Meet my new airplane!

mr_happyland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mr_happyland
After a long and patient search, I finally bought me an airplane! I had been looking far and wide for a Grumman Tiger that fit my criteria and finally came across one only 13 miles away from my house. I closed on it last week but was finally able to fly her to her new home at Whiteman Airport (KWHP) in Los Angeles.

the details:
1992 Grumman Tiger, 3,200 total time, 1270 SMOH, 60 SPOH. She really has been beautifully maintained. It's in excellent condition and had been hangared for at least the last 18 years. It has a King radio stack and STEC 50 autopilot. I will be making my wallet even thinner in a few weeks and by putting in a GTN 650 plus GTX 345 (Garmin suckered me in with a holiday rebate package).

Thanks everybody (especially Ron) for all the Grumman advice given over the last several months. IMG_3066.JPG display-asset.jpeg

I've been flying AA5s full-time for about two months now. They're great planes! Congrats!

Good choice! Congrats

Nice plane. Had mine for a month now and absolutely love it.

Nice Tiger! Looks like a former Embry Riddle aircraft.

Looks like a great bird, congrats on the purchase!

Beautiful!

I love the clean and purposeful way the AA planes are built. You'll have many grand adventures in her.

Like the Tiger on the tail!

(gotcha a Tiger by the tail now) ;)

Purty aeroplane, enjoy! And congrats.

Last edited:
Nice! 6pc will be along shortly to whine about not finding HIS Tiger yet! :(

Very nice! Sliding canopies are the best on hot days, uncovered lightening holes FTW, and that free-castering wheel is where it belongs...up front. :D

Uh, keeping the elements out would be a point. Every aircraft I've worked on has had exposed lightening holes covered in one way or another.

Depends a lot on whether the aircraft is hangared or not. Fit a gust lock and the elevator's counterweights cover up the holes pretty well too.

If a little moisture does get inside the horiz. stab, the airflow that the holes provide would speed up evaporation.

After a long and patient search, I finally bought me an airplane! I had been looking far and wide for a Grumman Tiger that fit my criteria and finally came across one only 13 miles away from my house. I closed on it last week but was finally able to fly her to her new home at Whiteman Airport (KWHP) in Los Angeles.

Don't know if you've flown a Tiger much, but you're in for a ton of fun ... have had mine 7 years and love it. You'll find out soon that that huge rudder will handle MASSIVE direct crosswinds (my strongest has been 29G34 direct, but Ron Levy did a 40+ crosswind before). Am considering trading mine for an RV, only because most of my flights are solo or 1 pax maximum. Great looking plane ... enjoy!

Uh, keeping the elements out would be a point. Every aircraft I've worked on has had exposed lightening holes covered in one way or another.

Then why cut the holes at all if you're just going to put the weight of a plugging material back into it?

You'll find out soon that that huge rudder will handle MASSIVE direct crosswinds (my strongest has been 29G34 direct, but Ron Levy did a 40+ crosswind before). Am considering trading mine for an RV, only because most of my flights are solo or 1 pax maximum.

You're right....a ton of rudder authority is a wonderful thing. I haven't had more than maybe a 10-kt crosswind component with the RV-9A so far, but that was so easy it felt like cheating.

Then why cut the holes at all if you're just going to put the weight of a plugging material back into it?
Sometines it's the only access for internal inspection. My experience is that leaving exposed lightening holes open allows birds (if the opening is large enough), insects, dust and water to enter. Quite often they are sealed up with speed tape.

Sometines it's the only access for internal inspection. My experience is that leaving exposed lightening holes open allows birds (if the opening is large enough), insects, dust and water to enter. Quite often they are sealed up with speed tape.
Yes it is common among all Grumman's to have them exposed. The yoke is drilled for a gust lock that should be used when the plane is stored and they are covered with the lock installed. There are weep holes in the bottom skin should any water get in.

You will love it! I've had my 1979 Tiger for almost 4 years now, and it's been fun and reliable. I have the GTN 650 and an Aspen, which really elevate the utility and safety for this pilot!

Have fun!!

FlyGirl in her 4527N!

Yes it is common among all Grumman's to have them exposed. The yoke is drilled for a gust lock that should be used when the plane is stored and they are covered with the lock installed. There are weep holes in the bottom skin should any water get in.
Every aircraft I've worked on has had drain holes. They can get plugged over time due to debris, obviously it's less likely to happen if a compartment/cavity is sealed. Thanks. It just jumped out to me in the picture.

Every aircraft I've worked on has had drain holes. They can get plugged over time due to debris, obviously it's less likely to happen if a compartment/cavity is sealed. Thanks. It just jumped out to me in the picture.

Ain't that what safety wire is good for, unclogging them? :ihih::yesnod::cornut:

She's a beauty!!

I've landed at Whiteman a few times over the years. My sister lives up the road in Tujunga.

Congrats... Enjoy your new wings and welcome to aircraft ownership...:goofy:

I highly recommend the Flightstream 210 with that install. The AHRS and flight plan transfer is a breath of fresh air. I'd expect about $1200 installed max.

The 510 will also work, but no AHRS .

Congrats!, can't wait to join the airplane ownership family.

Back