Love At First Sight

I don't remember if you said the plane has glass already or not.

Seems like it could be done, though it might be a little "spendy" in a built plane. Skyview or G3X in the front, add a rear seat instrument panel (which maybe a challenge, but looks "do-able", stuff a matching EFIS screen back there. Either Dynon or Garmin will control a remote transponder and comm radio, like an Icom or their own.

For that matter, maybe a single G3X or Skyview in the back, with an A210 in the front. Front seater manages the radio with the front panel controls, and the rear seater can use the EFIS. If there's no glass now it would be an unusual setup if there's an EFIS in the back seat only... but why not?

Garmin, Icom, Dynon... to name three.

...Advanced Flight Systems... to add another.

What Jay wants to do is possible, and would pretty neat, actually. Set up a 'Radio Man' station in the back seat a la WWII attack planes. Put the radio stack in the rear, with the moving map displays shown up front.

Definitely doable.

ICOM 210 hooked to the GPS data link. If the airspeed and altimeter are in the far left or right corner of the instrument panel they are easy to see from the back. Don't need much more than that. The visibility from the back seat is very good. I've got more backseat time in the 8 doing check outs than in the front. You only need brakes to stop so don't go to a lot of trouble to put brake pedals in the back. Don

On a different subject WRT this purchase, I realized that...

...We just bought an airplane we've never seen...

...on the judgment of a man we've never met...

...and it's been flown to a place we've never been...

Further, we bought it partially with money from a bank we've never set foot in, in a different state. We won't actually even see it, until at least June 16th.

Gotta love aviation! lol

Further, we bought it partially with money from a bank we've never set foot in, in a different state. We won't actually even see it, until at least June 16th.

Gotta love aviation! lol

And now you're yearning for features from a side by side airplane.

With modern electronics, how tough could it be to have a remote tuner? Hell, why not a wireless remote control, just like the radios in modern automobiles?

Not hard at all, it'll just take money. :D

And now you're yearning for features from a side by side airplane.

You say that like it's a bad thing? :rolleyes:

Every plane is a compromise. If technology can eliminate one of them, that's always a good thing. There is no reason we can't set up the back cockpit like a RIO station.

Just don't call me "Goose" when Mary's up-front. :D

Can those remote mounted radios, like the Dynon SV-COM-C25 be controlled by more than one control panel? I'm guessing yes but not sure how you would go about it. For example I know that in a Garmin G1000, both the PFD and MFD have freq and vol controls, but have no idea how it's integrated (via the CAN bus is my guess). And of course there's potentially also an intercom control issue, although that could be an non-issue if we're only talking 1 com radio.

Gotta love aviation! lol

I'm convinced that you're just an Avatar in the Matrix:rofl:

Congrats. I had to catch up with the thread from pg3. I was silently rooting for you. I did something similar with my car (birthday present for me). It's a different feeling once you lay hands on it.

Garmin, Icom, Dynon... to name three.

...Advanced Flight Systems... to add another.

What Jay wants to do is possible, and would pretty neat, actually. Set up a 'Radio Man' station in the back seat a la WWII attack planes. Put the radio stack in the rear, with the moving map displays shown up front.

Definitely doable.
Perfect!

One thing I would really like to see -- and maybe this exists? -- is some way to remotely tune radios. We are so used to flying 2-pilot ops, with the right seater in charge of navigation and setting up the radios, that it's going to be a PIA to go back to the pilot doing everything.
Yardstick with a wad of duct tape on the end.

Jay, remote radios would be easy, but has anyone made them yet?

They were old when I was wrenching on Lockheed Electras in the early '60s. Collins, Sperry, RCA, and a few others, but you had best have an extra 150# or so of useful load to haul them around :no:

Jim

Just because I love looking at this plane... :D

y3yhure5.jpg

Gotta love aviation! lol

Spoken like a man that just bought stocks from a broker on margin.

Introducing "Amelia", N14EG.

ety9eheg.jpg

She's our gorgeous RV-8A, and she's safely on the ground in Crystal, MN, after an epic, 6.5 hour "first flight" cross-country from the seller's 'drome in Vermont.

Why MN, when we are in TX? We're having a few mods made to her, including:

- Quick-adjust front rudder pedals
- Back cockpit rudder pedals
- Back cockpit throttle

In a week or so, Tom will fly her down to the island, and we will FINALLY get to see our beautiful little wildcat... :D

I note the flaps are down... Did you require armed intervention?

You say that like it's a bad thing? :rolleyes:

Every plane is a compromise. If technology can eliminate one of them, that's always a good thing. There is no reason we can't set up the back cockpit like a RIO station.

Just don't call me "Goose" when Mary's up-front. :D

Oh no - you're "Goose" from now on, period. Can a moderator modify his profile?

Last edited:
Hmmm, just mind your head on the canopy if you please.

And whenever they fly Amelia back to the home airport the FBO will come on the air and say "Talk to me, Goose!"

"That's a negative, Gooseneck, the pattern is full" does have a nice ring to it, eh?

Nice bird, Jay! When do we get to see the inside?

Spoken like a man that just bought stocks from a broker on margin.

Yeah, that's a similar feeling.

Luckily, this is aviation, not stocks. The "charlatans-to-good-guys" ratio is far better in aviation.

You mean it's not on the RV-8 cleanup checklist 'flaps up'...you know the one where you tie up the taxiway at a busy intersection:rofl:

You will almost always see the -8s parked with the flaps down. It makes getting up on the wing easier.

All RV's are like that. The flaps aren't designed to be used as a step, so it's easier to just leave them down on the ground.

Back