Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Nice to dream about, but I wouldn't do it

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I want a different type of flying job

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'd never want to fly for a living

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
How much is captain pay? I'd imagine it's pretty impossible to live on Caravan FO pay in Hawaii. Looks like a sweet gig for the kid in the video though!

I saw this as well. In the current stage of my life, both personally and professionally, I'd have to pass and keep doing what I'm doing.

On the other hand, if I were in his position and his age, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Good flying in a cool environment in a pretty neat airplane.

I've been following his videos...while it would be an awesome job but we all know would be crap pay for most of us to try and survive on this kid is doing what most are not willing to do these days...paying their dues.

When you do things like this for the experience, connections, and building a network of people you know vs getting a big of a paycheck as possible in the here and now it will pay off exponentially in the future and he will wind up with a solid career if he continues to play his cards right while everyone else is stuck in a job...Just Above Broke

That for me would be an awesome gig for a while. I have zero desire to ever be a bus driver for the majors but that sounds like fun.

How much is captain pay? I'd imagine it's pretty impossible to live on Caravan FO pay in Hawaii. Looks like a sweet gig for the kid in the video though!
According to glassdoor:

"Captain salaries at Mokulele Airlines can range from $40,437-$44,794. This estimate is based upon 2 Mokulele Airlines Captain salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. See all Captain salaries to learn how this stacks up in the market."

Need more info. Salary? Sign-on bonus? Cost of living? Hours per month? Opportunities for advancement? Cookies?

I'm only 37 but I feel ancient watching this video. I swear he looks 16.

It would be fun but you can't live in Hawaii with even captain pay. I mean you can but you'd be renting someone's room and eating ramen.

It would be fun but you can't live in Hawaii with even captain pay. I mean you can but you'd be renting someone's room and eating ramen.

I think that depends on your situation.

If you are the sole breadwinner of a family of four, with $100k in student loans, then it is tent time.

If you are a recent college grad with no family and no loans, then living on $45k is quite nice, esp if your base is not Oahu.

Nope. I'm from the islands (the other ocean though lol). I don't need to commit financially self-depracating behavior to enjoy picturesque scenery. I can understand why continentals are attracted by the proposition though. many need to go thru it to get it out of their system so to speak. I know of a former student of mine in upt took a job with my home town guard unit as a part timer and does pc-12 island hopping for chump change. They're childless so they moved from the states to have a couple years adventure down there, until she gets hired by mainline. They fully intend to return to their permanent home in Florida when that happens. The dog whistle narrative is of course, they wouldn't get caught dead raising a family back in my home town. But I ll let that slide since it's outside the scope of this thread.

I hate projecting this point, but I can't help but to suggest dynamics such as this one, are part of the problem with professional aviation. Hard to look at ones career as solvent and legitimate when people are willing to do it as a hobby, and I include my former upt student on that boat too. Again, as an island native I put my money where my mouth was almost 20 years ago and moved to the mainland, precisely because I value my financial future and solvency above getting paid in picturesque scenery instead of real wages. Though I must say, for some of the affordability problems found in some of the more jam packed population centers of this country, the proposition of being de facto working indigent in a Caribbean or Pacific island under the protectorate of federal welfare programs, is really a competitive alternative to be honest lol. If you re gonna choose to be broke by geo choices, pick the warm place i suppose....which people do, and go to Honolulu and look at their vagrancy problem. Off the charts.

It's doable. I lived on Ohahu for a while. You can get 1 bedroom to rent for $600 per month - it just won't be on the coast. As long as you avoid the tourist areas prices are manageable.

I sent a resume to this place 4 or 5 years ago for fun. During a phone interview I mention the difference between cost of living and salary. The woman asked me how much I thought I was worth. I said at least $75,000. She laughed and said don't you wish, then hung up.

My first flying job in Alaska in 1998 paid 30 bucks a flight hour. I averaged 75 hours per month. And there was a long line of people wanting that job.

If I were a young dude just starting out, I'd give it some thought. Thought about accepting a job flying helo tours there after retirement from the military. Just doesn't pay enough for the high cost of living there.

Nope. I'm from the islands (the other ocean though lol). I don't need to commit financially self-depracating behavior to enjoy picturesque scenery. I can understand why continentals are attracted by the proposition though. many need to go thru it to get it out of their system so to speak. I know of a former student of mine in upt took a job with my home town guard unit as a part timer and does pc-12 island hopping for chump change. They're childless so they moved from the states to have a couple years adventure down there, until she gets hired by mainline. They fully intend to return to their permanent home in Florida when that happens. The dog whistle narrative is of course, they wouldn't get caught dead raising a family back in my home town. But I ll let that slide since it's outside the scope of this thread.

I hate projecting this point, but I can't help but to suggest dynamics such as this one, are part of the problem with professional aviation. Hard to look at ones career as solvent and legitimate when people are willing to do it as a hobby, and I include my former upt student on that boat too. Again, as an island native I put my money where my mouth was almost 20 years ago and moved to the mainland, precisely because I value my financial future and solvency above getting paid in picturesque scenery instead of real wages. Though I must say, for some of the affordability problems found in some of the more jam packed population centers of this country, the proposition of being de facto working indigent in a Caribbean or Pacific island under the protectorate of federal welfare programs, is really a competitive alternative to be honest lol. If you re gonna choose to be broke by geo choices, pick the warm place i suppose....which people do, and go to Honolulu and look at their vagrancy problem. Off the charts.

So don't base yourself in HNL. That plus if you aren't the sole breadwinner in the family, $50k plus your spouse's income may be just fine.

A bit snobby, this: "I value my financial future and solvency above getting paid in picturesque scenery instead of real wages." So, you're saying less than $50k isn't "real wages?" The national average wage index for 2015 is $48,098.63. <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html> I guess the average salary is "fake wages."

To each his own, but there's no need to be a snob about it.

So don't base yourself in HNL. That plus if you aren't the sole breadwinner in the family, $50k plus your spouse's income may be just fine.

A bit snobby, this: "I value my financial future and solvency above getting paid in picturesque scenery instead of real wages." So, you're saying less than $50k isn't "real wages?" The national average wage index for 2015 is $48,098.63. <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html> I guess the average salary is "fake wages."

To each his own, but there's no need to be a snob about it.

I see nothing snobby about his comments. 2020 has millions of dollars worth of training, probably 2500-3000 hours in high performance aircraft and making twice what the Caravan Capt makes. I'd say it would be a step in the wrong direction for him.

I think one would really have to like the scenery and island life there to put up with that kind of pay. Personally, I lived on Okinawa for a year and really didn't get the attraction.

I hate projecting this point, but I can't help but to suggest dynamics such as this one, are part of the problem with professional aviation. Hard to look at ones career as solvent and legitimate when people are willing to do it as a hobby, and I include my former upt student on that boat too.

Don't know if that's really related. Computer software design and circuit board design are both very popular hobbies, as well as high paying careers. See also carpentry, driving, boating, cooking.

I see nothing snobby about his comments. 2020 has millions of dollars worth of training, probably 2500-3000 hours in high performance aircraft and making twice what the Caravan Capt makes. I'd say it would be a step in the wrong direction for him.

What I found snobby was the "real wages" comment as well as suggesting that that type of flying is "hobby" flying.

Look--I am a professional musician, but I do not begrudge people wanting to play instruments. I also make six figures, but I don't look down my nose at persons who do what they love for less than $50k.

Earlier in on my flying, sure, but I wouldn't take a 208 co pilot gig, so basically years back if I could go directly to Capt, or just ride as FO for a month, sure.

We have 21 year olds flying CRJs at my company and 23 year olds as captains. I'll be upgrading when I turn 24. Pretty crazy.

Why is two people needed up front in a Caravan? More than 9 passengers?

He explained in a different video that it's in the company's OpSpecs that they have 2 pilots with pax on board or when operating in a 135 capacity.

it looks like I would enjoy that type of flying, but it doesn't sound like I'd enjoy the paycheck.

He explained in a different video that it's in the company's OpSpecs that they have 2 pilots with pax on board or when operating in a 135 capacity.

No auto pilot then..??? Or is this a VFR only company?

We had to have 2 pilots up front when the A/P is not working sez Opspecs.

And why isn't the captain wearing the shoulder straps.?

Last edited:

This completely explains an acquaintance of mine, a starving artist type.

I guess I am confused...this is a young kid gaining experience. What's wrong with what he is doing?

Seems pretty cool?

No auto pilot then..??? Or is this a VFR only company?

We had to have 2 pilots up front when the A/P is not working sez Opspecs.

And why isn't the captain wearing the shoulder straps.?
Shoulder straps on for take off and landing. As soon as the positive rate, gear up call gets made the straps come off of me!

I guess I am confused...this is a young kid gaining experience. What's wrong with what he is doing?

There's nothing wrong with what he's doing, as long that you preserve that context. The question however, was posed onto a demographic that the kid doesn't belong to, and some people got butt hurt at the frank answers they got. POA standard. Frankly, I find the spiel steveokinevo peddles much more objectionable given his age, than this tweener flying around Hawaii for said kind of money.

There's nothing wrong with what he's doing, as long that you preserve that context. The question however, was posed onto a demographic that the kid doesn't belong to, and some people got butt hurt at the frank answers they got. POA standard. Frankly, I find the spiel steveokinevo peddles much more objectionable given his age, than this tweener flying around Hawaii for said kind of money.

Ohhh yes I see what your saying. Yea no I wouldn't do that as a 30 year old guy with a family, etc - which isn't me by the way :) haha

But as we all know the only fulfilling life is that of a pilot! Woo hoo!!!

Seems pretty cool?

Nothing wrong with what he is doing.

Wish I had started flying before I got out from under my parents roof.

Nothing wrong with what he is doing.

Wish I had started flying before I got out from under my parents roof.

lol I agree...I wish I was jordane's age flying jets...

Back