Looking for current DC pilots

Anthony LoCurto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
"Doc" LoCurto
Hey guys! I’m wrapping up my IR at KGAI with Pilot in Training, and I am relatively new to the local aviation community since I’ve been in the DC area for about a year.

Reason for the post is I’m starting to get more serious about purchasing my first aircraft. Mooney M20’s are at the top of my list for their performance and fuel burn, but I’ve never flown in one, or even sat in one. I’m also considering Bonanzas and Commanders, again never sat in them. Are there any pilots (hopefully a Mooney owner) on this forum in the DC area that would be willing to let me sit in the cockpit or tag along for flight (happy to share expenses!).

I might be able to put you in touch with a Mooney guy at Freeway.

Have you ever sat in a sports car? That’s what it’s going to be like to sit in a Mooney.

There is a good Mooney mechanic at GAI, who owns an M20J (201). My plane (Mooney M29K 252) is at his shop for the annual right now.

Have you ever sat in a sports car? That’s what it’s going to be like to sit in a Mooney.
Provided you’re 6’2” or better lol

I enjoyed flying in a Mooney the only time that I did.

It wasn't the low seating that got me, it was the rudder pedals were way out there and with a 29" inseam my face was in the panel. Loved the harmony of the controls though.

There are rudder pedal extensions for Mooneys.

I have driven sports/sporty cars pretty much all my life. I prefer the sitting position in my Mooney.

Seventeen year owner of a 201, so I'm slightly biased.

Thanks for your replies! Sports car position doesn't bother me typically but I haven't tried to land a sports car lol I suppose it would just take training to learn the new sight position though.

I am fairly short for a pilot at 5'10" so maybe I'll need those extensions, but after reading some other posts it seems manageable.

@GeorgeC if your contact at Freeway would be willing to meet and talk about his plane I would be interested!

There are rudder pedal extensions for Mooneys.

I have driven sports/sporty cars pretty much all my life. I prefer the sitting position in my Mooney.
When I considered a Mooney it would have been with a partner (a lovely Ovation) and he was tall so putting rudder pedal extensions on (and off and on) was not really an option. Buddy has a 231 and loves it but he’s in Texas and goes high on routine long trips.

Thanks for your replies! Sports car position doesn't bother me typically but I haven't tried to land a sports car lol I suppose it would just take training to learn the new sight position though.

I am fairly short for a pilot at 5'10" so maybe I'll need those extensions, but after reading some other posts it seems manageable.

@GeorgeC if your contact at Freeway would be willing to meet and talk about his plane I would be interested!
I have owned Mooneys for 30 Years (must be old) 201 and Ovation . Im 5'10 and never felt any need for extensions

Back