Major winter storm

You are getting the worst of it from the sounds of it. We had some blue sky last night, power and phone service has been restored to my neighborhood. Still icy here but that is at least something we can deal with. I fear if the winds pick up a lot of branches will come down. This weekend we get a break from precipitation but the temps. will be in the 20's

It looks like we may not have power back now till after Christmas.

We were driving home from Little Rock the other night after a basketball game and passed many, many, many Georgia Power trucks headed west on I-40. There must have been four or five dozen trucks. I was hoping at least one of them was headed for Lamar. I have no idea where they were going. Tulsa? OK City?

Sleet just began ticking on our windows in NYC. Hope all you who have been hit hard get warmth and power as quickly as possible. The sun is about as far south as it goes, and will soon be moving north again!

-Skip

Gosh, it's so horrible down here today! I wanted to make another flight this afternoon. But, the clouds dropped down to 3,000 and it got pretty choppy headed back. Now, it's misting and the temperature is at 70. Soooo bad......

But, it will be clear tomorrow!

:)

Gosh, it's so horrible down here today! I wanted to make another flight this afternoon. But, the clouds dropped down to 3,000 and it got pretty choppy headed back. Now, it's misting and the temperature is at 70. Soooo bad......

But, it will be clear tomorrow!

:)

Dry up! Oh wait you Georgians already did that:D:D:D

How about some good news? My outdoor sump pump is working! It didn't burn up trying to pump ice!

The Bulldog rescue lady near St. Joseph called to check on Pancho.

Like Tom and Diana, their power is out and they may not get it back until Christmas. They're far off of the main roads, too.

They bought a generator which powers the fridge and some TVs.

They have heaters. She misses being able to use her computer (on dial up.)

Yes, I got out just in time. It never occurred to me that I could have been stuck there for weeks. :D

Cookies!!!!! Cookies arrived in the mail! Tony, you are so sweet!!!! :blowingkisses:

What timing! Yesterday Tom and I ran out of cookies and we talked about eating the Slice and Bake cookie dough. :eek: We can't use the oven now (gas oven needs electricity...go figure), so the cookie dough was never going to see heat, unless we tried cooking it in a frying pan. We're making toast in a frying pan now.

Thank you Tony, what a wonderful gesture. :yes:

Cookies!!!!! Cookies arrived in the mail! Tony, you are so sweet!!!! :blowingkisses:

What timing! Yesterday Tom and I ran out of cookies and we talked about eating the Slice and Bake cookie dough. :eek: We can't use the oven now (gas oven needs electricity...go figure), so the cookie dough was never going to see heat, unless we tried cooking it in a frying pan. We're making toast in a frying pan now.

Thank you Tony, what a wonderful gesture. :yes:

oh good! I was hoping that the Postal Service would be able to negotiate the roads. If I must say so myself, that batch of cookies was one of the best I've ever made. Enjoy!

oh good! I was hoping that the Postal Service would be able to negotiate the roads. If I must say so myself, that batch of cookies was one of the best I've ever made. Enjoy!

Gee, Tony.. You're so thoughtful.. You'll make someone a good wife someday. ;)

You know you can bake with a grill (cookies are easy), you just have to keep the lid shut. Hope they get to your power lines before Christmas.

Any damage to the hanger?

Raining like mad off and on for the last couple of days out here, but no loss of any critical services.

Gee, Tony.. You're so thoughtful.. You'll make someone a good wife someday. ;)
Hey, REAL men bake cookies. :yes: And very nice men mail them to their friends who need a care package. You're just jealous. :D

You know you can bake with a grill (cookies are easy), you just have to keep the lid shut. Hope they get to your power lines before Christmas.

Raining like mad off and on for the last couple of days out here, but no loss of any critical services.

Diana and Tom,

You know that you can winterize your house a bit (blow the water out of the water lines and add anit-freeze to the toilets) pack up the fish, the cats and some clothes and be in Rolla in about 3 hours. We have plenty of room, your grandson would like it, and our laundry works with the furnace on...

Two weeks with out power will get pretty old. You're more than welcome.

In the mean time, you can also bake cookies (and biscuits) in a covered cast iron skillet on very low heat.

Joe

Hangar is good so far. The ice didn't tear off the guttering this time. We need to move some big tree limbs to be able to taxi to the runway again. The twin oaks are looking like a half oak apiece.

This morning our list of chores includes going out the the hangar to drain the water tank above the apartment. Yesterday Tom cut a path to the wellhouse with the chain saw, and plans to put a propane heater in there.

It's harder to do stuff here after dark and we welcome the daylight, but then when it gets light out we look outside and are again reminded of the devastation to the trees and all the work we have to do to get this huge mess cleared away.

Do you guys ever get mud slides in Hawaii?

Diana and Tom,

You know that you can winterize your house a bit (blow the water out of the water lines and add anit-freeze to the toilets) pack up the fish, the cats and some clothes and be in Rolla in about 3 hours. We have plenty of room, your grandson would like it, and our laundry works with the furnace on...

Two weeks with out power will get pretty old. You're more than welcome.
Joe, thanks for the offer! :) It sounds tempting, but we're dug in for the duration. Although it would be nice to be able to spend time with Jack (and you guys!).

We can get out and re-fuel the generator in 3 minutes flat. Of course, if we get the 6 inches of snow they are predicting, then we may not be as quick. Tom made an elevated cover to put over the generator to keep the snow off of it.

In the mean time, you can also bake cookies (and biscuits) in a covered cast iron skillet on very low heat.
Cool! I'm printing this and Jim's suggestion for Tom so he can bake the Slice and Bake cookie dough after Tony's cookies are all gone. :yes:

So, how is everyone else doing out there? Looks like the weather is hitting people across the country.

No Snow here. We have been in the 70's for the past five days:yes:

Dec 14 TodayA mix of clouds and sun. High 58F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
Dec 14 TonightPartly cloudy skies early will give way to cloudy skies late. Low 43F. Winds light and variable.
Dec 15 TomorrowCloudy with occasional showers. High 64F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Dec 15 Tomorrow nightPeriods of rain. Low near 40F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
Dec 16 SundayMostly cloudy and windy. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

Brrrr. Time to get the heavy coat out.

Darn. You caught me! ;)

Hey Tony... I uhhh... have some ice on my sidewalk... Can I get some cookies too?? :D

no cookies for you!

soup-nazi.jpg

There are people who pay money to get taken out into the ice and snow to live without electricity. They call them "Adventure Trips" and charge hundreds of dollars.

Think of what you guys are saving!

~ Christopher

There are people who pay money to get taken out into the ice and snow to live without electricity. They call them "Adventure Trips" and charge hundreds of dollars.

Think of what you guys are saving!

~ Christopher

Or missing out on by not marketing and selling tickets :D

Yes we have mudslides but they are extremely localized. Last year a mudslide closed the Pali tunnel for a day and a few months ago, some construction on Tantalus caused a small slide that blocked the road.

There is an extremely small chance that the hill behind us would slide, but there would have to be a large earthquake to get the failure plane into the yard. We probably have no possibility for that to affect the house.

Those out here that live nearer to the mountains and the streams have a greater chance for slides.

Such sweet weather today! Upper 60s and clear skies with not a single ripple. I was expecting steep spirals to be steep at least on one side but no cigar. I had to roll over a couple times just to verify my point.

Now, if it would only hold out for tomorrow! But, it ain't lookin' so good.

Or missing out on by not marketing and selling tickets :D
Hey, Kevin, have we got a great deal for you!!!!!! Since you're special, we'll give you a special deal on our *Chain Saw Adventure* trip and we'll only charge you $500/day to come clean up this mess. Travel expenses, meals and warm lodging not included. :D

Hey, Kevin, have we got a great deal for you!!!!!! Since you're special, we'll give you a special deal on our *Chain Saw Adventure* trip and we'll only charge you $500/day to come clean up this mess. Travel expenses, meals and warm lodging not included. :D

Warm lodging would just spoil the whole experience.

There is a reason why I prefer camping in Arizona.

Diana,

Let me know when enough ice has melted to get things done and I'll take you up on your offer.

MM

Now you're in the spirit!:D

I'll have several days available between 12/28 and 1/2 if you and Tom do need help. I'll even bring my own chain saw. While we may need to negotiate the package price my offer stands.

Now you're in the spirit!:D

I'll have several days available between 12/28 and 1/2 if you and Tom do need help. I'll even bring my own chain saw. While we may need to negotiate the package price my offer stands.
That's really sweet! :yes: You'll get a special discount since it was your idea. ;)

We have a few people maybe coming tomorrow to get started on the big mess. I hope they don't care about the water supply. :eek:

OK, can anybody guess what this is????

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 25
OK, how 'bout this one?????

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 27
Surely you can guess this one!

NO???

OK, I'll help you. It's a man in a bucket. Can you see him?

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 20
OK, I can't stand the suspense. It's the electric company!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipppeeeee! They are here with about 6 trucks and lots of guys! I love them all! Poor guys...it's 24 degrees with a wind chill of 11 degrees. Bless their hearts! They came to help us at our dinky little farm in the boonies. One guy said something about saving us money on our gas. We're paying about $50/day for gas for the generator and somebody cares.

The fact that these guys are here in the cold and the dark to help us brings tears to my eyes. They are out there cutting tree limbs in a little basket up in the air in the cold and snow and dark of night. Just so we can have power.

What did we do without power in the good ol' days???? What did the pioneers do? I bet they didn't whine about it as much as I do.

Anyway, we still won't have power till we can get an electrician here (a day or two or three or more), but we are one step closer, thanks to these nice men.

Surely you can guess this one!

NO???

OK, I'll help you. It's a man in a bucket. Can you see him?
It looks like the negative for printing a picture of a polar bear with a black object in a snow storm.

Hey Diana,

Could you guys still use some help? I could be out there for the day tomorrow....though I do not have a chainsaw. Don't think the TSA would like that :p

-Felix

Back