Materials for teaching Unusual Attitude Recovery

PeterNSteinmetz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
I was just looking through both the PHAK and AFH and did not see any sections explicitly about unusual attitude recoveries.

What materials, preferably FAA provided, do people use when teaching this to students?

I thought it was in the AFH but I could be wrong. If it's not in there then try the Instrument Flying Handbook.

Suggest Chapter 4 of the Airplane Flying Handbook starting at page 4-17 "Upset Prevention and Recovery .... As discussed at the beginning of this chapter, the term “upset” is inclusive of unusual attitudes."

I was just looking through both the PHAK and AFH and did not see any sections explicitly about unusual attitude recoveries.

What materials, preferably FAA provided, do people use when teaching this to students?

I don’t have FAA document citations off hand. But the first thing that came to mind was ‘unload the wing.’ Yeah, not always pertinent in all ‘unusual’ attitudes but makes for good reading. Google it, unload the wing. There’s POA threads that come up

I understand that a bit of intellectual background knowledge could be very useful, but isn't unusual attitude recovery mostly a hand-eye-seat-of-the-pants kind of thing?

I understand that a bit of intellectual background knowledge could be very useful, but isn't unusual attitude recovery mostly a hand-eye-seat-of-the-pants kind of thing?
That kind of ignores what would lead to an unusual attitude. Seat of the pants is likely the problem, not the solution.

One of the things that can cause or result from unusual attitudes is failing instruments. The IFH gives good guidance on that.

I can think of a couple people who are dead possibly because of poor unusual attitude recovery skills.

Last edited:
Back