MAJOR UPDATE - !

Thanks, B. I sure hope so. I somehow regret posting it here that I am taking my checkride on August 28th (which has now been confirmed)..... because then if I fail I will have to post about it too.

That too would you survive, but I never enjoyed pessimism. I settled on being a cynical optimistic pragmatist. I go with the flow, do what I have to do, don't expect much and enjoy the little things I do get. I find it leads to a pleasant life for me.

Captain Levy’s Checkride Advice

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you must know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?

Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

17. Relax

18. It’s a test of your flying skill, not your knowledge of PTS minutiae. Make sure you know which maneuver the examiner wants done, and confirm the details if necessary – before you start the maneuver. Does s/he want stalls taken all the way to the break or just to the buffet or “first sign of impending stall”? Is that “spot landing” s/he asked for the “power-off 180-degree accuracy approach and landing” no more than 200 feet beyond the spot or the “short-field approach and landing” which allows use of power but no more than 100 feet beyond the spot?

19. Relax

20. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

21. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

I vaguely recall someone posting a pre-check ride list from someone about relaxing.

BTW, Kimberly, you'll do fine. :)

Thanks, dude.

However, will you people please just realize I may or may not be able to relax? Nobody relaxes on a checkride.

Good Luck!

IIRC my checkride was $300 a few months ago. Bring cash, not all examiners take checks. Apparently when some people fail, they cancel the check before the examiner can cash it.

Relax before the test. Due to weather, I split the oral and practical, which REALLY helped. And since I took my test away from my home airport, I got a nice x-country in before the test to relax. If you have the option, I HIGHLY recommend flying to the examiner. You loose some home-field advantage, but I think its worth it.

And IF you fail........or know you botched a maneuver. Take a deep breath, and unless the examiner wants to return to the airport, finish out the practical test. People have bad days, its not the end of the world.

Thanks, Chris.

I actually HAVE TO fly to the checkride. I fly 18nm North from O69 to KSTS. This is cool for two reasons:

1 ) I will have already flown the plane. This helps me tremendously. No more wondering how my flying is, or how the weather is.

2 ) If I get my PPL, the flight back to O69 will be my first flight as a private pilot!!!

Thanks, dude.

However, will you people please just realize I may or may not be able to relax? Nobody relaxes on a checkride.

You'd be surprised. When I took my Multi-engine add-on ride, my DPE was a guy in his 70's, who looks 50 and played tennis every day.

The man was awesome. He was such an easy guy to talk to. We spent an hour or two on my oral part. It wasnt a "drill you" kind of thing. It was just a long casual conversation. He was able to really make me feel at peace I guess. It felt like I was talking with a friend about flying, not with a guy who is judging every word I say.

The flying was no different. I can honestly say, I felt really relaxed for that checkride.

The only "negative" thing he really had to say was when I came in way too low for a single engine approach, and all he said was "well we made it. Its funny though, EVERYONE seems to come in low. You'd think someone would come in high once" haha.

I won't tell you about my PPL checkride (a long time ago) during which the trim cable broke and fouled in the rigging. Trimmed for slow flight. Took all the strength I had to get the nose down with any power at all.

My DPE was an incredible lady who was a pioneer and legend in GA in the area. She wore a dress all the time, even while flying. She smiled sweetly as she said, "If you can land us safely, I'm sure we can find another plane to finish this checkride." And we did.

Good luck!

That is an awesome story. Good job on the broken cable too. I'm sure she was impressed.

Thanks, dude.

I actually started having fun less than half way through, I had a good DE, Betty Faux who did my multi ride in my Travelair, she was extremely cool. She was a WWII WASP ferry pilot with a logbook that make you cry with envy.

Tell you what, there's a sign that you've passed in their mind and that is when they go into teaching mode. In order do become a DE you have to be a very qualified pilot and instructor. It is not an easy process to become a DE. For the most part, the FSDOs do a good job of selecting them. Some FSDOs it's more political and/or varied selection criteria than others.

Best advice on this thread.

My private checkride was about 13 years ago but I remember my oral being about 10 minutes long (maybe 15 min.) and it was out for the practical test which lasted about 1.5. The oral was a few questions about obscure chart information and kind of an open ended question or two about "tell me how the FARs work." When I nailed all that and the log books were organized and annotated, he blew it off and said "Let's go fly."

Kimberly, you're obviously a fly-geek like the rest of us - you'll do fine.

I didn't even know what a plane WAS in January and now I'm a fly geek? How did I get promoted so quickly? I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as you guys. But honorary fly geek, perhaps.

I think you and eMKay will beat me; I'm aiming for mid-September or so. CFI switcharoo may slow things down.

Good luck!

Thanks, and remember - this is not a race. Many people have told me that if I had done all of my training in another flight school, I would have been finished months ago. It is what it is. When you can see the end of the tunnel it makes everything better.

Thanks, Chris.

2 ) If I get my PPL, the flight back to O69 will be my first flight as a private pilot!!!

BTW, this is the most AWESOME feeling in the world. I climbed up high, in the nice cool calm air....... listed to the local ATC...... and just cruised all the way back. (With this huge stupid grin on my face :D)

You'll have that grin too.... trust me.

Tell you what, there's a sign that you've passed in their mind and that is when they go into teaching mode.

+1
My DE started teaching half way through the oral. Picked something I was weak on, and went through a thorough explanation. Got into the.... "well, if you go on for IFR, commercial, etc..... this is what you want to do"

Same with the end of the practical. Mine was a great teacher.

Some of us hope so.

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Just don't show up to the GRR airport in pink pajama pants, tucked into your cowboy boots, with white suspenders, like you said you would do. Then we shall see what happens.

Last edited:
Just don't shup up to the GRR airport in pink pajama pants, tucked into your cowboy boots, with white suspenders, like you said you would do. Then we shall see what happens.

I don't have pink pajama pants. I have pink softball pants.

I hate to throw a wet blanket on the price commments, but.....

I've been told that the checkride is an all day thing. Is $100 a day really enough money? At a CFI's rate wouldn't a day's rate be more like $320?

Doc

I spent an hour on the ground and about an hour in the air. Add in some paperwork and whatnot, and we were at about 3 hours. Paid $250. This was about 6 weeks ago.

Congratulations! I'll bet you make 1000 posts by then. What does the avatar change to then. Take off or something like that. How appropriate!

After, you should fly to some place interesting - like Montana?:D

The best advice I can offer: Be the best pilot you can be. ;)

You know all that entails now, or the instructor wouldn't have sent ya.

You know it starts long before the key turns, and doesn't end when the aircraft is tied down.

You know it includes using all your knowledge and skills (and maybe once in a while a little luck and more study!) to safely transport around other people in the sky.

And by the time the checkride is over, you'll know if you were a pilot that day or not. You won't need the DPE to tell you.

Good luck and do it right. You know how. Make it happen.

And if for some reason you have a bad day, the only penalty is that you have to go fly some more and have to wait to carry passengers until you go have a good day. Not much of a penalty. ;)

I think you'll do it. Have a great checkride!

That is an awesome story. Good job on the broken cable too. I'm sure she was impressed.

I was the one impressed. She managed to climb up on the wing of a Warrior and sit down in the right seat in a dress, all the while dripping "class." Twice. Poise. Grace. Kindness. What a DPE!!

Maybelle Fletcher was her name. Google her. Inspirational.

Good luck and . . . . relax. :wink2:

Just don't shup up to the GRR airport in pink pajama pants, tucked into your cowboy boots, with white suspenders, like you said you would do. Then we shall see what happens.

Uh oh. This exchange just propelled this topic into one of those thirty page threads!! :mad2:

I took my PP check ride in Santa fe ,nm. And when I flew home to alpine (350nm). It was a really great X/C. I was reviewing my logbook the other day. And at the top of that page I wrote in RED ink : First flight as private pilot. And filled in bunch of extra info - like stuff I saw and the weather etc.
Someone told me long ago that when you're old and sitting on your porch doing the " I remember when" thing that anecdotal notes in the logbook are great. And even though I'm not quite there yet, I have found that it is fun to be able to read entry's and remember different events as opposed to just where and what time each flight is.
So, Kim, if you aren't writing extra bits of info in your book just consider that you can.

Good Luck Kilo-Alpha. It's good to be rested for the event.

Have fun! Do your prep and you'll do Ok- no need for luck because, as you noted, you'll make your own.

Good luck Kimberly. Break a wing (as the Thespians would say).

Maybe you'll luck out like I did and get a bonus rating for your checkride. I went in for an IR checkride (its what I applied for on IACRA) and I got an IR and a Commercial back in the mail. I still haven't tried to sort it out with the FAA. I don't think their phone tree has an option for unexpected certificates or ratings.

$500!!

$300 is the norm

Depends on where you are.

In the San Diego area and much of SoCal, $500 is indeed the norm as someone already posted.

I have seen quite a variation around the country.

I paid $300 for my PPL in New England back in 2006.

I paid $400 for my ME, also in New England.

IR, Commercial....$500 each in SoCal.

...I don't know everything yet, and actually, I never really will know "everything." Always something to work on.
Sounds like the sign of a good pilot to me. That's the attitude I want every pilot I fly with to have. You get your ticket and I'll fly with you any time.

Our local glider DPE has been told by FSDO that he is not charging enough! His price varies depending on the rating. His charge for a CFI renewal was about $150, he needs to compete with the FIRC online costs.

Maybe you'll luck out like I did and get a bonus rating for your checkride. I went in for an IR checkride (its what I applied for on IACRA) and I got an IR and a Commercial back in the mail. I still haven't tried to sort it out with the FAA. I don't think their phone tree has an option for unexpected certificates or ratings.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening!

What'd your instructor say? Something tells me that they'd STILL hang you out to dry if you exercised the privileges of the Commercial rating...

Back