METAR decoding

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
KEMT 231447Z 0000KT 3SM BR SCT000 OVC030 A2995 BR SCT000 BINOVC W

Why SCT000 and what is BINOVC? May as well as decode the W too.

SCT000 - Not quite fog, but there are some scattered clouds along the ground.

BINOVC W - Breaks in Overcast to the West

SCT000 - Not quite fog, but there are some scattered clouds along the ground.
Isn't that what BR is? If so, then wouldn't SCT000 be like an intensity indicator for BR? (BR appears twice in the METAR as does SCT000)

BINOVC W - Breaks in Overcast to the West
I had never seen this before. Now I know. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wouldn't BR be continuous while SCT is less than 1/2 coverage of ground contact clouds?

Good question.

Aren't ground contact clouds called FG? Isn't SCT 3/8 to 5/8 sky coverage?

Once in awhile we get what look like those nice big puff balls just about on the ground. That's what I'm picturing here rather than patchy fog. But I think you're right, fog is a cloud on the ground. Maybe SCTFG?

Once in awhile we get what look like those nice big puff balls just about on the ground. That's what I'm picturing here rather than patchy fog. But I think you're right, fog is a cloud on the ground. Maybe SCTFG?
I'd go with that picture except I was at the on fld restaurant during the entire valid period. There was no such obscuring phenomena.

And I've seen SCT000 in METARs elsewhere and in the same conditions.

I'd go with that picture except I was at the on fld restaurant during the entire valid period. There was no such obscuring phenomena.

And I've seen SCT000 in METARs elsewhere and in the same conditions.

After reading in the Federal Meteorological Handbook, I think I've been confusing two of the reporting groups. The sky condition group is the SCT000 with 000 meaning less than 50 feet. Then the FG or BR etc come in the Present Weather Group.

http://www.ofcm.gov/fmh-1/fmh1.htm see Chapter 12

DUATS still shows BR as mist and FG as fog.
For practical purposes the only difference between FG and BR is the visibility. Which (BR or FG) the visibility limiting phenomenon is called depends on whether current visibility is + or - of 5/8 mile. Otherwise, it's all the same thing. You could have a cloud phenomenon on the ground with visibility less than 5/8 mile and the code would be FG. As the sun warmed the air and the temperature/dew point spread increased and the fog thinned to the point that visibility increased to 5/8 mile or greater then the code would suddenly switch to BR.

SCT000 with the REMARK BR SCT000 means the sky is partly obscured by mist (the technical translation) (we call it light fog). BR means its FOG but the visibility is 3/4 of a mile or higher up to 6 miles. for FG to be coded the sfc vis must be 1/2 mile or less.

Anyway the SCT000 BR in remarks means that mist is obscuring between 3 and 4 8ths of the sky.

In the old days pre metar it would look like

KEMT SA -X E30 OVC 3F ETC ETC

The real question is why does the government still use these outmoded methods of communicating?
Back in the day when you were writing to conserve telegraph and ticker tape, maybe it made sense, but not any more.
Just my opinion.

The real question is why does the government still use these outmoded methods of communicating?
Back in the day when you were writing to conserve telegraph and ticker tape, maybe it made sense, but not any more.
Just my opinion.
Yup. Time to kill the abbreviations. Of course you'd have to deal with the whining of the old guys that had to decode metars while walking to school barefoot in the snow.:lol:

So what would be the point in getting rid of the abbreviations? Are they really that hard to decipher? I think the pre METAR format was a bit easier but it was still abbreviated,

So what would be the point in getting rid of the abbreviations? Are they really that hard to decipher? I think the pre METAR format was a bit easier but it was still abbreviated,
Easier for new pilots that don't know them yet. Oh wait screw the new pilots, we had to learn them. Also the basic safety idea that the clearest communication is best. Why keep the abbreviations?

Easier for new pilots that don't know them yet. Oh wait screw the new pilots, we had to learn them. Also the basic safety idea that the clearest communication is best. Why keep the abbreviations?

Plus the fact they are abbreviations of Fench words, not English.

There's that whole "decode" button on AWC if you prefer to read 10 lines of weather vs 2 lines.

I dunno... I don't exactly like the encoding, but it does make skimming a bunch of metars along a route much quicker.

OTOH, you have to wonder why use text at all when we have images but...

The very fact that we have a full page of discussion of what some of the abbreviations mean indicates to me just how unclear the communications can be.
Time to modernize the weather reports. All of them, not just METARS.

The very fact that we have a full page of discussion of what some of the abbreviations mean indicates to me just how unclear the communications can be.
Time to modernize the weather reports. All of them, not just METARS.

Well as I said, the pre METAR / TAF format was easier but still, on the scale of things that are hard to learn in aviation, learning weather codes isn't very high on my list. FLIPs, NOTAMs, the PCG all use abbreviations and acronyms. I actually think it simplifies the process and provides a concise easy to read format. If for some reason I don't remember a wx code it's a few seconds away in the AIM or in the FIH.

Last edited:
When you know the codes it is much faster and easier to read the coded reports than it is to read the plain English version. If you aren't good with the abbreviations just use an app, or site, that will do the decoding for you.

Before getting into the airplane, I am getting my METARS data through foreflight and another iOS app, both of which decode it.

I imagine most people will be moving yo something like this in the near future if not already there.

Yup. Time to kill the abbreviations. Of course you'd have to deal with the whining of the old guys that had to decode metars while walking to school barefoot in the snow.:lol:
You still have people using high speed internet at zero cost who abbreviate probably and hundreds of other shorthands. How many times have you read FTFY, IMHO, OTOH, or WTF? And had to go look them up to figure out what they were talking about?
Maybe the default should be decoded and let the user select the encoded. Save the encoded for a quick lookup on your in cockpit weather.

You still have people using high speed internet at zero cost who abbreviate probably and hundreds of other shorthands. How many times have you read FTFY, IMHO, OTOH, or WTF? And had to go look them up to figure out what they were talking about?
Maybe the default should be decoded and let the user select the encoded. Save the encoded for a quick lookup on your in cockpit weather.
Perhaps it will get worse when native txt spkrs become pilots. Mixing up smoke with best regards or idk what.

If METARS were sent in Morse code, you wouldn't have to read anything - just sit there and soak it in.

And, if you don't know Morse, there are apps that can translate for you.

Au contraire. I have an antique telegraph that records on paper tape.

I knew they existed, but they're not the norm for high speed Morse. ;)

It's a lovely musical language -- that still has a tendency to **** me off, because I'm rusty. ;)

Back