avoid or die.

maybe, the altimeter setting wasnt correctly set and caused either aircraft to be higher or lower than assigned altitude. i havent read that as a possiblkity here on the thread.

the tough see and avoid crowd: how many times has atc called on traffic and failed to have a visual contact? or for that matter how long did it took to get a visual contact even with radar services telling you exactly where it is? you can do your best to see and avoid, but it is certainly not enough.hence, tcas, tis, adsb etc are worthwhile tools that augment in orders of magnitude the pilots traffic awareness.

How many times has atc called on traffic and failed to have a visual contact? or for that matter how long did it took to get a visual contact even with radar services telling you exactly where it is.

A lot.

Last edited:
how many times has atc called on traffic and failed to have a visual contact? or for that matter how long did it took to get a visual contact even with radar services telling you exactly where it is?

And trust me, it gets worse as we get older. I can absolutely understand how this accident happened. Neither pilot had the other in sight. I have a guess on how that occurred but there's no way to be sure.

maybe, the altimeter setting wasnt correctly set and caused either aircraft to be higher or lower than assigned altitude. i havent read that as a possiblkity here on the thread.

the tough see and avoid crowd: how many times has atc called on traffic and failed to have a visual contact? or for that matter how long did it took to get a visual contact even with radar services telling you exactly where it is? you can do your best to see and avoid, but it is certainly not enough.hence, tcas, tis, adsb etc are worthwhile tools that augment in orders of magnitude the pilots traffic awareness.

So you are going to turn without visual contact? What if the other guy turns the same way? Or you turn CFIT.

This is why ADS-B is going to be a huge safety improvement. I personally can't wait.

Flying into Dallas with ADS-B in/out yesterday was...eye-opening. Literally.

I saw traffic conflicts long before ATC called them out. I would see them on the EFIS, look in the general direction, and spot them. It was terrific.

That said, I doubt it would have made much difference in that pattern. Things were just too close together, and happening too quickly, for an ADS-B traffic alert to have been relevant, noticed, and digested.

Seriously??!! You're Mama really skipped the lesson about not saying anything if you have nothing nice to say.

R44_1.jpg

I know it's assumed that the guys in the Cirrus had to have had it on autopilot and watching an episode of South Park on the TV, but show me how 3 people in this craft could not see a Cirrus!!! They were presumably below, so how could old reliable see and avoid have failed them??

Seriously??!! You're Mama really skipped the lesson about not saying anything if you have nothing nice to say.

Just his sunny personality shining through again.

The Lance vs. Long-Ranger in NYC was a similar configuration, not really visible until the last second or so.

Just his sunny personality shining through again.

The Lance vs. Long-Ranger in NYC was a similar configuration, not really visible until the last second or so.

I can easily see how they could miss seeing another aircraft personally. My point is, as it always is, that "see and avoid", while as good as we may have now, is total crap. As a collision avoidance tool, it is pretty poor. Technology can really help IMO. I don't think ADS-B is that technology though at all. I think something more like a high resolution TAS system, or even a high res. on board radar system would be useful. We'll get there one day in spite of all the nay sayers and protectors of the status quo.:rolleyes2:

Yep. Definitely better to spend billions on that, than simply staffing both chairs in the tower, like the system was designed to have.

One controller talking to the IFR on the ground safely getting a clearance, the other looking outside full-time probably would have averted this one.

We're all way too used to controllers doing more jobs simultaneously than the system was designed to have them do.

The commentary that adding a tower has made things less safe, bears that out. We've allowed the system to be slowly dismantled from within over many decades by statistics and managers who get away with it most of the time, and have the blame fully settled on the pilots long before the accidents occur.

Lone controllers in tower cabs, R-sides with no D-sides assisting for decades, plus condensing multiple sectors into a single R-side running three, four, ten, whatever frequencies simultaneously...

The system wasn't designed that way. And no. Safety is truly not the priority, budget is. Politics second. Safety is maybe a distant third.

The current "ooh, shiny!" at FAA is ADS-B. You won't hear anyone calling for cutting that budget to staff all the chairs.

Anyway... Awful stuff no matter how it happened. RIP.

Yep. Definitely better to spend billions on that, than simply staffing both chairs in the tower, like the system was designed to have.

One controller talking to the IFR on the ground safely getting a clearance, the other looking outside full-time probably would have averted this one.

We're all way too used to controllers doing more jobs simultaneously than the system was designed to have them do.

The commentary that adding a tower has made things less safe, bears that out. We've allowed the system to be slowly dismantled from within over many decades by statistics and managers who get away with it most of the time, and have the blame fully settled on the pilots long before the accidents occur.

Lone controllers in tower cabs, R-sides with no D-sides assisting for decades, plus condensing multiple sectors into a single R-side running three, four, ten, whatever frequencies simultaneously...

The system wasn't designed that way. And no. Safety is truly not the priority, budget is. Politics second. Safety is maybe a distant third.

The current "ooh, shiny!" at FAA is ADS-B. You won't hear anyone calling for cutting that budget to staff all the chairs.

Anyway... Awful stuff no matter how it happened. RIP.

:yes:...RIP

I know it's assumed that the guys in the Cirrus had to have had it on autopilot and watching an episode of South Park on the TV, but show me how 3 people in this craft could not see a Cirrus!!! They were presumably below, so how could old reliable see and avoid have failed them??

Easy. They were all looking the same direction, which was the wrong one. Cirrus probably rear-ended them in a descent (or the R44 was climbing). The exact blind spot for both plane

I once almost had this in a 172 as a student. We were flying into a private airport, no radio. As we're on final, not 50 feet above us an Aztec buzzed the airport. Incidentally, I bought that same Aztec about a year later. We never saw him until he passed, he never saw us. Aztecs may be slow, but they're still 40+ kts faster than a 172.

Post 27 depicts where collision took place. Doesn't seem right since 18Q departed TWY A and was told to report base.
It is definitely right. A helicopter departing from TWY A would depart upwind, paralleling 30, then make their standard pattern. They just use the grass instead of the runway. The collision point would be on crosswind or downwind for the helicopter (18Q), and entering the pattern downwind for the cirrus.

The investigation will show that the controller had her eyes inside of the cab in the seconds leading up to the crash while she was issuing an IFR clearance on the ground frequency.
Yup. It would cost too much money to have proper staffing. Days like that make me wonder if it was safer before the tower. What's worse, an understaffed tower, or a bunch of pilots that may or may not be paying attention? It's seriously debatable.

Ads-b will prevent midairs like gear buzzers prevent gear up landings. See and avoid or die.
Exactly. It is a tool for our use and benefit. It is not the only tool. It does not replace other tools. It doesn't mean you don't need to look outside. It adds to our pool of information.

That said, TIS-B is not going to be effective at most airports in the pattern due to altitude and line of sight to the ground towers and ground radar. The only thing you'll see are other ADS-B equipped aircraft, which is not and never will be all of them. So nobody should ever be relying on this to give them a complete picture of everything in their way.

Moments before the crash, the cirrus position was on the 45 approaching downwind. They were level at 1,600 (TPA + 300ft). It seems unlikely the Cirrus had their altimeter incorrect since if anything, they were high. I have no idea about the helo. It's of course a possibility as there is no evidence available right now to rule that out.

So you are going to turn without visual contact? What if the other guy turns the same way? Or you turn CFIT.

So do you propose the Cirrus should have put it into auto-hover and looked around a little more before proceeding?? He was told all three helicopters were below him. He was told to remain above 1000 (700agl) until turning base due to the helicopters. The helicopters were told to remain below 1000 (700agl) due to the cirrus entering the pattern. So not having the third helicopter in sight would not be a cause for alarm. Based on the tower's instructions, the helicopter not in sight was not a factor and never would be.

I'm completely hypothesizing now. I find it less likely that the cirrus (2ES) who was level 300 above TPA accidentally descended to 300 below TPA before even entering the pattern. What I find more likely is the helicopter (18Q) climbed too high. The earth coming up sticks out much more than the sky coming down. If someone made a mistake and busted an altitude, my personal opinion based only on the facts available today is that it was probably the helicopter.

Tower tells Cirrus about three helicopters, Cirrus reports two in sight.

ASK YOURSELF: would you continue, as the Cirrus did, not having the third one in sight, and "hope things work out", or would you exit the pattern until you could locate all traffic visually?

I'll say it again: A Class D airspace TOWER is NOT RESPONSIBLE for separation of traffic in the air -- on the RUNWAY ONLY.

ASK YOURSELF: would you continue, as the Cirrus did, not having the third one in sight, and "hope things work out", or would you exit the pattern until you could locate all traffic visually?

You are leaving off the other half of the conversation and taking it completely out of context. Your point is very valid and important for people to concider when approaching a traffic pattern. However in this case, you're not representing it accurately. Once again:

So do you propose the Cirrus should have put it into auto-hover and looked around a little more before proceeding?? He was told all three helicopters were below him. He was told to remain above 1000 (700agl) until turning base due to the helicopters. The helicopters were told to remain below 1000 (700agl) due to the cirrus entering the pattern. So not having the third helicopter in sight would not be a cause for alarm. Based on the tower's instructions, the helicopter not in sight was not a factor and never would be.

Furthermore, the collision occurred only seconds after that advisory from the tower. He did not just bulldoze into the pattern after being warned of traffic like you allege.

Last edited:
You are leaving off the other half of the conversation and taking it completely out of context. Your point is very valid and important for people to concider when approaching a traffic pattern. However in this case, you're not representing it accurately. Once again:

Furthermore, the collision occurred only seconds after that advisory from the tower. He did not just bulldoze into the pattern after being warned of traffic like you allege.

I alleged nothing about this incident. We don't know enough to draw conclusions. But one fact is known (Cirrus had two of three reported targets in sight). I proposed a learning question / scenario for us as a take-away:

I said "Ask yourself...." ; if you didn't see all traffic the tower called out to you, would you continue? Climb and exit the pattern until you could see it?

I alleged nothing about this incident. We don't know enough to draw conclusions. But one fact is known (Cirrus had two of three reported targets in sight). I proposed a learning question / scenario for us as a take-away:

I said "Ask yourself...." ; if you didn't see all traffic the tower called out to you, would you continue? Climb and exit the pattern until you could see it?

You most certainly did allege and accuse. You don't get to change what you said after you said it:

What you said is NOT what happened at all. He did not continue after being advised of traffic. The collision occurred at the time he was being advised. Too late to make any decision on the matter. Again, your point about considering all the traffic you see and don't see is perfectly valid, but is not what happened here.

The helicopters were told to remain below 1000 (700agl) due to the cirrus entering the pattern.QUOTE]

I dont hear it that way. If you listen closely the controller states to the helo "stay at eh 1,000 ft I have traffic in the downwind".

Im sure the controller meant below 1,000ft but she did say at 1,000 ft, which would have put him dangerously close to TPA for fixed wing.

Last edited:
You're right Neil. And that statement was directed at a different helo, not the accident helo specifically.

That said, the instruction to remain above 1000 for separation from the helicopters would probably remove any cause for alarm on the part of the Cirrus pilot. He may not have one of them in sight, but it is reasonable to think you have plenty of separation based on the tower's direction. I certainly wouldn't have thought anything of it based on the instructions.

Nonetheless, there was no time to react after the Cirrus pilot was advised of the helicopter traffic anyway. He was advised and a few seconds later, it was all over.

The helicopters were told to remain below 1000 (700agl) due to the cirrus entering the pattern.QUOTE]

I dont hear it that way. If you listen closely the controller states to the helo "stay at eh 1,000 ft I have traffic in the downwind".

Im sure the controller meant below 1,000ft but she did say at 1,000 ft, which would have put him dangerously close to TPA for fixed wing.

First post...

Welcome to POA... :cheers:

We probably have a few new members here based at or near FDK on the forum now due to this incident. Wish it was under better circumstances.

That said, the instruction to remain above 1000 for separation from the helicopters would probably remove any cause for alarm on the part of the Cirrus pilot. He may not have one of them in sight, but it is reasonable to think you have plenty of separation based on the tower's direction. I certainly wouldn't have thought anything of it based on the instructions.

I agree, but just so we are clear, she never gave the cirrus instuction to remain above 1000 ft either, she just said "remain current altitute" which, by the last radar feed, was 1300ft. We have no way of knowing if he was lower than that by the time the controller said "remain current altitute."

Even if he was at 1300 ft at that time, the controller should have planned for much more than 300 ft of seperation

if you didn't see all traffic the tower called out to you, would you continue? Climb and exit the pattern until you could see it?

Of course I'd continue as directed and would continue to look for the other traffic. I think it would be more dangerous to make any sudden turns that others aren't expecting me to do.

First post...

Welcome to POA... :cheers:

Thanks! I have been reading and enjoying for a long time, too bad a topic like this motivates me to make my first post

Back