Looking for a plane that is easy to physically climb into

Yooper Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Yooper Flyer
I am a student pilot that is looking for a plane that is easy to physically enter. My wife has had both knees replaced and as I progress through training I am starting to think about buying a plane that we could both enjoy. My mission would be traveling back and forth across lake Michigan (Wisconsin to Michigan), with 2-3 trips per year to a random location with at least 1 from Wisconsin to Denver.
Plane would ideally carry 500lbs of people and gear and if possible with an occasional guest or two or extra luggage.

I have several models in mind from my research, however I would like an actual pilots opinion as I seem to have trouble finding information on ease of entry into a plane.

I’m off to the Yoop tomorrow, Baraga Co, driving. When I fly up it’s usually, SAW, OGM, sometimes CMX. What airport are you near? 0DAD9D82-E257-4C76-9F66-D309767983A1.jpeg

My plane is a 76 Commander 112, with an IO-390. I’m a little bogged down in the annual right now, but do see light through the tunnel.

Yep, Cardinals not only sit low, but they have huge doors.

Agree with the Cardinal. Good flying plane as well

You can see the ground air-conditioning system in action here.

I can roll up to the cockpit in a chair with the door open like this and work under the instrument panel. Obviously better if taking out seats and laying on the flat floor.

upload_2021-10-28_7-56-11.png

Cardinal. My dad was into his 80's, with two artificial knees, and he was able to get in without much trouble. He only glanced at the club 172 and said he didn't think that would work.

When it comes to ease of entry, its a one-dog race. Cessna Cardinal.

I am really sorry to hear that her knees are an issue. I'm 80, have two and a fused back. My rides are a Citabria and an open cockpit 1929 biplane. The Citabria is a little hard because I can't bend or twist the back.

My first airplane was a fixed gear Cardinal and agree with all the reviews that say it is the easiest airplane to get in and out of. Make sure you learn about the issues with the earliest models.

I’m off to the Yoop tomorrow, Baraga Co, driving. When I fly up it’s usually, SAW, OGM, sometimes CMX. What airport are you near? View attachment 101283

My plane is a 76 Commander 112, with an IO-390. I’m a little bogged down in the annual right now, but do see light through the tunnel.
kmnm is the closest. That is where I am taking my training as well. Travel safe and enjoy!!!

Thank you all for the feedback. The cardinal was the plane I had identified in my research as well. Now I just need to finish training and find something worth buying!

Good luck, Yooper. Cessna doesn't make Cardinals anymore, and they are sometimes difficult to find, at least a good one.

182? My useful load is 1313lbs, and fuel capacity is 88 usable, so I have a ton of room to play with.

Look for a 390 powered Cardinal if they go that route.

182? My useful load is 1313lbs, and fuel capacity is 88 usable, so I have a ton of room to play with.

Look for a 390 powered Cardinal if they go that route.
I like the useful load of the 182, just wasn't sure how easy it was to get into the plane. Was assuming similar to the 172?

Piper Cherokee Six, Lance, or Saratoga. She can easily get in the back of the plane.

Single engine airplane when the main trip will be to cross Lake Michigan?

I like the useful load of the 182, just wasn't sure how easy it was to get into the plane. Was assuming similar to the 172?
Yes very similar to entry into/out of the 172.
Single engine airplane when the main trip will be to cross Lake Michigan?
@EdFred does it. I also do it but only via climbing to 11k/12k and island hop across. There's plenty of islands with airports in the northern part of Lake Michigan, which if "yooper" is any hint, probably where the OP is :).

Although the Cardinal's getting a ton of love here (for good reason), there are others.

You didn't say whether she wants to ride up front or not. If so, then the Cardinal really is the best.

If she doesn't care about that and just wants to fall asleep in the back, then there is the whole PA-32 series, which came in lots of different versions (engine size, turbo vs non-turbo, retract and not, etc.) and were made in far greater numbers than the Cardinal. It's really easy to get in the back. You just kind of fall in.

Both of these would be suitable and insurable for a new pilot.

Oh, and the back of an A36 Bonanza or Cessna 206 would probably work too.

What's it like climbing into a C337?
Cessna-Sky-6-300x252.jpg.optimal.jpg

Similar. I think something with rear clamshell type doors would work better tbh, as long as she’s fine with riding in the back. The PA32s are pretty low slung, so that’d help

I don't find the 172 / 182 particularly easy (or hard) to get into. Definitely Cardinal (as mentioned above), or, any of the big Cherokees with the huge Chevy Suburban doors in the back. And if we're talking about cross big bodies of water, then why not go big with the Seneca! :devil:

Would a step stool help? Before I had my knees replaced, I had a simple one step plastic stool I attached a cord to. I would use it to climb up on the wing, then pull it up and put it in the baggage area. (Biplane) I am working on an IPC after 10 years of not flying instruments, and don't find the 172 that hard to enter.

There are a lot of different outcomes for knee replacements so my experience is meaningless, but I don't want people considering a knee replacement to assume it's all bad. When I was considering it, I asked on the old red board how long people had waited between the surgery and flying. The only answer I got was to expect two years. I went flying by myself in my Citabria three weeks after the first knee replacement.

As on owner of a PA32, I guess I don't find the back all that easy to get into without a step stool. I keep a stool in the plane for my Angel Flight passengers to use because they are usually a little more on the frail side.

Having pilot and co-pilot doors on the 182 is great. So is the cabin width. But compared to our on-field Cardinal, the Cardinal wins hands down for front passenger ease of entry. My wife would take her 80yr old dad in the 182. He made it up in there pretty good. The 172/182 seats are nice in that they sit high like a kitchen chair vs slung low like a sports car - so easier for older people. But that step up was the difficult part. Same for my Dad, he is shorter and even with a step stool it was not that easy. And the damn strut just seems to be in the way when loading someone with mobility issues. Definitely would not want to put someone mobility challenged in a high wing or single-door low wing back seats. However the 182 front seats push so far ahead that there is a ton of room to get back there...but that is only half the battle being up so high and how low the back seat rides.

As on owner of a PA32, I guess I don't find the back all that easy to get into without a step stool. I keep a stool in the plane for my Angel Flight passengers to use because they are usually a little more on the frail side.

Of course, no plane in this class is going to allow easy access for everyone, it all depends on what exactly their mobility limitations are. For some in the PA-32, they may be able to just slide onto that seat by the door and swing their legs around and in. Others, maybe not. I've also seen a fairly wide range of how high that door is from the ground, depending mostly on nose strut inflation and tire pressures and such I think.

Of course, no plane in this class is going to allow easy access for everyone, it all depends on what exactly their mobility limitations are. For some in the PA-32, they may be able to just slide onto that seat by the door and swing their legs around and in. Others, maybe not. I've also seen a fairly wide range of how high that door is from the ground, depending mostly on nose strut inflation and tire pressures and such I think.
I would guess the 6's are a little easier since they tend to be strut high and butt, er tail low. The Lances I don't find as easy.

Back