Maybe some of you can use this thing I wrote (Kneeboard generator)

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I got bored (Drunk) and wrote a program that download the information I write on a sheet of paper before I go fly. I know Foreflight and blah blah... I just wanted to enter a departure airport code, arrival airport code, and generate my kneeboard.

If you are the type of pilot that jots down a bunch of info before flying, maybe this will be of use to you.

Enter departing and arriving airport codes
If it is a round trip, check the reverse checkbox.

I haven't ironed out the "print" button yet (it works but is not totally pretty)
The generate kneeboard button SHOULD give you a landscape layout doc that can be printed and folded in half.

Play with it if you want. I made it 100% for me (not you) If it is something that works for the way you fly then sweet!!!

http://preflightdata.com/

I got bored (Drunk) and wrote a program that download the information I write on a sheet of paper before I go fly. I know Foreflight and blah blah... I just wanted to enter a departure airport code, arrival airport code, and generate my kneeboard.

If you are the type of pilot that jots down a bunch of info before flying, maybe this will be of use to you.

Enter departing and arriving airport codes
If it is a round trip, check the reverse checkbox.

I haven't ironed out the "print" button yet (it works but is not totally pretty)
The generate kneeboard button SHOULD give you a landscape layout doc that can be printed and folded in half.

Play with it if you want. I made it 100% for me (not you) If it is something that works for the way you fly then sweet!!!

http://preflightdata.com/

What'd you write it in? I was going to suggest PDF for the printout, but it looks like you're already heading in that direction.

Where are you getting the data from? Download of the FAA data or an API source?

Bryan, that is as slick as dog poo on a door knob. Very nice!

Maybe I spoke too soon?

In the interest of assisting troubleshooting:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 144: strFreq = KneeboardFunctions.GetFrequency(lblAirportID2.Text)
Line 145:
Line 146: strArr = strFreq.Split("#")
Line 147:
Line 148: For count = 0 To strArr.Length - 2

Source File: C:\HostingSpaces\rljgxved\preflightdata.com\wwwroot\PrintNew.aspx.vb Line: 146

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
PrintNew.filldetails() in C:\HostingSpaces\rljgxved\preflightdata.com\wwwroot\PrintNew.aspx.vb:146
PrintNew.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\HostingSpaces\rljgxved\preflightdata.com\wwwroot\PrintNew.aspx.vb:245
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +131
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2427

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.8009; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.8015

I get the same error when trying to create the knee board.
Depart: KPLU
Arrive: KPSC

the airport and course info looks good but it tanks when you hit generate kneeboard.

Nice, I just might have to give this to my student.

Cool! Thanks for the program.

I'm all about making a cheat sheet before every flight, unless the airport is on my usual circuit of breakfast stops.

I get the same error when trying to create the knee board.
Depart: KPLU
Arrive: KPSC

the airport and course info looks good but it tanks when you hit generate kneeboard.
ok. I was able to recreate it. I will fix it. Thank you.

Very cool, Bryan... why 0% accurate? Is that just a legal disclaimer? If so, the print should be a lot smaller...something like this is usually how they do it...
I don't know. I just wrote this for myself. But decided I'd share it. I'm not updating the database every 28 days so I think I need some sort of notation just so anyone that uses it knows this is not some formal official app that is somehow regulated. Figured I needed a note somewhere. "Use this at your own risk " or something

Slick looking setup. I like what it generates. But I can't open the kneeboard format.

I generated the .doc file for the kneeboard but my Mac couldn't open it. (And yes, I have apps which will open Word files.) Pages says "GenerateDocument.doc" can't be opened for some reason. The file is 16KB in size.

John

What'd you write it in? I was going to suggest PDF for the printout, but it looks like you're already heading in that direction.

Where are you getting the data from? Download of the FAA data or an API source?
data is from FAA. I wrote it in ASP.NET w VB.NET code behind and a splash of JavaScript

I don't know. I just wrote this for myself. But decided I'd share it. I'm not updating the database every 28 days so I think I need some sort of notation just so anyone that uses it knows this is not some formal official app that is somehow regulated. Figured I needed a note somewhere. "Use this at your own risk " or something

So where is the info coming from? some other database that IS updated or some kind of javascript data-sheet you built from existing info?

Slick looking setup. I like what it generates. But I can't open the kneeboard format.

I generated the .doc file for the kneeboard but my Mac couldn't open it. (And yes, I have apps which will open Word files.) Pages says "GenerateDocument.doc" can't be opened for some reason. The file is 16KB in size.

John

I will see what I can do to make the print popup cleaner so it is independent of platform. When I click generate and I see this:
I fold it in half and stick it in my knee clipboard.

kb.jpg

So where is the info coming from? some other database that IS updated or some kind of javascript data-sheet you built from existing info?

Currently, I am downloading the exported data from the FAA website.
I will eventually automate that part. Right now I would have to pull it down and do a bulk insert to update it.

I will see what I can do to make the print popup cleaner so it is independent of platform. When I click generate and I see this:
I fold it in have and stick it in my knee clipboard.

View attachment 48312

I'll try it with word. I run parallels and the windows versions of MS Office apps, but from Safari the mac will always try to open with pages first. It's pretty darn good but not 100% compatible.

I fold it in half and stick it in my knee clipboard.

View attachment 48312

Real MS Word works fine. Don't worry about pages. If you get the .pdf working that's even better.

John

Going airport hopping tomorrow, so this was useful. I went through and double checked all the frequencies - Ground frequency was wrong for one of the airports (no idea where it pulled the frequency it listed from... not any of the other frequencies for that airport). But otherwise, pattern altitude, runway #s/lengths were right, and the other frequencies were right. As long as people aren't idiots and actually double check everything, it looks like a great tool. Like the simplicity. Thanks for sharing this.

Going airport hopping tomorrow, so this was useful. I went through and double checked all the frequencies - Ground frequency was wrong for one of the airports (no idea where it pulled the frequency it listed from... not any of the other frequencies for that airport). But otherwise, pattern altitude, runway #s/lengths were right, and the other frequencies were right. As long as people aren't idiots and actually double check everything, it looks like a great tool. Like the simplicity. Thanks for sharing this.
if you get a chance, give me the airport inputs you used that gave the wrong date up. This thing is in its infancy and will improve as I use it for myself but maybe I can knock out some of these little bugs today

It looks nice, but just so you know, fltplan.com has the same feature. A bit cluttered and really ugly, though. AOPA Airports does, too, but only one airport at a time.

cool ... not to be a nay-sayer but doesn't AOPA Flight Planner do that ... like since 1990ish?

Nice Bryan. Now if you can add in a 'hotness' rating for the FBO staff, that will help with where to go. Oh and local food ratings. Ooh and bars. pilots like bars, I'm told.

Seeing how nice this is for VFR ... I'm looking forward to what you create once you begin your IFR flying.

Something to consider:

I just tried it with 2 airports - I generated a Word kneeboard doc - It puts the two airports on the left side of the fold. Try generating one with the info on the right side of the fold. When you fold it in half, the info will be on the top, and the fold will be on the left. If you clip the top edge of the bottom section to your clipboard, you can flip the info page (top page) open and closed and write notes on the bottom page. Hard to explain, but fold a piece of paper and you'll see what I'm trying to describe.

if you get a chance, give me the airport inputs you used that gave the wrong date up. This thing is in its infancy and will improve as I use it for myself but maybe I can knock out some of these little bugs today

KBED to KHYA... gives me 121.9 as Ground. Ground at HYA is 118.45. Don't see any frequencies at HYA that are 121.9, so not sure where it pulled that in from.

Would also be useful to have CLNC DEL on there.

Seeing how nice this is for VFR ... I'm looking forward to what you create once you begin your IFR flying.
I'm going to be one of those old guys that says "I've been flying VFR for 30 years. If it's nice, I fly. If it's not. I have a beer" no interest in IR.

Something to consider:

I just tried it with 2 airports - I generated a Word kneeboard doc - It puts the two airports on the left side of the fold. Try generating one with the info on the right side of the fold. When you fold it in half, the info will be on the top, and the fold will be on the left. If you clip the top edge of the bottom section to your clipboard, you can flip the info page (top page) open and closed and write notes on the bottom page. Hard to explain, but fold a piece of paper and you'll see what I'm trying to describe.
I'm trying really hard to picture this. I'm not following though.

I'm fine with "nay saying" or other apps. I'm not familiar with those. I just got tired of spending time to look up and write before flying. This was a fun personal project to save time. Couple clicks and I'm on my way. No signing up, joining, etc. Just automation.

Take a blank piece of 8.5x11 (landscape mode) and fold it in half.

Set it in front of you so that the fold is on the left, like you have a booklet. Draw an "up arrow" (so you know which way is up) on the top page. Now unfold it and lay it flat in a landscape mode. What you'll see is the "print" will be on the right side of the fold and not on the left.

If you print/fold it this way - fold it back again so the "up arrow" is once again on the top and the fold is on the left. You'll have a top page and a bottom page. Use the clip on your clipboard to hold onto the upper edge of the bottom page. Now you'll have a top page that you can open and close. You can write directly on the top page and flip it open and be able to write on the fresh bottom page, too.

edit: modified to mention "landscape mode"

Last edited:
Something to consider:

Make a "book" with folded paper... then, attach the "back cover" of that "book" to your clipboard and you can open/close it with page 1 (the "front cover") containing the kneeboard info and page 2 (the "back cover") as a notes page.

i think what's he's asking is instead of this:

From
TO

if you can do this:

From TO
Not quite.

I'll try to attach the doc that I have, but until then, this is what my generated doc looks like:
landscape mode

Left side: From (on top), To (on bottom)

Right side: blank.

--

If you fold this in half, you'll get two options - the fold will be on the left, and the to/from info will be inside. Or, the fold will be on the right and the to/from info will be visible on top.

edit: added reference to "landscape mode"

Back