MAJOR UPDATE - !

OMG. I'm in SF getting luggage for 6Y9 fly-in. I don't own any. I'm with my Mom, haven't seen her in months.

And oh yeah.

I

AM

A

PILOT!!!!

I actually cried when he told me.

Oh and I screamed "I'm a pilot" like 3 times in a row on my solo flight (18nm) home which was my first pp flight!!!

More to come....

Kimberly

Checked studentpilot.com last thing before retiring last night and first thing this morning....the silence was ominous. Now I know that I should have checked over here. Congratulations!!!

You have a unique writing style...I hope that you will continue to chronicle your adventures in the forums.

Bob Gardner

Huge congrats Kimberly!

Who is the lucky first person you are taking up?

One thing you have to figure in the the increased proportion of students who really arent English Proficient,

I'm always amazed at what I hear on the radio. Recently, listening to a CTAF over west virginia at 10k feet, I heard a 2 minute conversation entirely in spanish.

Kimberly Anne - Congratulations to you. I recall my check ride like it was yesterday, the thrill does not fade.

Go forth and aviate. Oh, and when you get on the airliner to fly to 6Y9, don't forget to stop by the cockpit and let 'em know you're a pilot, in case they need you assistance.

It may need to wait until later today / tonight - but I will do my best to post an accurate checkride story in a new thread (I know when I was a student I would do "searches" for those types of threads).

Thank you all so much . . . at first I was going to take up a friend of mine but now I've decided to have my Dad instead as my first passenger. Too bad the plane is booked on Sept. 12 for a checkride - which leaves me only with September 11th. Flying over the Golden Gate Bridge on September 11th with my Dad will be the most awesome thing I have ever done - already called the weather briefers to see if for some reason there were TFR's or anything. There are none.

Checked studentpilot.com last thing before retiring last night and first thing this morning....the silence was ominous. Now I know that I should have checked over here. Congratulations!!!

You have a unique writing style...I hope that you will continue to chronicle your adventures in the forums.

Bob Gardner

Thanks, I'll try to keep up with Student Pilot. I do really like it over there.

Flying over the Golden Gate Bridge on September 11th with my Dad will be the most awesome thing I have ever done - already called the weather briefers to see if for some reason there were TFR's or anything. There are none.

Check the day before and even during your preflight again to be sure. To early yet for them to be posted.

Kim,

As the Dad of a daughter only four years younger than you, I find your desire to give your Dad the first ride to be just a great thing fior you to do. I hope he appreciates the honor.

Doc

It may need to wait until later today / tonight - but I will do my best to post an accurate checkride story in a new thread (I know when I was a student I would do "searches" for those types of threads).

Thank you all so much . . . at first I was going to take up a friend of mine but now I've decided to have my Dad instead as my first passenger. Too bad the plane is booked on Sept. 12 for a checkride - which leaves me only with September 11th. Flying over the Golden Gate Bridge on September 11th with my Dad will be the most awesome thing I have ever done - already called the weather briefers to see if for some reason there were TFR's or anything. There are none.

Back in the way back...;):rofl:

Radar services terminated, squawk VFR good day!

They really don't do that IME, especially in California. They like having you on with them, it makes it easy for them when they can call out your traffic and you respond "Contact traffic will avoid" as it shrinks the legal buffer space they have to assure the IFR traffic. Sometimes a controller will release me but give me the next freq, but 99% of the time, I just get haded off to the next guy till I get where I'm going.

They really do that all over CA. Even the exceptionally nice Santa Barbara TRACON will make that call. NorCal in the Sacramento Valley area seems to do it the most. Joshua APP/DEP hardly ever, SoCal APP/DEP sometimes but mostly in those regions just north of San Diego.

ZLA below 10,000 when east of Twentynine Palms does it most often.

They really don't do that IME, especially in California. They like having you on with them, it makes it easy for them when they can call out your traffic and you respond "Contact traffic will avoid" as it shrinks the legal buffer space they have to assure the IFR traffic. Sometimes a controller will release me but give me the next freq, but 99% of the time, I just get haded off to the next guy till I get where I'm going.

They ALWAYS drop me here in MT, MEAs are 13K and they can't see me at 12,500'. If you are VFR they will drop you like a bad habit 15-20 miles east of KMSO.Get closer to cut bank and you can't even get anyone on the radio except MAYBE Great Falls RCO if you're high enough. I hit panic mode trying to cross back over the border from Canada and couldn't get anyone on the radio until about 10 miles away from the border. We have TFRs here in MT but they are visible because the're usually over wildfires and you don't want to be near them anyway, TFR or not.

One of my more memorable "Sqawk VFRs", I was scud running from the san juan islands down to KVUO (You know the airport who's traffic pattern is 500' below the ILS to KPDX!) to do the Gorge run to get around the Cascades, saw the cut out of KPDX airspace and thought, hmm, that looks complicated, I'll just FF in there and not worry, a few miles out for KVUO, I get "Squawk VFR, good day" I about had to put the thing into a slipping steep turn to keep from busting the KPDX airspace.... Swapped over to the tower and he held my hand coming in.

Going into KSEA Bravo airspace the controller was periodically announcing "Calling VFR traffic, I don't have time".

Be ready when in case they drop you, cause they can.

Bob Gardner

Just posted to SP and thanks for all your support (from the beginning before POA).

Kimberly

Just posted to SP and thanks for all your support (from the beginning before POA).

Kimberly

so this is the equivalent of the "RADAR SERVICES TERMINATED. SQUAWK VFR" above? You're going to make us go over to SP to read it? :D

so this is the equivalent of the "RADAR SERVICES TERMINATED. SQUAWK VFR" above? You're going to make us go over to SP to read it? :D
I suspect it has to do with stature. Over there they fawn over you. POA is a tougher crowd.

Besides, we already have a Queen.

I suspect it has to do with stature. Over there they fawn over you. POA is a tougher crowd.

Besides, we already have a Queen.

Thhanks ohhh soooo much...

drag-queen484d.jpg

Henning that's not you in drag ? please say it's not so.....

Congratulations Kim.

Here's the print of SFO airspace. Please stay beyone 10 DME ( the bridge is at 12 DME and beware of Oakland's shelf to the EAST. which only lets you up to 1499 msl. Remember you need to be at 1500 minimum to clear the towers of the Golden Gate to comply with the 1000 above (congested).

Have fun and call no attention to yourself! :)

Attachments

• SFO Airspace.PDF
    348 KB · Views: 8
  • SFOVFRairspace.PDF
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Congratulations Kim.

Here's the print of SFO airspace. Please stay beyone 10 DME ( the bridge is at 12 DME and beware of Oakland's shelf to the EAST. which only lets you up to 1499 msl. Remember you need to be at 1500 minimum to clear the towers of the Golden Gate to comply with the 1000 above (congested).

Thanks.

I actually know of a CFI who lives in the same town I do (long story - he was involved with the plane I did my intro flight in). I think I'll just meet him at a coffee place, pay him for an hour of his time, and review the TAC I bought / the first 3 "bay tour flights" I want to do.

It does cost money but I think it would be better than to have my first PAX and go into that airspace "unsure" and without a GPS.

Kimberly

Congratulations Kim.

Or you can go underneath it....;)

Kim, I didn't see the post where you said you did your checkride today (I thought it was going to be 9/11 or 9/12?? maybe I misread!) but everyone is congratulating you so I assume it was today, so a big congratulations from me too!! I hope I can make it to 6Y9 to meet you. Fly safe! :congarats: :cheers: :wonderwoman:

Kim, I didn't see the post where you said you did your checkride today (I thought it was going to be 9/11 or 9/12?? maybe I misread!) but everyone is congratulating you so I assume it was today, so a big congratulations from me too!! I hope I can make it to 6Y9 to meet you. Fly safe! :congarats: :cheers: :wonderwoman:

I know you're having plane issues, but I really hope to meet you. Not a lot of POA meetings on the West Coast, so this will be possibly my only "chance" until all the fly-ins next year!

Good luck with your plane. Hope the RPM drops get resolved.

Oh and BTW it was yesterday afternoon. But that doesn't matter now. I'm a pilot.

Back