Metal Landing Calculator

The manual device is never wrong and does not depend on amps, air, or suction....something I should not hae to explain cause ALL I WANTED WAS A FLIPPING LINK TO A WEBSITE!

If you are offended by this, welcome to the dance...

Well look, nobody had an answer to your question. Nobody even knew what you were talking about until you posted the link yourself. I mean yeah, you could have gotten no response, or a page and a half of all the active members saying "Can't help you out, sorry" but instead you got a discussion on the subject. Some of it serious, some of it condescending, but still a discussion.

It is really that much skin off your back? Regardless of how the discussion went, the end result would have been the same. Either someone was able to help you, or not.

Kind of like you're stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. You ask passers by if they have a spare tire. Nobody has one. Do you get mad if someone offers to plug your tire for you instead?

Anyway we've all (most of us anyway) have gone through the same initiation. Welcome to the POA.

I asked a simple question. Before I had a chance to even explain it I found it and posted the answer so as not to waste anyone's time. I was trying to be respectful of others time.

Then I pointed out the the vast majority of the responses were not only condescending but some of them just plain rude.

I belong to 16 boards at last count, the aircraft related are the worst offenders... I'm not letting it roll anymore though. I have plenty of time, I'm supposed to have thick skin and accept bad behavior and thoughtlessness? Be prepared to have it pointed out.

I already have a handful of PM thanking me, I'll get my info from those guys.

Meh, it's hardly worth getting bothered about really. Why let it annoy you and cause stress? This is hardly a matter of great import.

Personally the whiz wheel I carry has the cross wind calculator on the flip side of it which I find more useful as well as distracting for amusement. I like hand working ETAs to see how close to a predicted wheels down as I can get. Between that and no autopilot, I stay amused and awake.

The thing is there is nothing you can gain by addressing the negative comments nor interacting with derisive commentators. It is your own Zen and only your own Zen that gets disturbed by your response, it has no effect on others. The best response is no response. Ooooooooommmmmmmm.....:yinyang::D

No stress now that I said what I've been feeling for years now!

Sounds like you and I play the same ETA and VSI games. I try and get a 10 mile out glide path and use the throttle as few times as possible.

The Twin Cessna series flaps make for an interesting feature, you can (if very good/lucky) make one power reduction at the top of cruise and by just dialing in trim, flaps and gear at the proper time, hold that power setting to over the threshold. Typically it takes me three power adjustments to short final.

Then there is hold it as high as possible as long as possible and make a power off approach and landing from altitude.

Over 130 posts about a toy someone feels is useful to him and others feel is silly. And it's not even about politics, religion or pitch vs power!

Ya gotta love Internet forums!

Over 130 posts about a toy someone feels is useful to him and others feel is silly. And it's not even about politics, religion or pitch vs power!

You forgot one...

Or started by a good lookin' woman!!!

(or any woman for that matter, but especially young and good lookin')

Oh, look at you piling on! One man's toy is another man's tool! :rolleyes:

<insert dirty posts about tools below>

Glad he didn't ask about high wing vs low wing! :D

Oh, look at you piling on! One man's toy is another man's tool! :rolleyes:

<insert dirty posts about tools below>
Oops. You're right. I should have said "something" rather than "a toy." I was really reacting more to the attacks than to the post but I guess my own bias got in the way. Thanks for the lesson in PC :D

Some of the fellas on here were not around during the rec.aviation days :D
I will say this board has gotten more snippy over the years.
Might be time for another weeding out

Some of the fellas on here were not around during the rec.aviation days :D
I will say this board has gotten more snippy over the years.
Might be time for another weeding out

Your phone is ringing Denny. Caller ID says Pot.

Can you elaborate on this? I've dropped flaps on a midfield cross to downwind turn when my speed was a little too high.

Why should I not do this???

:popcorn:

Well, this ought to be good for another 150 posts or so! :goofy:

Can you elaborate on this? I've dropped flaps on a midfield cross to downwind turn when my speed was a little too high.

Why should I not do this???
An irrational fear of getting an asymmetrical flap deployment and being unable to recover from the excessive bank when already in a turn. :rolleyes:

:D. :popcorn:

How about doing a zoom climb to pattern altitude then doing an overhead break and dropping flaps while turning in an RV.........while being NORDO?

This is an example of the PM I received. If you think rudeness doesn't affect the board just take a look at this. Obviously I wont reveal the messenger...

"I just read parts of this thread. I sympathize with you. I don't ask questions on the forum because I feel I will likely receive the same rude treatment as you. If the landing calculator helps you in your situational awareness...then I would think everyone would applaud you for using it."

....I'll bet real money he is not the only one.

I'm sure he's not. Welcome to the Internet, the rudest place virtually on Earth.

Full disclosure - I really don't care what aids or devices people use to help themselves with flying tasks. It's no skin of my back.

But the discussion thread itself I think is valuable. Obviously not to you, but there a lot of people out there that similarly struggle with how to figure out what the right pattern is and how to maneuver for it, and it gets people thinking. Particularly new pilots and student pilots. In fact, you may have just introduced a new tool to someone that didn't know about it before and could use it.

Okay there are some people out there that feel a Landing Calculator is a crutch. Big deal. There are people that think GPS is a crutch. There are people that feel that flaps and tricycle landing gear is a crutch. Heck, some feel that powered flight is a crutch.

I can't imagine how if he is not Identified..

On other forums, part of the user agreement is to not repost from the forum without the author's express permission.

Identified or otherwise.

Anyway, it's something I resist doing - private messages are meant to be private unless specifically cleared for public consumption.

Probably widely ignored, but there you have it.

did not know...glad I didn't violate the regs.

It's actually against the ROC here as well. I suspect a mod will be along with a gentle warning. Since they were not identified, nor were they quoted to enhance some personal attack, it's probably not treated as a big deal. Just so you're aware...

John

It's actually against the ROC here as well. I suspect a mod will be along with a gentle warning. Since they were not identified, nor were they quoted to enhance some personal attack, it's probably not treated as a big deal. Just so you're aware...

John
awesome

Here's a hypothetical new member.

RODNEY-KING-005.jpg

Here's a typical new member's welcome package at POA after an inquiry ...

1400323703427.gif

Here's 99.9% of your typical new members at page two ....

rodney-king.jpg

I just got around to glancing over this thread today, and so far my one burning question hasn't been addressed yet...

Literally more than half of posts I see get sidetracked with internet tough guys who can't wait to tell you how superior they are.

It happens ... even on my chess forums.

So, what kind of flame wars are there on a chess forum? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious!

I just got around to glancing over this thread today, and so far my one burning question hasn't been addressed yet...

So, what kind of flame wars are there on a chess forum? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious!

The Ruy Lopez is overrated!

No it's not!

Yes it is, you Nazi!

I've easily beaten Bobby Fischer with only 2 moves!

:popcorn:

:D

Generally it is about openings and/or strategy based on a known situation. Threads can have 100's of posts about defense sets, attacks, it is not entertaining...

Just curious, if two people want to find out what happens, starting from a given position in a chess game, why don't they just play and see who wins, instead of arguing?

Chess would seem to lend itself to that solution. Shopping for a gadget, not so much.

Just curious, if two people want to find out what happens, starting from a given position in a chess game, why don't they just play and see who wins, instead of arguing?

Chess would seem to lend itself to that solution. Shopping for a gadget, not so much.

Be careful, this is a slippery slope. What if pilots decided to just go fly instead of arguing over flying on message boards?

It would drive the POA out of business and then there would be no more forum on which pilots can emasculate each other over trivial subjects such as the ideal RPM for basing tach time or how to decriminalize flights for hire by not logging them. Hangar fistfights would soar in record numbers.

Be careful, this is a slippery slope. What if pilots decided to just go fly instead of arguing over flying on message boards?

It would drive the POA out of business and then there would be no more forum on which pilots can emasculate each other over trivial subjects such as the ideal RPM for basing tach time or how to decriminalize flights for hire by not logging them. Hangar fistfights would soar in record numbers.

Nah, we'd still have posts about your escapades at the gym to entertain us. ;)

Does this forum have any moderators at all?

I guess this site is free speech.

Yes, and yes, for the most part. The lines that must be crossed to invoke moderation are clearly defined in the terms and conditions, which I have never read, but been advised of :lol:, to which you agreed.

Yes, and yes, for the most part. The lines that must be crossed to invoke moderation are clearly defined in the terms and conditions, which I have never read, but been advised of :lol:, to which you agreed.

Can we get Ron Levy to ask the FAA Chief Counsel to offer an interpretation on the POA rules of conduct?

Back