Logging safety pilot time

Good point. I have decided to start sitting in the back of planes and logging time as 2nd officer. I'll just watch the gages real close while the safety pilot looks outside and the PIC is looking at the flight instruments.

You can log PIC from the back seat, just be a cfi and instruct the front seat.

In fact, there can be be as many PIC's as the airplane has seats. More than one Florida flight school logs time like this:

Left front seat - Hooded pilot logging sole manipulator PIC
Right front - real PIC
left rear - CFI instructing real PIC
right rear - CFI instructing right rear CFI

You can log PIC from the back seat, just be a cfi and instruct the front seat.

In fact, there can be be as many PIC's as the airplane has seats. More than one Florida flight school logs time like this:

Left front seat - Hooded pilot logging sole manipulator PIC
Right front - real PIC
left rear - CFI instructing real PIC
right rear - CFI instructing right rear CFI

What would the back two CFI's be instructing in a Cherokee 6?

I have some real heartburn with that whole scenario. Whether or not it is legal, I wonder how effective the instructing would be.

Just log it properly and there is no issue.
Yea this. I split about 50 hours with another guy working towards his commercial license. We both needed hours so we split the cost. One of us wore the hood and the other was safety pilot. We both logged PIC time which is perfectly legal.

Hang on.....we can't consider Greg's correct answers above to be REALLY correct until Ron chimes in quoting chapter, verse, and pseudo legal Latin to make it an official answer. :nono:
OK -- 61.51(e), 61.51(f), and 91.109(c) -- and if you read them carefully, res ipsa loquitor. Happy now? :rolleyes:

I just thought that since the "safety pilot" is being compensated then he/she would be required the pro rata share. I'm sure Ron will agree with me and that's really all that matters.
You'd be wrong for the reason Greg gave -- the FAA Chief Counsel said it's not necessary for 91.109(c) safety pilots to share in the cost of the flight in order to log the time.

Last edited:
To put an "offical" bow on the rules.

A safety pilot who is a required crewmember soley as a safety pilot (excludes multi-crewmember requirements under part 135/121, etc) is not the SIC according to the FAA. As such, rules such as being Instrument Rated if operating under IFR do not apply.

Because the aircraft is type certificated for a single pilot, and because the operation does not require a designated SIC (e.g. an operation conducted under 14 c.P.R. § 135.101 which requires an SIC under IFR), Pilot B is a safety pilot and not an SIC.

That statement, however, has a footnote:
This does not preclude the safety pilot from logging time as SIC, however. See Legal Interpretation to Ted Louis Glenn, from Rebecca B. MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations (December 1,2009) (stating a pilot may log SIC time for the portion of the flight during which she was acting as safety pilot because the pilot was a required flight crewmember for that portion of the flight under § 91.1 09(b).

Just like PIC, there is a difference between being SIC and logging SIC.

It doesn't require obsession to log things according to FAA regulations and guidance.

Fine, log your safety pilot time as PIC just remember that the guy flying is considered PIC because he is sole manipulator of the controls which means that if you are also logging PIC that you are declaring yourself to be the person with "final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight".
If you are willing to do that and the guy under the hood agrees to surrender that authority to you then go ahead and log the time.​
Technically this means that if anything goes wrong during the flight that might get the FAA involved, it will be you and not the other guy who is actually flying that will be held accountable.​
If you do not accept this responsibility and the other guy does not give it to you then you can only log SIC. That is my understanding. Personally, I prefer to either log the time as SIC or not log it at all.​
Dang... now I'm obsessing.​

I'm not a fan of any of these silly logging rules.

Personally I only log PIC time when... Ahem.. "I've signed for the airplane". Yup. I said "signed for the airplane". If you don't know the term, perhaps you should learn it.

Just manipulating the controls, although legal if rated, is bugaboo.

Personally I only log PIC time when... Ahem.. "I've signed for the airplane". Yup. I said "signed for the airplane". If you don't know the term, perhaps you should learn it.

That is definitely your prerogative.

But don't disparage anyone who chooses to legally log it differently.

Just "signing for the airplane" without touching the controls, although legal if in a multi-member crew, is bugaboo. (whatever the hell "bugaboo" means, but it sounds derogatory, so I'll go with it.)

Just "signing for the airplane" without touching the controls, although legal if in a multi-member crew, is bugaboo. (whatever the hell "bugaboo" means, but it sounds derogatory, so I'll go with it.)

Not when you're a pro pilot and responsible for the decision making. Autopilots can fly an airplane. It takes a PIC to make the decisions to fly it safely.

Not when you're a pro pilot and responsible for the decision making. Autopilots can fly an airplane. It takes a PIC to make the decisions to fly it safely.

You have your opinion. However, don't mistake it for a fact, which you quite frankly seem to be doing.

You have your opinion. However, don't mistake it for a fact, which you quite frankly seem to be doing.

What's not "fact" about what Kritchlow said?

Wait. What?

Are you saying an airline pilot should not log PIC when he is not sole manipulator of the controls?

Help me understand your position here.

Wait. What?

Are you saying an airline pilot should not log PIC when he is not sole manipulator of the controls?

Help me understand your position here.

What I'm saying is that if he can be derisive about people logging PIC for being sole manipulator, I can be derisive about him logging PIC for just signing a piece of paper.

The ACTUAL rules are inclusive of both, but if you want to run down one side of it, I'll damned well run down the other side of it just for giggles.

Fine, log your safety pilot time as PIC just remember that the guy flying is considered PIC because he is sole manipulator of the controls which means that if you are also logging PIC that you are declaring yourself to be the person with "final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight".
If you are willing to do that and the guy under the hood agrees to surrender that authority to you then go ahead and log the time.​
Technically this means that if anything goes wrong during the flight that might get the FAA involved, it will be you and not the other guy who is actually flying that will be held accountable.​
If you do not accept this responsibility and the other guy does not give it to you then you can only log SIC. That is my understanding. Personally, I prefer to either log the time as SIC or not log it at all.​

I agree with you, and my safety pilot logging practice is the same as yours.

Dang... now I'm obsessing.​

The Internet has a way of doing that to us!

What's not "fact" about what Kritchlow said?

Honestly, there are algorithms that can make all the decisions that he claims can only be made by a PIC right now, and they're getting better all the time.

My take...and I'm new here.

When I go "to work" and am the seiniro capt. I am listed as the PiC for company stuff (release, flt plan, all that). I am the PIC my partner is the SIC

When I go home and fly as a CFI doing a biannual were both PIC. He is also duel recieved and I am duel given. We have each-others names in our logbooks

When / if I act as safety pilot for a friend, we are both PIC. He is flying, I am watching over things. We have each-others names in our logbooks

If I'm doing contract work in a two pilot airplane and I'm in the right seat (not signing for the aircraft) I am the SIC

If I'm doing contract work in a single pilot airplane (king air) I can log as PIC / Duel Received (if the signer of the aircraft has a current MEI), or nothing...since I'm not required to be there and didn't sign for the plane.

Last edited:
When / if I act as safety pilot for a friend, we are both PIC. He is flying, I am watching over things. We have each-others names in our logbooks.

Have you been paying attention to this thread? That may or may not be the case. PIC is NOT automatic.

I don't know the term "signed for the airplane", but then again I am not a fast study, I have only had my pilot certificate for for 48 years. Can you refer to a specific CFR 14 regulation?

OK. Is there an FAA publication where I can read about that?
there are likely many terms you won't find in publications, but I know you know that. I only wish someone published a book of common sense.

Didn't we just beat the damn 'signing for the airplane' horse to death within the last month or two????

Good gawd, make it stop!

I don't know the term "signed for the airplane", but then again I am not a fast study, I have only had my pilot certificate for for 48 years. Can you refer to a specific CFR 14 regulation?

Not sure what a "fast study" is. Can you point to the specific CFR so I know how to answer correctly?

Common sense people....

Didn't we just beat the damn 'signing for the airplane' horse to death within the last month or two????

Good gawd, make it stop!

I think yes... Perhaps two or three times.

I will continue to use the phrase as I think it is a perfectly descriptive term. If some here continue to pretend it's not, than so be it.

Not sure what a "fast study" is. Can you point to the specific CFR so I know how to answer correctly?

Common sense people....
Logging rules are what they are. They don't necessarily follow yours or someone else's common sense. If you don't want to log certain hours because you think they are "bugaboo" then don't. But other people are free to make their own judgements about that.

"Signed for the airplane" is not a official term. It's slang. Now that we have discussed it over and over, people who have read these threads are probably aware of what it means.

There's a few more, but this will get you going.

I think yes... Perhaps two or three times.

I will continue to use the phrase as I think it is a perfectly descriptive term. If some here continue to pretend it's not, than so be it.

After 26 years in Air Carrier I've signed the flight release for every flight I was PIC. When I signed that release I accepted the responsibility for the aircraft and the flight.

Fine, log your safety pilot time as PIC just remember that the guy flying is considered PIC because he is sole manipulator of the controls...
Being the sole manipulator of the controls does not automatically result in you being considered the PIC. Think of a trainee flying with an instructor, or an airline co-pilot flying his/her leg. It does, of course, permit you to log PIC time (as long as you are rated in that aircraft), but it doesn't make you the PIC and it doesn't result in you being "considered" the PIC. There are many circumstances in which someone would be the sole manipulator of the controls while flying under the hood in which it would not be possible for you to be considered PIC. Examples include a pilot who is rated in the aircraft but does not have instrument privileges, or a pilot who does not have a current medical or flight review. In both cases, the safety pilot would have to be fully PIC-qualified and acting as PIC as well as acting as safety pilot for the flight to be legal.

... which means that if you are also logging PIC that you are declaring yourself to be the person with "final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight".
Logging PIC time does not require you to be the PIC. For example, I was flying today with a PP-ASEL in his Tiger on his long IFR XC for his instrument rating. As the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft in which he is rated, he properly logged the entire flight as PIC time. OTOH, I as an authorized instructor giving him training and the only pilot in the plane qualified to be the PIC under IFR would most definitely the PIC by the FAA and the NTSB.

If you are willing to do that and the guy under the hood agrees to surrender that authority to you then go ahead and log the time.
Now that is correct -- if the safety pilot is PIC-qualified and acts as the PIC, then the safety pilot is that final authority responsible for the flight and gets to log PIC time for the entire time his/her presence is required (i.e., while the pilot flying is hooded).​
If you do not accept this responsibility and the other guy does not give it to you then you can only log SIC.
For anyone other than an instructor giving training, that is correct. But the reason the pilot flying is considered the PIC in that case is not that s/he is the sole manipulator of the controls, but rather that s/he is the final authority responsible for the flight regardless of whether s/he is manipulating the controls or not. IOW, s/he would remain the PIC even if s/he allowed the non-PIC safety pilot to manipulate the controls for part of the flight.​
The fundamental barrier to keeping all of this straight is the being the PIC and logging PIC time are different issues governed by different regulations, so there are times when you can be the PIC without being able to log PIC time, and times when you can log PIC time without being the PIC. Once you separate these two issues in your mind (which I admit isn't easy to do thanks to the FAA's insistence on using the same words "pilot in command" to describe two different things -- the person in command, and a form of aeronautical experience), it's a lot easier to understand the rules on these issues.​

Last edited:
Logging rules are what they are. They don't necessarily follow yours or someone else's common sense. If you don't want to log certain hours because you think they are "bugaboo" then don't. But other people are free to make their own judgements about that.

"Signed for the airplane" is not a official term. It's slang. Now that we have discussed it over and over, people who have read these threads are probably aware of what it means.

You and I seem to be in agreement.

My take...and I'm new here.
Welcome to the monkey house. ;)

When I go "to work" and am the seiniro capt. I am listed as the PiC for company stuff (release, flt plan, all that). I am the PIC my partner is the SIC
Sounds good to me.

When I go home and fly as a CFI doing a biannual were both PIC. He is also duel recieved and I am duel given. We have each-others names in our logbooks
You may both be logging PIC time, but only one of you is the PIC, and when an authorized instructor is giving training, the FAA and NTSB consider the instructor to be the PIC regardless of the trainee's qualifications. This is well-established in case law. However, the fact that under the regulations only one person can be the PIC at a time does not change the fact that other regulations permit two (or more) people to be logging PIC time at once. Again, as I said above, you have to separate in your mind the issues of who is the PIC (i.e., who is the final authority responsible for the flight) from who is allowed to log PIC time (which in many cases does not require you to be the PIC).

When / if I act as safety pilot for a friend, we are both PIC. He is flying, I am watching over things. We have each-others names in our logbooks
Again, only one of you can be the final authority responsible for the flight, and that one is the PIC. As discussed above, if you act as PIC for the flight, the regulations on logging allow your friend to log PIC time as the sole manipulator at the same time as you are logging PIC as the PIC when two pilots are required. However, if your friend is the final authority for the flight (i.e., acting as PIC), then only your friend can log PIC time, and you are permitted to log only SIC time. See 14 CFR 61.51(e) and (f) for details.

If I'm doing contract work in a two pilot airplane and I'm in the right seat (not signing for the aircraft) I am the SIC
That's correct -- the other pilot with final authority over the flight is the PIC, and you are SIC. Nevertheless, if you are rated in that aircraft, you can still legally log PIC time when you are the sole manipulator of the controls even though the other pilot remains the PIC.

If I'm doing contract work in a single pilot airplane (king air) I can log as PIC / Duel Received (if the signer of the aircraft has a current MEI),
Only if you are rated in that aircraft and actually flying the plane ("sole manipulator") -- and that doesn't change even if the actual PIC isn't an instructor -- see 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i). Further, that other pilot/instructor will have to sign your logbook for the training you received -- see 14 CFR 61.51(h)(2) and 14 CFR 61.189(a).

or nothing...since I'm not required to be there and didn't sign for the plane.
You can always log nothing. But then it doesn't count for anything. ;)

Last edited:
Well I did look for traffic when my friend was under the hood and I did take the flight controls at times when my pilot friend was putting on and taking off his foggles so not sure exactly how to log this. My friend did note me in his logbook as safety pilot.

Well I did look for traffic when my friend was under the hood and I did take the flight controls at times when my pilot friend was putting on and taking off his foggles so not sure exactly how to log this.
Looking for traffic while your friend was under the hood doesn't entitle you to log PIC time (that's just the expected job of a safety pilot), but if you want to log 0.1 PIC time for the couple of minutes you were the sole manipulator of the controls, go ahead -- but most folks don't bother. Most folks would just log as SIC time all the time their friend was under the hood, i.e., all the time they were acting as safety pilot.

My friend did note me in his logbook as safety pilot.
Good, because that's a regulatory requirement.

Well...we knew the he was gonna show up eventually. :yes: And do nothing more than regurgitate what had already been posted.

But of course, it is not an official answer until he chimes in.

Glad you didn't let us down, Ron!!!

Back