Major winter storm

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Here we go again. Another ice storm. Just like last year. We can hear the tree limbs crashing down outside...it sounds like fireworks. And it just started. This is supposed to go on for days. I feel sorry for the poor cows out there.

We just are getting ice pellets and LIFR right now and supposed to stay that way. We seem to usually be just on the north side of the ice storms. But I still feel concern for the animals out there. Our Great Horned Owl was out last night hunting and calling, I was glad to hear he is doing ok, it is our woodpeckers that I have not seen in months that I am very concerned about.

Just looked outside with the spot light. A big limb from the red bud tree out by the deck is broken and is laying across the driveway. Oh, well, I guess we weren't going anywhere anyway. At least I have my iPhone now when the power goes out. Getting on the internet with that thing sure gobbles up the battery though.

Tom can't get out and use the chain saw since his surgery, so we may have to just drag the tree limb out of the way with the truck in a few days.

We are with you Diana. At least the only big tree won't hit anything when the rest of the branches go.

Attachments

• 12-09-07_0638.jpg
    12-09-07_0638.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 12-09-07_0640.jpg
    12-09-07_0640.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 12-09-07_0641.jpg
    12-09-07_0641.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 12-09-07_0701.jpg
    12-09-07_0701.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I talked to the wife this morning. She said it thundered and sleet/freezing rain all night in Tulsa. So, it made it south of MO. I wish I was there to help her. :(

I talked to the wife this morning. She said it thundered and sleet/freezing rain all night in Tulsa. So, it made it south of MO. I wish I was there to help her. :(

Yes, it stormed here also for several hours.
Still raining here and freezing on contact. According to NOAA it is supposed to last through Tuesday night, with rain on and off till then.
Should be a fun Monday morning.

Yeah, am supposed to get back to Tulsa on Tuesday night. That should be fun. My main concern is getting from Detroit to DuPage this afternoon.

Yeah, am supposed to get back to Tulsa on Tuesday night. That should be fun. My main concern is getting from Detroit to DuPage this afternoon.

Good luck - freezing drizzle at DPA this morning as of 8:30am.

It's worse now...no power. Power line and pole on the ground next to the house. Tree limbs are still coming down everywhere...it's not safe to walk outside.:eek:

It's worse now...no power. Power line and pole on the ground next to the house. Tree limbs are still coming down everywhere...it's not safe to walk outside.:eek:

Sorry to hear that Diana. At least I still have power.

If you really get in a tough situation with trees I'd be willing to drive down with my climbing gear and chainsaws.

Matt

Tom can't get out and use the chain saw since his surgery, so we may have to just drag the tree limb out of the way with the truck in a few days.[/quote]

Let us know how it goes Diana! We're right at the bottom of it here in Dallas. 40 with rain right now. It's supposed to get colder, but nothing like you're experiencing.

Best,

Dave

You and Tom keep your head down. Good luck and stay warm.

Good luck - freezing drizzle at DPA this morning as of 8:30am.
I went out for breakfast and my driveway was supersmooth with ice covering it. I put down a little salt and will put some sand later today. The car had about 1/8" of ice on it and even the block heater could not stop the ice from forming on the hood of the truck. Usually it is hot enough that even when it snows there will be no snow on the hood. The plows have been putting out lots of salt so the roads are not too bad.

If you really get in a tough situation with trees I'd be willing to drive down with my climbing gear and chainsaws.

Matt
That's sweet! Thanks! The roads are bad here, so it wouldn't be safe. And the power is out all over.

Last edited:
This is what you Western folks sent me for two days, recently. How 'bout y'all stop sending us your cast-offs, huh? Y'all be careful out (and down) there.

HR

Attachments

• Georgetown Deck with Snow.jpg
    Georgetown Deck with Snow.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 31

Matt
[\QUOTE]
That's sweet! Thanks! The roads are bad here, so it wouldn't be safe. And the power is out all over.

No really, roads are manageable and will improve. If you guys end up really hosed I can be there in a day or 2.

You got friends in the area in bad shape I can work on them too.

MM

I hate ice storms. They make a royal mess. Makes me glad that our weather guessers only missed calling for the snow that is falling outside right now. Nice small flakes. Shouldn't have any trouble getting to church an hour from now.

Hope you get your power back soon. I know what it's like when it goes out. 10 days in December 1996, 4 days in December last year, only 2 hours last Sunday. Do what we do, build a fire in the fireplace.

Good luck, Diana! I remember those types of storms while growing up in NW Alabama. We got one bad enough one year that it nearly wiped out all the 'residential' pines. Local paper mill loved it - cheap wood pulp - but the people who were using a row of pines as a wind-break for their house were miserable. Definitely opened up the landscape in the area!

Call Matt if things keep falling down there! He can do a heckuva job, not to mention the flying stories ya'll can share at night. ;)

Call Matt if things keep falling down there! He can do a heckuva job, not to mention the flying stories ya'll can share at night. ;)

its true, the man is a wizard with a chain saw. while he was swinging from tree to tree at my parents house (seriously!) my lil sisters comment was "wow he really is like a monkey"

Come on man, I try to downplay the monkey thing. Would you want to hire a monkey to do something really dangerous and technically demanding?

Think "Squirrel".

MM

its true, the man is a wizard with a chain saw. while he was swinging from tree to tree at my parents house (seriously!) my lil sisters comment was "wow he really is like a monkey"

The ice beating will continue until the source goes away.....

Attachments

• MidwestIcing.JPG
    MidwestIcing.JPG
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 45
The one shot was at 7:00 am this morning. The other was taken just a few minutes ago.
My one good sized tree is gone!

And we have another 24 hours of this stuff they are saying.

Mark B

Attachments

• 12-09-07_1453.jpg
    12-09-07_1453.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 12-09-07_0701.jpg
    12-09-07_0701.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 42
Well I called my flight off. You know every hour they keep changing the current weather and TAF's (both locations) from freezing rain to freezing drizzle to nothing. So I pushed it back to tomorrow morning. It's just the more safe thing to do. I guess that is why they pay me the big bucks (sarcastic). So for you guys in DuPage, I will be there tomorrow morning and overnighting if you guys get bored.

Diana asked me to post these photos. She was able to email them to me but couldn't get them uploaded from the iPhone. I'll reserve comment on the iPhone because I know they have their hands full right now.

The offer stands Diana. Y'all come. You can even bring the you-know-what's and the fish.

Attachments

• dr_ice_1.jpg
    dr_ice_1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 50
  • dr_ice_2.jpg
    dr_ice_2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 45
  • dr_ice_3.jpg
    dr_ice_3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 49
Diana asked me to post these photos. She was able to email them to me but couldn't get them uploaded from the iPhone. I'll reserve comment on the iPhone because I know they have their hands full right now.

The offer stands Diana. Y'all come. You can even bring the you-know-what's and the fish.

Well, that answers that question- she posted from her iPhone. I thought she and Tom might be running on generator power.

Gotta be cold, though!

yea diana posted this morning on purple that they did not have a generator. that looks brutal. i hope they stay warm tonight.

Wife called tonight. Power is out in West Tulsa. They are not projecting it to come back until Wednesday. She and my baby girl are headed to a friends house with a generator. Roads are still wet. I hate being on the ****ing road. This just lite a fire under my butt to get some gas logs for our fireplace. It's a new house for us and I have been meaning the last couple of months to get it done. No I dont have wood there either. I have to keep reminding myself sometimes...Priorities Bradford Priorities! Dumbass.

Brent, no beating yourself up over this one. You don;t want your wife and kiddo in the house with just gas logs as heat; too many ways that scenario ends badly!

Besides, I have spent an extended period in a house without heat; all the fireplace in the world can't do bupkus to help a house designed for gas heat. Out, with friends who have power, is where they belong.

I hate ice storms.

Here at Warsaw, Mo I still have electric. My 2 sons have been sick since Tuesday so I plan on staying put. If electric goes out I will attempt to drive the mile to my mom's house. I hope that it does not come to that, I am not sure how easy it will be to get out of the park I live in. Keep warm Diana.

Wow...Sorry you guys are going through this. It was 73 degrees when I went flying this afternoon/evening.

Diana, I hope you make it through the storm ok!

I have to say, though, that I'd rather have that storm than this stupid San Francisco weather. People here are completely out of touch with the rest of the world - it's always more or less the same temperature, same weather, there really aren't any storms, and we don't have seasons. I don't like it :(

-Felix

Diana, I hope you make it through the storm ok!

I have to say, though, that I'd rather have that storm than this stupid San Francisco weather. People here are completely out of touch with the rest of the world - it's always more or less the same temperature, same weather, there really aren't any storms, and we don't have seasons. I don't like it :(

-Felix

Felix,

I can appreciate the sentiment, but that statement would lead me to believe that you've never been through a true, honest to goodness, ice storm.

Here is what we had in Nebraska last year...

http://www.extremeinstability.com/06-12-31.htm

Diana,

You and Tom take care of yourselves. I wish that there were something that I could do.

I'll keep all of the OK and MO people in my prayers.

Sorry for those of you going through this. Looks like it's pulling up north of Dallas. It's cold and rainy here, but no ice yet and none predicted.

Best,

Dave

A few more from Diana. She says the one with the power pole on the ground is for Felix.

Attachments

• dr_ice_4.jpg
    dr_ice_4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 46
  • dr_ice_5.jpg
    dr_ice_5.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 27
  • dr_ice_6.jpg
    dr_ice_6.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 28
chip,
any idea if they got power there? dianas PM to me last night/this morning indicated they were about out of generator gas.

round two tonight...ugh.

Back