Major winter storm

I've been making hot chocolate for the nice men out there in the cold. I think I'll promise to take them flying too....maybe upside down.

What does the electrician need to do?
Wellllll, the main pole that fell over is attached to the house. That is on "our side" and they don't do that part. They do the part that is on "their side". I don't understand it all.

Hey Diana,

Could you guys still use some help? I could be out there for the day tomorrow....though I do not have a chainsaw. Don't think the TSA would like that :p

-Felix
Felix, thanks. We will provide the saw. Do you have prior experience? If not, then Tom could check you out. I am in charge of medical emergencies.

Wellllll, the main pole that fell over is attached to the house. That is on "our side" and they don't do that part. They do the part that is on "their side". I don't understand it all.

OK. That makes sense.

Felix, thanks. We will provide the saw. Do you have prior experience? If not, then Tom could check you out. I am in charge of medical emergencies.
Excellent. I do have some experience, but I'm not current anymore...

See you tomorrow, I should be there around 10am or so.

-Felix

Last edited:
Excellent. I do have some experience, but I'm not current anymore...

See you tomorrow, I should be there around 10am or so.

-Felix
OK. Are you flying the Bo, or are you flying commercial? We still have to boil water. :eek: And pick up sticks. :eek: But, we will feed you. There are only two cookies left from Tony and I'm afraid they will be gone when you get here.

See the guy in the bucket? He fixed my power so that it came on! We have power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All seven guys got hot chocolate and a promise for an aerobatic ride. Their next stop was to restore power to a little old lady in Jasper. These guys are great!

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 28
OK. Are you flying the Bo, or are you flying commercial? We still have to boil water. :eek: And pick up sticks. :eek: But, we will feed you. There are only two cookies left from Tony and I'm afraid they will be gone when you get here.
Unfortunately, looking at all this icing that's now in the area, I think I'll have to resort to flying commercial. It's too bad, really....I need a K-Ice plane.

Then again, nothing like booking a flight Saturday evening and leaving at midnight the same day. I love the flexibility we all enjoy these days...

-Felix

Unfortunately, looking at all this icing that's now in the area, I think I'll have to resort to flying commercial. It's too bad, really....I need a K-Ice plane.

Then again, nothing like booking a flight Saturday evening and leaving at midnight the same day. I love the flexibility we all enjoy these days...

-Felix
OK, let me know where to pick you up. :) Oh, and if you come, we WILL put you to work. :)

See the guy in the bucket? He fixed my power so that it came on! We have power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All seven guys got hot chocolate and a promise for an aerobatic ride. Their next stop was to restore power to a little old lady in Jasper. These guys are great!

I know a couple in Savannah that needs the same if they're offering any favors. :D

Help has arrived!

Wow, I don't even know where to start. The task of cleaning up seemed so daunting we hadn't really attempted to do much clearing of tree limbs except for those in the way, like in the driveway. And then...help arrived! With chain saws and seemingly endless energy.

Tom managed to break his chain saw first thing, so he got out of that part of the work. :D Then he got hit in the head with a few branches and lost his glasses and it took a few hours to find them. Fortunately, no one got hurt with all that chain saw stuff going on and people carrying heavy tree limbs.

The yard is MUCH easier to navigate now, and a LOT of the basic clearing has been done. I can even decorate my deck and bush for Christmas now!

It's so much easier mentally to do something for someone else than it is to be on the receiving end. I don't even know how to begin to thank my special friends for taking the time out of their day and working so hard to help us clean up the mess that Mother Nature left us. But, as a start...

Thank you Chip!!!!! :yes:

(Oh, btw, Tom promised to clear those tree limbs on the way to the runway so that maybe I can go flying tomorrow. :D )

Attachments

• Getting started.jpg
    Getting started.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Two poles.jpg
    Two poles.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Men at work.jpg
    Men at work.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Front end loader.jpg
    Front end loader.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32
Re: Help has arrived!

I wish I could have been there. It scares the crap out of me to see people trimming trees from ladders and bucket loaders!

I've got the flu now but maybe I can get down there later and help with the higher up stuff.

Glad to see you guys are getting help. I know what you mean about it being easier to give than receive. Just remember it's probably true for those who helped you and enjoy. I know I would have had a good time. It's satisfying to be of use.

Wow, I don't even know where to start. The task of cleaning up seemed so daunting we hadn't really attempted to do much clearing of tree limbs except for those in the way, like in the driveway. And then...help arrived! With chain saws and seemingly endless energy.

Tom managed to break his chain saw first thing, so he got out of that part of the work. :D Then he got hit in the head with a few branches and lost his glasses and it took a few hours to find them. Fortunately, no one got hurt with all that chain saw stuff going on and people carrying heavy tree limbs.

The yard is MUCH easier to navigate now, and a LOT of the basic clearing has been done. I can even decorate my deck and bush for Christmas now!

It's so much easier mentally to do something for someone else than it is to be on the receiving end. I don't even know how to begin to thank my special friends for taking the time out of their day and working so hard to help us clean up the mess that Mother Nature left us. But, as a start...

Thank you Chip!!!!! :yes:

(Oh, btw, Tom promised to clear those tree limbs on the way to the runway so that maybe I can go flying tomorrow. :D )

Re: Help has arrived!

I wish I could have been there. It scares the crap out of me to see people trimming trees from ladders and bucket loaders!
Oh, I think in that picture, they were just tying a chain to a limb to pull it out with the tractor.

I've got the flu now but maybe I can get down there later and help with the higher up stuff.
I hope you get over the flu quickly! There's been a lot of potent stuff going around.

There will still be lots to do for several months here, so we'll still need more help. :) And then maybe we can go flying for fun. :)

My elder son up in Fulton was trying to clear out his/neighbor's yards Friday night (it's after dark when they get home), and while pulling a large limb tripped backwards and pulled/tore a/some ligament(s) in his ankle/knee. ER put him in a walking boot after X-rays showed nothing broken; he'll go to a sports medicine clinic this week to see what was torn/pulled and go from there.

Y'all be careful, now, y'hear!?

Keep warm,

My elder son up in Fulton was trying to clear out his/neighbor's yards Friday night (it's after dark when they get home), and while pulling a large limb tripped backwards and pulled/tore a/some ligament(s) in his ankle/knee. ER put him in a walking boot after X-rays showed nothing broken; he'll go to a sports medicine clinic this week to see what was torn/pulled and go from there.
Gosh, Jim, that's too bad. :( Poor guy. It's bad enough to have to deal with all the mess and inconvenience, then to have to deal with an injury and being in a walking boot...well, poor guy! :( I hope he is on the mend soon.

Hooray! Electricity!

and some limbs gone to boot.

Glad you are getting back to some sense of normal.

The good stuff and the not so good stuff

It's been a good day here at the farm...mostly. We discovered the hangar apartment had flooded from a leak in the hot water tank above the room. Whattamess. We're on somebody's list to have that worked on. The water came through the walls and the ceiling. Whattamess.

But, then, a Citabria friend (Chip, you met Bruce here one day) showed up at the farm with another friend and their chain saws and they worked a few hours to clear away the limbs out by the twin oaks. We can now taxi to the runway again. That was SO nice of them to come help. :yes: We have some wonderful friends and for that we are very grateful. They got to eat that left over chili for lunch today. They liked the veggies in the chili. :)

Hooray! Electricity!

and some limbs gone to boot.

Glad you are getting back to some sense of normal.

Things really are looking up. :yes: At least my brother and his wife can stay here now that we have electricity, and I can go see my mom for Christmas now that we don't have to keep filling up the generator. It's even warmed up outside and the ice and snow have almost melted. Now that the Citabria has been set free, it looks like tomorrow will be a great day to go flying. :yes:

I finished the Thanksgiving video now that my computer is acting normal and I'll be mailing it to you in a few days. :)

I am reminded by all this that there is precious little between us and the iron age.

I am reminded by all this that there is precious little between us and the iron age.
Funny you should mention that Bruce. I've been thinking the same thing lately. It's almost scary. Can we really be self-sufficient any more? It would be very time consuming to go without all of our "luxuries" that we take for granted, like clean water and electrical power and safe food storage.

Funny you should mention that Bruce. I've been thinking the same thing lately. It's almost scary. Can we really be self-sufficient any more? It would be very time consuming to go without all of our "luxuries" that we take for granted, like clean water and electrical power and safe food storage.
There are many places on this planet where people still go without those things. I see them from time to tie form the window of my 5-star hotel room. That is not a joke either. In Indonesia the Grand Hyatt is next to a slum that looks like Sally Struthers would walk through and ask people to donate. I see really poor people living without electricity all the time in China just a mile or two outside of major cities.

My son still isn't back in the house. No electricity. The insurance adjuster should be arriving to see him in 15 minutes. The adjuster told him to keep track of the hours he spends fixing things and he'll get paid. We'll be there Saturday or Sunday if the weather lets us.

Chip, the Georgia trucks were headed to Tulsa. They are the company that got my house back on Sunday. So, it took a week to get power at my house in west Tulsa (Sand Springs, OK). I counted 40 boom trucks in the K-Mart parking lot in Sand Springs the other day. They were dispatching them from there. We still do not have cable so I dont have internet at the house. I am on a trip in DE right now which is how I have internet.

I got home Wednesday morning and immediately started sawing up fire wood. It looks like a bomb went off. In Tulsa, anything on and north of I-44 got hammered. I got the house up to 70F with the fireplace so my wife and daughter could come home. Then got a generator from a friend and ran the refrigerator and a small TV so Mik could watch cartoons movies (priorities) :).

After that, I have been involved with the community. The firetruck has a 75 ft hydo ladder and with a chain saw, you can do some damage. I have ate so much saw dust, I should be made of wood. Only problem, I have been helping my neighbors so much my yard still looks like crap! So I need to get some stuff done there when I get home this weekend coming.

I am blessed. My father-in-law in Mountain View, AR said he has three generators that are big enough to run our central heat and air and a refrigerator. I am going to pick it up over Xmas. It will give me more peice of mind when I am gone.

Sad. I had to go on a trip to get some rest. I am going to sleep well tonight!

I got home Wednesday morning and immediately started sawing up fire wood. It looks like a bomb went off. In Tulsa, anything on and north of I-44 got hammered. I got the house up to 70F with the fireplace so my wife and daughter could come home. Then got a generator from a friend...
Glad to hear you have power back and have a handle on things. Now you can leave your family and feel more comfortable about it when you travel.

After that, I have been involved with the community.
Brent, that's great that you are helping others, even though you still have a mess at home. There is SO much clean-up to be done everywhere! Tom stopped at our neighbors tonight and offered to drive his tractor down to their house to help with the big limbs. They don't have any way to move them and don't have a tractor.

Chip, the Georgia trucks were headed to Tulsa. They are the company that got my house back on Sunday. So, it took a week to get power at my house in west Tulsa (Sand Springs, OK). I counted 40 boom trucks in the K-Mart parking lot in Sand Springs the other day. They were dispatching them from there. We still do not have cable so I dont have internet at the house. I am on a trip in DE right now which is how I have internet.

I got home Wednesday morning and immediately started sawing up fire wood. It looks like a bomb went off. In Tulsa, anything on and north of I-44 got hammered. I got the house up to 70F with the fireplace so my wife and daughter could come home. Then got a generator from a friend and ran the refrigerator and a small TV so Mik could watch cartoons movies (priorities) :).

After that, I have been involved with the community. The firetruck has a 75 ft hydo ladder and with a chain saw, you can do some damage. I have ate so much saw dust, I should be made of wood. Only problem, I have been helping my neighbors so much my yard still looks like crap! So I need to get some stuff done there when I get home this weekend coming.

I am blessed. My father-in-law in Mountain View, AR said he has three generators that are big enough to run our central heat and air and a refrigerator. I am going to pick it up over Xmas. It will give me more peice of mind when I am gone.

Sad. I had to go on a trip to get some rest. I am going to sleep well tonight!

Thanks for filling me in. I wondered where they were going.

You're a good man. Few of us would look after our neighbors before we took care of ourselves.

Have a very, very Merry Christmas.

Thanks for filling me in. I wondered where they were going.

You're a good man. Few of us would look after our neighbors before we took care of ourselves.

Have a very, very Merry Christmas.

Well problem is...I showed up at the house with the fire truck and a couple of neighbors (cops) stopped and asked me to take care of a couple of elderly people. They helped too. The power company wouldn't touch the old peoples house until their trees limbs were clear. So after that it kind of just started snow balling. So I cant take credit for the idea. People see that big truck with a huge ladder and loud desiel...and well...as my wife says...Tim (aka Tim the Tool Man Taylor) you gotta learn to say no. :)

Wow... Cool!

I think he should bring it to Gaston's as the PoA Party Bus. :yes:

It's a 1948 American LaFrance Ladder Truck. My best friend and I own it. It's currently for sale. To make things simple, he just bought me out yesterday. So technically he owns it now. I think I have pictures at the house. When I get home, I will try and post. We bought a 57 fire truck and used the parts to restore the 48. The 48 was much better looking.

I could bring it to Gastons but I would have to trailer it in. That would be a big ass trailer. Top speed is 48 m.p.h. It has 2/40 air (two windows and 40 m.p.h.) So, Gastons during that time would be a long hot ride.

I called Pancho's foster parent in MO (I was IN the vet's examining room when vet #2 on visit #2 asked if I really knew if she had not had her shots. I called on my cell. It turns out she had gotten them so I saved some money.) They got power back the day after they bought the generator. Sounds about how it would have gone for me.

Here we go again. Winter storm warning for tomorrow:

TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE-QUARTER TO ONE-HALF INCH WILL BE
POSSIBLE ACROSS ALL OF THE MISSOURI OZARKS AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST
KANSAS.

I talked to my brother who had the 8 day power outage in the Chicago burbs last fall. He got a natural gas generator with auto-switchover.

I gotta work my way into that setup someday.

Here we go again. Winter storm warning for tomorrow:

TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE-QUARTER TO ONE-HALF INCH WILL BE
POSSIBLE ACROSS ALL OF THE MISSOURI OZARKS AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST
KANSAS.
Those cornfields will be happy in a few months.

Since you have no trees left it shouldn't be as bad this time.
Sad but true! :D I wish the electrician would have made it out to hook up the power line to the house...it's still on the old pole which is hanging by a rope off the new pole. We kept calling to remind them and were hoping we were moving up on their list.

Call if you need anything.
Thanks. :) I was watching your weather down there...you guys getting any ice?

Sad but true! :D I wish the electrician would have made it out to hook up the power line to the house...it's still on the old pole which is hanging by a rope off the new pole. We kept calling to remind them and were hoping we were moving up on their list.

Thanks. :) I was watching your weather down there...you guys getting any ice?

They were calling for us to get hit too. We got enough HAIL to cover the grass and to make slick spots on the roads about 4AM this morning. It has been 34 since the sun came up so everything has melted. They're not calling for it to get too bad our way as of now.

By the looks of things from the Missouri line north, Tony may need to think about pre-heating his oven! :)

Last edited:
My bro-in-law is currently at Ft. Leonardwood (Lost in the Woods). He's staying home today since the base is closed due to all the ice/sleet they've had.

Just snow up this way. (thank goodness?!?!)

Back