MAJOR UPDATE - !

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
OH MY GOSH.

If the most recent email from my CFI says what I think it says:

The DPE will give me the checkride on Sunday, August 28th!!!

The email also says we need to meet before the checkride on the following days (didn't specify flying, so this might be a paperwork thing):

Saturday
Sunday
Mid-Week
Plus one solo

I am not signed off yet but I did do the IACRA first part where you get an FTN number.

Is this the greatest news or what?! Just in time for the 6Y9 Fly-In too.

I know, right? Who on Earth authorized this???

I need to HUNKER DOWN. This is for reals.

Excellent. Most of that time will be spent in oral & flight prep. You've got an hour or two of paperwork tops, most of that is reviewing both your and the planes logs to make sure everything is squared away.

Last edited:
Excellent. Most of that time will be spent in flight prep. You've got an hour or two of paperwork tops, most of that is reviewing both your and the planes logs to make sure everything is squared away.

Thanks, Henning. I was wondering what all the meetings were about. Ground stuff if we have IFR Sat morning probably.

Kimberly

Remember to bring cash unless the DE accepts checks, gold bearer bonds, first-born child, etc....

Awesome. I remember those days. :)

I have none of those things. But I can get cash. Need to find out what he charges.

I've been hearing stupid numbers like $400:eek: I think I paid $100 for all of mine except my Com SEL/SES checkride where he gave me 2 for 1 because I fixed the plane during the check ride.

OUTSTANDING! You were on edge about the check ride date being set up, but it sounded like there was plenty of time for it to happen.

Think of it! You're going to be a certificated pilot before labor day!

Doc

I've been hearing stupid numbers like $400:eek: I think I paid $100 for all of mine except my Com SEL/SES checkride where he gave me 2 for 1 because I fixed the plane during the check ride.
:rofl:
I can only hope that the fix involved a Swiss army knife and / or duct tape.

Oh, and good luck Kimberly - not that you will need it.

Last edited:
I hate to throw a wet blanket on the price commments, but.....

I've been told that the checkride is an all day thing. Is $100 a day really enough money? At a CFI's rate wouldn't a day's rate be more like $320?

Doc

I've been told that the checkride is an all day thing. Is $100 a day really enough money? At a CFI's rate wouldn't a day's rate be more like $320?

Doc

All day? What the heck are they doing? Mine was a two hour oral followed by an hour or so in the air. Total, about three hours.

Doc

1-1.5 oral 1.5 check ride. Someone is selling you a line of crap.

:rofl:
I can only hope that the fix involved a Swiss army knife and / or duct tape.

Oh, and good luck Kimberly - not that you will need it.

Actually it was a Leatherman and a cotter pin that was in my pocket (I was working as an aircraft mechanic at the time so there were always a few pins in with my change.) We were floating on Lake Mojave doing the runup for the check ride and I wasn't getting any prop action in the Lake Bucaneer. DE (owns the plane) says "Lets take it back to the airport" and I said, "Let me take a quick look make sure there isn't a big problem" so I popped up and opened the side panel and right there the prop linkage was hanging free at the linkage. The pin had deteriorated and the linkage cap came loose allowing it to fall off. I just put it on, set the ball cap, slid a new pin in and we were good to go. That was over 20 years ago. When I showed up to do my MES last summer, Jo Sr walks in and says, "Hey, you're the guy that fixed the plane on the checkride." "Yep"

Good luck Kimberly.

Just remember these three words

Relax

Relax

Relax

Good luck Kim! although we all know you'll do just fine.

Exciting news! Good luck Kimberly. In So Cal last month, my checkride cost $500. As I was out the door, in the truck, I thought it might be a good idea to bring a check and went in to get one. Great idea because if I didn't, I would have been SOL. He preferred cash (of course) and I felt bad about it, but it ended up not being a big deal. In the future, I will definitely bring cash.

Doc

It's a half day typically. An hour or two on the oral, an hour to 1.5 in the plane, another .5-1 on miscellaneous pleasantries and paperwork and possible lunch.

$500!!

$300 is the norm

Congrats! I think you'll do great. Just know that you are well prepared and relax! I goofed a few things at the beginning of the flight test portion just because I was anxious. Dropped my stopwatch, didn't notice my gyro was drifting until it was almost too late etc... Fortunately the DPE did not fail me :)

Considering she's in Marin, it wouldn't surprise me if it cost $750 and a 4 star lunch...:yikes:

And don't answer questions you aren't asked!

Yep, answer the question asked and shut up. Also when there is something you're not sure of (and he will drill on subject lines getting more obscure down the line, if you can do the first three in a subject, you're good), do not guess or BS it. You should have the reference to every question he asks right there with you. "I'm not sure I would have to look that up in <insert reference here>" is a good answer. One of the things they are trying to find out is if you know where to find information. Openly admitting to a lack of knowledge is also good (so long as it's not "critical" knowledge) as it shows a "Proper Attitude".

Congratulations! FWIW mine was $300 in 2006 (Orlando, FL). I paid by check with no comment or problem. But find out what the DPE wants.

John

When I took my private pilot checkride I was 17. I was so excited about it, but I really freaked out when I learned there would be an "oral" exam and the DPE was a guy. Talk about going WTF as a kid.

.... Little has changed since then.

Why can't they just say let's go over the... see if you know your **** part and then we'll go fly! Much less emotionally tragic for teens!!!

Openly admitting to a lack of knowledge is also good (so long as it's not "critical" knowledge) as it shows a "Proper Attitude".

My answer to a few of my DPE's more obscure questions was "I don't know the answer to that" and her reply "Fair enough"

In another instance I was shown an MTR on the chart and asked "what is this?" I couldn't remember exactly so I just replied that I knew it was either for jets or IFR traffic so I would avoid flying on it... she was satisfied with that.

My answer to a few of my DPE's more obscure questions was "I don't know the answer to that" and her reply "Fair enough"

In another instance I was shown an MTR on the chart and asked "what is this?" I couldn't remember exactly so I just replied that I knew it was either for jets or IFR traffic so I would avoid flying on it... she was satisfied with that.

Some questions are asked with the intent of having the applicant demonstrate they are proficient in locating the information with the FARs, Chart Legend, or other information sources they have with them. Sometimes giving an answer that's kinda made up can be a strike against your three strikes..... It all depends on what the DPE is wanting at that moment. Some DPEs are real sticklers for knowing what is on the chart and some are real sticklers for knowing what everything is on the plane.

I used to tell my students to remember they will not know the answer to every question the DPE will ask.... but, that's part of the test too :)

$500 here in SD for checkrides and the stupid FSDO doesn't want to do any other than the initial CFI

I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

Actually it was a Leatherman and a cotter pin that was in my pocket (I was working as an aircraft mechanic at the time so there were always a few pins in with my change.) We were floating on Lake Mojave doing the runup for the check ride and I wasn't getting any prop action in the Lake Bucaneer. DE (owns the plane) says "Lets take it back to the airport" and I said, "Let me take a quick look make sure there isn't a big problem" so I popped up and opened the side panel and right there the prop linkage was hanging free at the linkage. The pin had deteriorated and the linkage cap came loose allowing it to fall off. I just put it on, set the ball cap, slid a new pin in and we were good to go. That was over 20 years ago. When I showed up to do my MES last summer, Jo Sr walks in and says, "Hey, you're the guy that fixed the plane on the checkride." "Yep"

Henning. Gotta tell ya. You have the coolest effing stories of anybody. Sounds like a book in the making. :yesnod:

Hey Kim.... this is what the PTS says for your short field stuff....

Touches down at or within 200 feet (60 meters) beyond a specified
point, with no side drift, minimum float and with the airplane's
longitudinal axis aligned with and over the runway center/landing​
path.

Not sure why I thought it was 500 LOL. Been a while :D

Still, 200ft is easy when you think about the plane being what... 20 feet long. Pizza Cake, and you'll knock 'em dead for sure :wink2:

Back