Love At First Sight

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Oh, jeez, I'm a mess. I'm afraid I've fallen head over heels in love with the most beautiful aircraft I've ever seen.

Well, technically I haven't actually "seen" it, but -- thanks to the wonders of the internet -- I have gone over 192 high-resolution photos with my RV-8A guru, one rivet at a time.

Even he, a guy who has built 30+ RVs, has 3000+ hours in-type, and makes his living doing RV transition training, allows that "this is a good one".

Coming from a reserved Minnesotan who tries to dash my hopes at every opportunity, and is actively opposed to hyperbole, that's the equivalent of a verbal cartwheel. :D

I can't sleep. I'm dreaming about overhead breaks. I'm struggling to remain coldly detached -- and failing miserably. I remember this feeling well, but I haven't felt it since the first time I saw my wife, some 36 years ago.

The prebuy inspection is in 12 days. :D

Good luck. Hopefully the third time's a charm and you don't strike out.

I know you don't want to jinx anything, but... :needpics:

I know you don't want to jinx anything, but... :needpics:

Just one, for now. :)

yru9e6a2.jpg

TWELVE DAYS.......!!???

If it is a good one it will be gone by then. Better get up there tomorrow morning with your checkbook.

TWELVE DAYS.......!!???

If it is a good one it will be gone by then. Better get up there tomorrow morning with your checkbook.

We've got exclusivity guaranteed until after the pre-buy. The plane is in an extremely remote location, and that's the soonest everyone's schedule meshes.

I'm crazy, not stupid. :D

Oh, jeez, I'm a mess. I'm afraid I've fallen head over heels in love with the most beautiful aircraft I've ever seen.

Well, technically I haven't actually "seen" it, but -- thanks to the wonders of the internet -- I have gone over 192 high-resolution photos with my RV-8A guru, one rivet at a time.

Even he, a guy who has built 30+ RVs, has 3000+ hours in-type, and makes his living doing RV transition training, allows that "this is a good one".

Coming from a reserved Minnesotan who tries to dash my hopes at every opportunity, and is actively opposed to hyperbole, that's the equivalent of a verbal cartwheel. :D

I can't sleep. I'm dreaming about overhead breaks. I'm struggling to remain coldly detached -- and failing miserably. I remember this feeling well, but I haven't felt it since the first time I saw my wife, some 36 years ago.

The prebuy inspection is in 12 days. :D

Whoa, you got it bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looks nice. :yes:

Good things are worth the wait. ;)

Last edited:
Red cars are faster, so I suppose that applies to airplanes.

Of course, red airplanes fade faster in the sun...

How could anybody possibly be that excited about a nose-dragger?

Twelve Days of the RV

On the first Day of waiting my true love gave to me,
60 gallons of 100LL to fill up the RV

On the second day of waiting, my true love gave me
Two wig-wag lights
and 60 gallons of 100LL to fill up the RV

On the third day of waiting, my true love gave to me
a 3 point landing
Two wig-wag lights
and 60 gallons of 100LL to fill up the RV

On the fourth day of waiting, my true love gave to me
a 4 probe EGT/CHT engine monitoring system
a 3 point landing
Two wig-wag lights
and 60-gallons of 100LL to fill up the RV

On the 5th day of waiting, my true love gave to me
Five overhead breaks....

a 3 point landing
Two wig-wag lights

On the sixth day of waiting, ATC gave to me
6 vectors to final
FIVE OVERHEAD BREAKS....
a 3 point landing
Two wig-wag lights

On the 7th day of waitiing, my hanger buds gave to me
7 jealous pilots
6 vectors to final
FIVE OVERHEAD BREAKS....
a 3 point landing
Two wig-wag lights

(out of ideas for th rest... feel free to finish for me)

http://youtu.be/obGjx8Hry3M

My tandem-seater should be flying by mid-June, but things are different here. I've owned it since 197X and doubt if the Missus has seen it twice.

Heh. Mary has compromised on tandem seating. I have compromised on the nose wheel.

I can't remember the last time I flew solo. :D

My tandem-seater should be flying by mid-June, but things are different here. I've owned it since 197X and doubt if the Missus has seen it twice.

If we buy this plane, it's first stop will be the shop, where it will get the quick-adjustable rudder pedals that the builder saw no reason to install, but that we will need for both Mary and I to fly it.

She will fly it as much as me, so she's got to be comfortable in it. That means a nosewheel.

During the years the L2 has been in rebuild, some bastard has snuck in and shrunk the entry door. Not sure how to handle that problem without a fork-lift.

During the years the L2 has been in rebuild, some bastard has snuck in and shrunk the entry door. Not sure how to handle that problem without a fork-lift.

Juice purge. Mary and I did it for 7 days, and I lost 8 pounds. Felt great, was never hungry.

can't see in the photo, but it looks like the tailwheel is perched on a 55gal drum for some reason?

Did you do a prebuy on your wife??

Sure, but it didn't take me long to figure out I wanted to keep her before she realized what she was getting into. ;)

I have a buddy who managed to stall it for 12, but 9 is impressive.

Well, everyone in our families was divorced, except for my parents. Upon seeing this abysmal marriage record, we wanted to be cautious. (We lived together the last two years of dating.)

I guess it worked. We will be married 28 years next month.
:D

Better to have been married 25 years wishing it was 30 than to be married 5 years wishing it was 0. Kinda like flying.

Good thing you acted fast! :wink2: Well played!

Monday was 3 years since our first date, and Tuesday was 2 years since I proposed. August will be 2 years since we got married and October will be 1 year since baby was born.

We don't waste time. ;)

Back