Maybe some of you can use this thing I wrote (Kneeboard generator)

Not quite.

I'll try to attach the doc that I have, but until then, this is what my generated doc looks like:
landscape mode

Left side: From (on top), To (on bottom)

Right side: blank.

--

If you fold this in half, you'll get two options - the fold will be on the left, and the to/from info will be inside. Or, the fold will be on the right and the to/from info will be visible on top.

edit: added reference to "landscape mode"
ok.curious to see. I formatted it based on most of my flights being a round trip where I would click the reverse button and have the return trip on the second page. Let me know if your formatting accounts for this option as well. And thank you

Something I did for my Excel form is put the frequencies in order that I'd be accessing them, so I just go down my list-

On departure: ATIS, grd, twr, dep, fss
On arrival: appch, ATIS, twr, grd

ok.curious to see. I formatted it based on most of my flights being a round trip where I would click the reverse button and have the return trip on the second page. Let me know if your formatting accounts for this option as well. And thank you
"I see what you did there"

I generated a page, using your utility, with a single direction. It shows on the left side of a landscape mode page. My suggestion is to try printing it on the right side of the page. What I was going to attach was the copy of that doc that your utility generated, but you already know what that looks like.

I just tried the reverse button and I see that the outbound trip is on the left side and the return trip is on the right side. I'll have to play with a sheet of paper and see if there is a way to fold/print in such a way that you could easily flip the page over and use the return side.

edit: take a page and fold it into a 2-sheet (4 page) booklet. Write down "outbound" and "return" on any of the pages that make the most sense and also leave blank pages so you can easily write notes on them against your kneeboard. Then unfold it and see what you get. You might find that you'll need to print on 2 sides and invert one side.

Check out those links to the Dauntless website and download one of the nav logs. This is what they do. They print two sides and swap left/right and top/bottom so that when you fold it and clip it in that you can flip open/close the top page or flip the whole thing UP and read what's printed on the back.

Not sure if you've got logic in there for multiple approach frequencies. That could get complicated based on direction of flight and what data is available from the database. If you want to make a small edit only I will use, change the KPIA approach freq to 125.8. The 124.675 is used less than a third of the time even if I'm coming in from that direction.

It's great that you did this. And how we are trying to go from "crawling" to "running" and skipping the "walking" part!

Wow, I finally found something to replace Foreflight.

I got bored ..
Did you notice on your auto reverse route in the generated doc the direct to is displaying a variable, looks fine on the web though: Direct To: lblAirportID2_2

Last edited:
cool ... not to be a nay-sayer but doesn't AOPA Flight Planner do that ... like since 1990ish?
boo... In order to access this page, you must be a current AOPA member. To join AOPA, please click here.

I'm gonna have to nay say your nay saying. er um, I mean your not nay saying

I see you have the TPA listed. I also jot down the runway elevation and a quickie airport diagram. (in case the 430W and 696 both fail on the same flight)

I like it. Curious, how do you get the heading and distance. Let me guess, is it with a team of interns waiting for queries to roll in, plotters in hand, they plug in the results and it gets sent back to us in seconds, genius.
math.
tmp_21662-20161004_110757_001484360919.jpg tmp_21662-20161004_1110541020672514.jpg

I see you have the TPA listed. I also jot down the runway elevation and a quickie airport diagram. (in case the 430W and 696 both fail on the same flight)

yeah I write down FE and TPA, just in case there is a specified TPA that is different from 'normal'

If you add some blocks to it for "calculated takeoff distance" and "calculated landing distance" you'll be real close to any standard TOLD sheet. (Takeoff and Landing Data)

If you add some blocks to it for "calculated takeoff distance" and "calculated landing distance" you'll be real close to any standard TOLD sheet. (Takeoff and Landing Data)
I want a takeoff/landing distance calculator for my Cherokee. Too much technology out there for me to be willing to do real maths.

Where you getting the magvar from? If you're pulling it from airport info, you might rather figure out a way to calculate it based on something else as a lot of the airports have old outdated variations still in the A/FD or AF/D
I'll have to look. I don't need it to be all that specific. I just need something to tell ATC when they ask for on course heading. It is rarely an exact number as by the time they ask, I've flown runway heading for a few minutes

I'll have to look. I don't need it to be all that specific. I just need something to tell ATC when they ask for on course heading. It is rarely an exact number as by the time they ask, I've flown runway heading for a few minutes
Yea, agree, its usually just a couple of degrees but it confused me one time on skyvector(they do pull the bogus number from the afd and use it).

Good job.
Don't forget to fix the frequency formatting. They are formatted as a float right now, should be a string. (e.g. 123.0 should remain 123.0, not be reformatted as 123).

Where you getting the magvar from? If you're pulling it from airport info, you might rather figure out a way to calculate it based on something else as a lot of the airports have old outdated variations still in the A/FD or AF/D

Sorry... Magneticvariation = reader("MagVar")

Sorry... Magneticvariation = reader("MagVar")
OK, yep, looks like its grabbing and using the origin airport's variation. I tested it by plugging in a bad to good, then good to bad and you see the 3 deg. difference. Not a big deal, I can't fly straight anyway :) I guess that's why they don't bother fixing it, but still, 1980 data, time to update eh.

Try it with kmao (good) to kflo (bad) then the reverse.

Skyvector does this, check the variation column in their nav log:
upload_2016-10-4_23-49-52.png you go from 6deg. to 8deg. to 5deg. to 8deg.

That is flying around a square between the 8 and 9 deg west variation lines on the chart, they should all be 8.

Bryan - I was showing this to Lisa and for fun we put it KFTW.

It shows 9/27 that is now permanently closed (I'll rant on that elsewhere).

Showing the helipads and their 35 ft landing is easy to read past, but data including a permanent closed runway is something to be wary of.

Perhaps the font on your disclaimer should be LARGER rather than smaller.

The traffic pattern altitudes are not correct.

Jus' tell'em you're goin' thataway. That's good enough for VFR.

Dear Bryan,

Don't be disheartened by all the bug finding. Your app is awesome and if you decide right this second to never mess with it again, it will still be handy.

It is still super useful for reference even if it isn't flawless for a first time flight to a new destination without double checking with other resources.

Bryan - I was showing this to Lisa and for fun we put it KFTW.

It shows 9/27 that is now permanently closed (I'll rant on that elsewhere).

Showing the helipads and their 35 ft landing is easy to read past, but data including a permanent closed runway is something to be wary of.

Perhaps the font on your disclaimer should be LARGER rather than smaller.
I will double check what db I'm connected to. I bet it is an old one and not the most recent one I got. I started playing with this idea a couple years ago as such the web config file probably points to a old version. That would explain a lot of the data issues.

Dear Bryan,

Don't be disheartened by all the bug finding. Your app is awesome and if you decide right this second to never mess with it again, it will still be handy.

It is still super useful for reference even if it isn't flawless for a first time flight to a new destination without double checking with other resources.
I've been in IT for almost 20 years. "This is buggy and sucks" just means people are using it. It will improve.
The traffic pattern altitudes are not correct.
that's actually an Easter egg

Don't be disheartened by all the bug finding. Your app is awesome ...
Well technically, it is a webpage. ;)
But yes, bug finding is a good thing because it means that the SW can only improve. (well, crApple and Microjunk aside)

Agreed, very useful. I think I will start using it because I tend to write this stuff down myself anyway. This makes it much easier.

That said: Bryan, if you need help with some code dev, lemme know. Though I hope I can stoop down to VB level. LOL (Developer humor, get used to it :D )

And yes, I too got the server error when I plugged in two simple airports.

Back