Maybe some of you can use this thing I wrote (Kneeboard generator)

@eman1200 I was getting a similar error by going straight to the "Generate Kneeboard" button. However I found that it works if I hit "Get Flight Data" first, then "Generate Kneeboard"
Yes. Currently you have to click the first button first and then the second button. I will put some air handling and information in this later right now I'm just trying to make it work

Input string was not in a correct format. Tried both Kxxx and xxx as the ID.

Really nice program Bryan, thanks very much.

Idea: on the kneeboard, blank space on the right - have airport diagram displayed if available.
I'm sure a data/source nightmare.

Idea: on the kneeboard, blank space on the right - have airport diagram displayed if available.
I will probably do something like that. If you check the box for reverse route it feels the second half of the page with the return trip. So that will fill the whole page. I'm going to make one where you can enter multiple airports and it will generate all of them. And then I'm going to add an option for an airport diagram. Yes it's definitely tricky but it's a fun little project

That's a good idea if its easy to do, just have it on the back where you can flip to it if needed. However, everyone and their mother uses an EFB these days which will geo-reference you on the airport diagram. I always have that up when taxiing and I use my kneeboard to write taxi instructions on. So blank space for notes is important to me.

That's kinda why I like this idea of a simple kneeboard. I don't need to write in my flight plan with headings, legs, estimated time etc... because foreflight is tracking all of that. Just need some space to write ATC instructions, and a quick reference for airport runways/frequencies is great. Takes a couple clicks on FF to drill down that information.

This looks and works great, I'll give this a shot next time I go flying. Despite Foreflight and fancy avionics I still print out a piece of paper that has key airport information on it, this is a nice clean layout and I'll be using it!

another nice feature of this - it's simplicity. I can enter airports in phone with internet service and take screenshot; then in flight (if I don't have data) with screenshot I can easily view information.
Nice and clean

Briany,
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm very glad that there are nerds like you to figure stuff out for dummies like me. I didn't see this thread until today so I'm late to the party as usual. As someone who just finished filling in all the frequencies, pattern altitudes, ILS frequencies and course on an Excel worksheet for all the airports I fly to, your program got most of that for me with a couple of clicks and I know that it will only get better. More experienced pilots than I can give you the suggestions, I'll just enjoy it more and more as you fix the bugs and add features to it. Great program and thank you.

The only thing I've found is that when I print the PDF file out, it cuts off the top part of the top line on each panel (the name and field elevation) it is still readable but cut off.

I will try and bump the margins down a bit. It's not doing it for me though I have a good half inch of space between the top of the page and where the data begins. But I will take a look. Thank you

That's pretty cool! I notice it struggles with two tower frequencies. KDVT has a South and North frequency for the Tower. In the app it is called the South Tower frequency "CTAF" and North Tower frequency "TWR"

I currently don't have the ability to handle multiple tower frequencies. It's on my to-do list this works okay but it does get a little wonky if you start plugging in class B airports and really busy airports with lots of runways.

I currently don't have the ability to handle multiple tower frequencies. It's on my to-do list this works okay but it does get a little wonky if you start plugging in class B airports and really busy airports with lots of runways.

Yea no big deal...good idea to double check all the info anyhow. I have a knee board layout I have in Excel that is quite nice, but this is pretty cool that it auto generates. I take it you write code for a living? I don't write much, but learned MATLAB in engineering school and do a little bit of VBA now a days. I always thought it was an awesome skill to have...I wish I knew more - I would start doing stuff like this myself!

Last edited:
I've told Bryan this already but his program leaves enough room at the bottom to print out an airfield diagram of where you're flying to. I'm assuming most of you know your home field well enough already not to have both on there. Now all I need is a nice leather-bound notebook with plastic page protectors to keep all my information handy. I can't stand to fly with a kneeboard strapped to my leg for numerous reasons.

Yea no big deal...good idea to double check all the info anyhow. I have a knee board layout I have in Excel that is quite nice, but this is pretty cool that it auto generates. I take it you write code for a living? I don't write much, but learned MATLAB in engineering school and do a little bit of VBA now a days. I always thought it was an awesome skill to have...I wish I knew more - I would start doing stuff like this myself!

I used to write code for a living. Now I just do it for fun. I enjoy writing code but not as a career so much. I do it a lot just to exercise my brain and make parts of my life More efficient.

Great tool, 6PC. With all the nifty programs available, I figured I was the only cat under 60 that still wrote stuff on paper. I hate to make any suggestions after you so kindly bestowed this upon us, but I would second the nearest AWOS for fields that don't have one.

I would also suggest adding a button for automatic Gaston's reservations, and maybe a "boobs of the day" picture that updates daily.

Arthur C. Clarke wrote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
This isn't quite magic, but it's really cool. Thank you, Bryan, for creating and sharing this nifty tool. This is yet another reason future generations will venerate the magenta line you fly upon...

Minor bugs for ya @SixPapaCharlie ...

If you fold it at the planned location, your disclaimer is half on the front and half on the back. (See clipped screenshot.)

"Ccoming soon"... got an extra C there in the top ARTCC box... :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 19.03.53.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 19.03.53.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 18
P.S. Technically the frequency for Calhan in the above screenshot is 122.725... whatever source you're using clips the last digit, or your digits after the suffix isn't correct on the variable.

Also, don't think you're going to be able to fix this, but... I'll mention it for "completeness"...

If you put in a route say, like... KAPA to KCOS...
It's going to give the published Approach frequency for KCOS, but that's the wrong frequency to contact them on for VFR aircraft, because it's a Class Charlie, with frequencies for contact published on the VFR chart, which are NOT the airport's published approach frequencies.

a199af62719f0419fb4b62ca99b80e70.jpg

The only thing I've found is that when I print the PDF file out, it cuts off the top part of the top line on each panel (the name and field elevation) it is still readable but cut off.

When you print the PDF, select the "fit to page" checkbox.

That is an interesting delimma.
You should see this data. It is a nightmare to try and parse. It is so disorganized and co-mingled.
Right now, I would do a bit more in depth research before trusting this solely in a complicated airport.
The freqz for DFW for example are like a paragraph long and in some format from what I would guess is about 30 years old.

I removed the extra "c"

You should see this data. It is a nightmare to try and parse. It is so disorganized and co-mingled.
Right now, I would do a bit more in depth research before trusting this solely in a complicated airport.
The freqz for DFW for example are like a paragraph long and in some format from what I would guess is about 30 years old.

I removed the extra "c"

**This product is in Alpha. Use at your own risk. Programmer not responsible for plane coming from together.

So this is basically a random frequency generator? Pretty sweet!!

I removed the extra "c"

Yeah I have played with some of the public data you're playing with. I see no good way to get the right frequencies from a simple lookup.

Amazing how much useful data they cram onto a chart... and how well our brains can filter it. Databases and lists that can be parsed get really complex when a rule like "when coming from the north..." get mixed in.

Honestly the algorithims I am writing are bordering on stupid because I kid you not in the FAA database, in the same file you will see this exactly

Radar services provided by Ft Worth ARTCC
Flight Services PRVDD BY Houston TRACON
APCH/DEP SVC PRVDD BY Kansas City
CD SVC Provided by WACO

Its like be consistant. I am trying to parse on "Provided, PRVDD, Services, SVC, and all combinations
Some will have it multiple times in the same string.

It really is poorly setup.

As simple as the program appears on the GUI, you wouldn't believe how much code I wrote behind the scenes.
Really not worth the effort but I'm pretty stubborn so...

You're running into why I'm a little leery of that nifty new pop up on ForeFlight that tells you a frequency as you get near an airport.

I suspect, if I head toward any Bravo or Charlie in the country, it'll eventually tell me an ATIS but I will have needed an approach frequency ten minutes prior to that, which it'll never ever get right.

And I suspect I'll run into someone doing a flight review someday who'll tell me their ForeFlight tells them all the frequencies they need, just when they need them... and how "awesome" it is! LOL. It'll happen.

Some folks just love the gadgets...

Heck same thing with the auto-tune database stuff in their panel GPS... those are all pulled from approach plate info, which may or may not be right for VFR... :)

It is a nice bit of kit. Thanks! My support comment was due to the volume of requests. Perhaps you could code a virtual "tip jar"?

Maybe its my printer but every line is cut off at the top by one or two pixels. The airport name line with the field elevation and TPA's, all the frequencies, headings, etc. :dunno:

When you print the PDF, select the "fit to page" checkbox.

I don't have that box....or I'm blind.

Edit: I found it in the file drop down menu. The box is already checked and I'm still getting the cut off lines.

I don't have that box....or I'm blind.

Edit: I found it in the file drop down menu. The box is already checked and I'm still getting the cut off lines.

Your gonna have to buy a new printer ;p

Honestly the algorithims I am writing are bordering on stupid because I kid you not in the FAA database, in the same file you will see this exactly

Radar services provided by Ft Worth ARTCC
Flight Services PRVDD BY Houston TRACON
APCH/DEP SVC PRVDD BY Kansas City
CD SVC Provided by WACO

Its like be consistant. I am trying to parse on "Provided, PRVDD, Services, SVC, and all combinations
Some will have it multiple times in the same string.

It really is poorly setup.

As simple as the program appears on the GUI, you wouldn't believe how much code I wrote behind the scenes.
Really not worth the effort but I'm pretty stubborn so...
Just curious about programming technique and maybe really basic (see what I did there?). I tend to use CASE in these situations. I haven't run into one as bad as you describe so wonder how you are dealing with it.

Back