MAJOR UPDATE - !

Lets just say the ride to 6Y9 is not going to be enjoyable.

Because being fresh from the checkride she knows more about aviaiting than you do. And she has the cert to prove it!

IOW, I don't trust Ed. Ed should write headlines for MNBC.

Last edited:
OMG. I'm in SF getting luggage for 6Y9 fly-in. I don't own any. I'm with my Mom, haven't seen her in months.

And oh yeah.

I

AM

A

PILOT!!!!

I actually cried when he told me.

Oh and I screamed "I'm a pilot" like 3 times in a row on my solo flight (18nm) home which was my first pp flight!!!

More to come....

Kimberly

Let me be the first to offer congratulations! BTW, I'll say what's already been said here a number of times - you were ALREADY a pilot. Now, you're a CERTIFICATED pilot! Looking forward to reading the whole story in the morning!

The national pass rate is 90%

Not sure why that number keeps getting repeated; Ron Levy wrote it earlier. It has been false for at least the last 12 years. You can check under Table 19, "Original Airmen Certificates Approved/Disapproved by Category and Conductor" on the FAA web site:

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/

The average pass rate over the last 10 years for student pilot to private pilot is approximately 78%. (In 2005, the worst year, it was only 76% - nearly 1 in 4 students failed to pass. On average a tad more than 1 in 5 fail to pass; NOT 1 in 10.)

I

AM

A

PILOT!!!!

827227_enlrg.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!

Hopefully I'm about a year behind you... maybe... :)

Not sure why that number keeps getting repeated; Ron Levy wrote it earlier. It has been false for at least the last 12 years. You can check under Table 19, "Original Airmen Certificates Approved/Disapproved by Category and Conductor" on the FAA web site:

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/

The average pass rate over the last 10 years for student pilot to private pilot is approximately 78%. (In 2005, the worst year, it was only 76% - nearly 1 in 4 students failed to pass. On average a tad more than 1 in 5 fail to pass; NOT 1 in 10.)

One thing you have to figure in the the increased proportion of students who really arent English Proficient, but that number and time line you quote does not particularly surprise me. I think we're slipping into the dumbing down phase of our existence. When I read some of the arguments in SZ, I have seen an erosion of intelligence in just the years this board has been around. We are dooooomed......

Last edited:
Well Glad to share the NorCal airspace with you Pilot-- congratulations.
Where did you divert to ??
Looking forward to the story !!

I think we're slipping into the dumbing down phase of our existence. When I read some of the arguments in SZ, I have seen an erosion of intelligence in just the years this board has been around. We are dooooomed......

Is it that? Or are examiners less likely now to let *anything*, even the slightest mis-step slide? I'm not arguing that's the case, mind you, I'm just asking the question.

20 years ago FAA examiners probably didn't have to worry nearly as much about getting publicly flogged if one of the pilots they signed off on had a mis-step, but now... throw new regs, added layers of bureaucracy and more intense overwatch by TSA and other agencies into the mix? I gotta wonder.

Is it that? Or are examiners less likely now to let *anything*, even the slightest mis-step slide? I'm not arguing that's the case, mind you, I'm just asking the question.

20 years ago FAA examiners probably didn't have to worry nearly as much about getting publicly flogged if one of the pilots they signed off on had a mis-step, but now... throw new regs, added layers of bureaucracy and more intense overwatch by TSA and other agencies into the mix? I gotta wonder.

Not from what I'm hearing. Standard seems to have remained the same, "They're safe enough". People still screw up, people still get Mulligans...

congrats I rember that day (20 yrs ago) like it was yesterday again congrats!

IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS, RIGHT?

Though he did not spell "Kimberly" the right way - which I didn't see until I got home - I think it is VERY nice this DPE makes a "certificate" for new pilots (like something you could frame, signed by him). He gives all pilots this - in addition to their "boring" black and white temporary airman certificate.

I am too tired to stay up one minute longer, but just to prove I really did become a pilot (sorry David and Doc, I win):

6093639097_ccb428582e_z.jpg

Last edited:

The notion that new private pilots think they know everything is riddiculous. I told my DPE that I chose to involve myself in aviation since each flight was different and I was always learning something new . . . my little piece of black and white paper will not make the flight to 6Y9 any less enjoyable . . . . how can you turn something so positive into a negative thought?

My trip to 6Y9 is now BETTER than it could have ever been if I did not take or pass the checkride. Mainly because it is my first fly-in and I will be going as a PILOT and not just a student pilot. So cool.

What can I do to make your ride more enjoyable?

Re: IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS, RIGHT?

Though he did not spell "Kimberly" the right way - which I didn't see until I got home - I think it is VERY nice this DPE makes a "certificate" for new pilots (like something you could frame, signed by him). He gives all pilots this - in addition to their "boring" black and white temporary airman certificate.

I am too tired to stay up one minute longer, but just to prove I really did become a pilot (sorry David and Doc, I win):

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You should be receiving a package in the mail some time next week. I send it with sincere pleasure and the very best of flying wishes!

Doc

Last edited:
Congrats. That is great to hear. Have fun using your license to learn!

I am too tired to stay up one minute longer, but just to prove I really did become a pilot (sorry David and Doc, I win

:thumbsup: CONGRATS!!!!

130lbs!!:yikes::yikes::yikes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
:D:D So the answer is that there are no time constraints put on the checkride per the PTS. I'm glad I finally looked that up. The DPE who tried to relay that info to me was a goof ball and it was at the end of my MEI ride. He was worried it was only gonna be .7 so we did a go-around and and he had me do one more manuver. Never had the care or reason to go look that up till now, but you guys would also be right in that there are no time limits.

Cool, now when I renew my CFI---- wait, I never did :nono::yesnod:

* * * which brings to mind a parallel story: A friend came up north from So. Carolina to train and get her ASES rating, already having ASEL, COMM, and IR. I photographed her final lesson and then her check ride. The Examiner had come up from NH. I watched, as best possible from my ground spot, her maneuvers. Eventually, she came back, landed, stepped(??) to the float. She later said that at that particular point she was expecting the examiner to have her do other stuff; and when she said "What's next?", he calmly replied, "That's it, we're done." As she told the story she told me, "I felt like saying, 'Hey, for $275 I expect more than 25 minutes of your time.'" That probably bears out the adage that the examiner knows pretty quickly into the candidate's flight whether or not he/she knows the "stuff."

For benefit of Ron Levy, Doctor Bruce, and others who have been around here -- and the Red Board -- that long, it was Carole, from Greenville-Spartanburg. I miss seeing her around "these parts."

HR

Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

John

* * * which brings to mind a parallel story: A friend came up north from So. Carolina to train and get her ASES rating, already having ASEL, COMM, and IR. I photographed her final lesson and then her check ride. The Examiner had come up from NH. I watched, as best possible from my ground spot, her maneuvers. Eventually, she came back, landed, stepped(??) to the float. She later said that at that particular point she was expecting the examiner to have her do other stuff; and when she said "What's next?", he calmly replied, "That's it, we're done." As she told the story she told me, "I felt like saying, 'Hey, for $275 I expect more than 25 minutes of your time.'" That probably bears out the adage that the examiner knows pretty quickly into the candidate's flight whether or not he/she knows the "stuff."

For benefit of Ron Levy, Doctor Bruce, and others who have been around here -- and the Red Board -- that long, it was Carole, from Greenville-Spartanburg. I miss seeing her around "these parts."

HR

Carole with the Comanche? We had lunch down here years ago.

Back