Metal Landing Calculator

PA32-300,

I think the point trying to be made is that it's completely unnecessary and superfluous. You already have a landing calculator right in front of you. Your DG. .....

I disagree, I think that's the secondary point being made.

I think the primary point was that a lot of people simply hadn't heard of a 'landing calculator'.

I feel sorry for the guys who have no landing calculators, decent profiles on GPS, synthetic vision, or tech advanced aircraft ...

I wonder how they ever get down?

The dickness knows no bounds. :goofy:

it's getting weird in here.

Edit: Weirder

You still don't get. The guy started a thread looking for help locating a replacement for a gadget he really likes. He didn't ask for a critique of the gadget itself. Nowhere does he say, "What do you guys think about this thing?" he just asks, "Anybody know where to get another?" Clearly he already uses it, likes it and wants another.

Apparently nobody actually knew the answer to his question, but many felt compelled to respond in a way that basically said "Look out the window." "Fiddle around with your DG.", "Draw on some paper." Don't be a moron and waste your $20, duh! That's the dick part. I'm glad Google could help him because POA really couldn't.
I guess that's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that people were trying to help a fellow aviator save a little cash and explain to him that the exact same task can be accomplished with what he already has in front of him.

Maybe he already knew that. Maybe he didn't.

I use it 20 miles out when I got nothing else to do.
You shouldn't have "nothing else to do", 20 miles out you should be actively looking outside for traffic, head down at this point and using you hands playing with your "toy" is not a very smart to do, specially like someone pointed out your DG offers you same functionality. Unless your plan is to equip your co-pilot with this tool.

Now if there is anyone who might use a Metal landing calculator, it's this guy...

Bruce_Dickenson_BA_pilot.jpg

You shouldn't have "nothing else to do", 20 miles out you should be actively looking outside for traffic, head down at this point and using you hands playing with your "toy" is not a very smart to do, specially like someone pointed out your DG offers you same functionality. Unless your plan is to equip your co-pilot with this tool.

OK, so let me get this straight, looking down and twisting knobs on the DG is just fine, but looking down and turning the wheels on a simple E6B, that doesn't require you to remember to turn it back to the proper setting, is "not very smart"? Is there a time when it is OK to look down and use an E6B, or how about an iPad for that matter?

If his little whiz wheel works for him, I'm all for it. It's good for people to make the proper approaches to runways and also to give accurate position reports. The best part is, it only costs him $20, needs no battery, no subscription and you can read it in direct sunlight. Seems like deal if it sets him straight.

Another way to look at it is that people were trying to help a fellow aviator save a little cash and explain to him that the exact same task can be accomplished with what he already has in front of him.

Yeah, except you didn't do that. Your first post in this thread (#8) was this pious, judgmental little pearl of wisdom-

There's another good $20 wasted.

No help offered to the fellow aviator. Pretty much just dick.

OK, so let me get this straight, looking down and twisting knobs on the DG is just fine, but looking down and turning the wheels on a simple E6B, that doesn't require you to remember to turn it back to the proper setting, is "not very smart"? Is there a time when it is OK to look down and use an E6B, or how about an iPad for that matter?

If his little whiz wheel works for him, I'm all for it. It's good for people to make the proper approaches to runways and also to give accurate position reports. The best part is, it only costs him $20, needs no battery, no subscription and you can read it in direct sunlight. Seems like deal if it sets him straight.

I agree 100%.

I've been penile.

But I'm a flying penile! :goofy:

terminalvelocity2.jpg

Yeah, except you didn't do that. Your first post in this thread (#8) was this pious, judgmental little pearl of wisdom-.
That's a LOT to infer from five simple words.

No help offered to the fellow aviator. Pretty much just dick.
Well, I guess if telling the truth = being a dick then Tim's a dick! I really don't have a problem with that.

Last edited:
I did a quick search and thus far this appears to be the thread with the most mentions of the word dick.
So we've accomplished that.

Whoop nevermind, looks like the dick posts are being removed.

OK, so let me get this straight, looking down and twisting knobs on the DG is just fine, but looking down and turning the wheels on a simple E6B, that doesn't require you to remember to turn it back to the proper setting, is "not very smart"?
First of all twisting knobs on DG is not necessary, but in the worst case a single hand will do it, plus the instrument is panel mounted, your eyes angle slightly down, compare this with small finicky E6B that normally requires two hands and full head down for more time to get needed data. For me the benefit from such tool would be disproportionally small comparing to handling it requires, your mileage may vary.

Actually....

If I am being honest... There is a website called tineye.com
Enter a link to a photo or upload an image and it will do image recognition and tell you where all on the internet that photo exists.

It was just after doing that, that I realized it was in the file name :)

So there I was right, standing in the airport terminal area where two of my buddies had a sad look on their face.

"Sup dudes."

"You haven't heard the news, have you."

"News?"

"Yeah, about Orville Wilburs. He bit the big one yesterday. Flew in to Grove City airport. Smacked in to the side of a King Air. King Air survived. Orville, not so much."

"Oh man. That's horrible. I just had a few beers with him the other night."

I sauntered over to his hangar to pay him tribute. A man dressed in dark fatigues bearing an NTSB badge mulled around inside the cordoned off door opening. "You guys have any ideas what happened?"

"Yeah" The NTSB man said. "We found the smoking gun. He forgot to take this along." He held up Orville's Landing Calculator. "Entered the wrong pattern, then whammo."

My heart sunk. He must have forgot to put his Landing Calculator in the bag after he showed it to me. I JUST KILLED MY BEST FRIEND!

I've got to pay this forward. I've got to do something. I caught a whiff of some candle smoke, and what appeared to be the scent of burning grass. I walked across the row of hangars. And it was non other than Marley Kingston. His long dreadlocks were draped down his back, as he leaned over a large, flat table, arranging various artifacts including some ivory carvings, beads, a set of epaulets, an ancient book written in Spanish, and in the center, was a large, wooden carving of Rod Machado, surrounded by burning candles. To each side were framed photographs of John and Martha King. At the corner of the hanger were two goats tied to a desk. The razor sharp machete laying on the table suggested that the goats' demise was near.

"What are you doing, Marley?"

"I'm performing a Londing Ritual, Mon."

"A Londing Ritual?"

"Ya Mon, every time I fly in to a non towered airport I am not familiar with, I get so confused. I never know how to enter the pattern."

"Marley, Marley, Marley, you don't have to perform a Santeria ritual in order to do perfect landings. Here, use one of these!"

"What does this do Mon?"

"You turn this, and set this, and... it sets you up PERFECTLY for the pattern!"

"Oh thank you Mon!"

"No problem."

"For that I will invite you to tonights barbecue Mon!"

"Oh great! What are we having?"

"Goat!"

So there I was right, standing in the airport terminal area where two of my buddies had a sad look on their face.

"Sup dudes."

"You haven't heard the news, have you."

"News?"

"Yeah, about Orville Wilburs. He bit the big one yesterday. Flew in to Grove City airport. Smacked in to the side of a King Air. King Air survived. Orville, not so much."

"Oh man. That's horrible. I just had a few beers with him the other night."

I sauntered over to his hangar to pay him tribute. A man dressed in dark fatigues bearing an NTSB badge mulled around inside the cordoned off door opening. "You guys have any ideas what happened?"

"Yeah" The NTSB man said. "We found the smoking gun. He forgot to take this along." He held up Orville's Landing Calculator. "Entered the wrong pattern, then whammo."

My heart sunk. He must have forgot to put his Landing Calculator in the bag after he showed it to me. I JUST KILLED MY BEST FRIEND!

I've got to pay this forward. I've got to do something. I caught a whiff of some candle smoke, and what appeared to be the scent of burning grass. I walked across the row of hangars. And it was non other than Marley Kingston. His long dreadlocks were draped down his back, as he leaned over a large, flat table, arranging various artifacts including some ivory carvings, beads, a set of epaulets, an ancient book written in Spanish, and in the center, was a large, wooden carving of Rod Machado, surrounded by burning candles. To each side were framed photographs of John and Martha King. At the corner of the hanger were two goats tied to a desk. The razor sharp machete laying on the table suggested that the goats' demise was near.

"What are you doing, Marley?"

"I'm performing a Londing Ritual, Mon."

"A Londing Ritual?"

"Ya Mon, every time I fly in to a non towered airport I am not familiar with, I get so confused. I never know how to enter the pattern."

"Marley, Marley, Marley, you don't have to perform a Santeria ritual in order to do perfect landings. Here, use one of these!"

"What does this do Mon?"

"You turn this, and set this, and... it sets you up PERFECTLY for the pattern!"

"Oh thank you Mon!"

"No problem."

"For that I will invite you to tonights barbecue Mon!"

"Oh great! What are we having?"

"Goat!"
Damn good stuff...:lol::rofl:

This is one of those things I have never understood. What is it how does it work?

Also what about altitude reminder. What is it?
7035.jpg

We call it a 'shot counter'. coupl'a buds and I thought we were getting charged for too many shots at this local bar (probably because we did too many dang shots) that we went out and bought one of these to keep track of how many shots we did hahaha. I think we lost it the first night, or at least I haven't seen it since.

We call it a 'shot counter'. coupl'a buds and I thought we were getting charged for too many shots at this local bar (probably because we did too many dang shots) that we went out and bought one of these to keep track of how many shots we did hahaha. I think we lost it the first night, or at least I haven't seen it since.

Well s#!t, then I need one.

Hey, look, guyz, why are you trying to ruin the system?

There's a reason that Sporty's and King Schools send mail to new student certificate applicants about every 10th day: because they look at the catalog like it's a candy shop and they buy this stuff. I surely did. It's a right of passage.

That chart tape never did stay stuck.

If I hadn't gotten the Sporty's electronic E6B, and Jeppesen one way before that, I'd know how to use a Wiz wheel.

Last edited:
I bought a half dozen of those "Crew" luggage tags a long time ago. I don't have any left, though. I think TSA kept stealing them.

Tough crowd.

Indeed. You really have to think twice about the question you want to ask first before you ask it. The lesson we have learned here is that you are better off with Google when looking to buy pilot products than asking cranky dicks and creative writers.

This is a good place to go if you want to know how they did things back in the good ol' days. Back before GPS, iPads, TVs, radios and it took a man to fly a plane. Below is a picture of the only POA approved pilot accessory and even this is considered kind of sissy by some here.

2064A.jpg

and people wonder why there are less pilots now...it ain't the gas prices.
Do you REALLY believe that?

Because I promise you that the machoism and egos found in the aviation world were even more prolific decades ago.

Because I promise you that the machoism and egos found in the aviation world were even more prolific decades ago.

Yeah, but we modern folk have such easy lives that we have all this free time and energy to be so sensitive, easily offended, butthurt, and "outraged".

Back