LiveATC

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
First time I've listened to it while doing other things at the computer. Listening to KBOS Clearance because I wanted to get more familiar with IFR clearances and such. Good night for it in Boston, as the weather is changing rapidly and some carriers are grounding their flights. Interesting that others aren't.

KBOS 222054Z 05015KT 1 1/2SM -RA BR OVC005 05/05 A2986 RMK AO2 RAE1955B22 SLP111 P0003 60003 T00500050 53012

Winds have died down before I grabbed that metar. Lotsa different accents from the pilots. Many of them screw up their radio calls as well. KBOS controllers are very accommodating, from what I'm hearing.

Things slowed down around 7-8pm when planes were being grounded.

LiveATC is fantastic. Excellent way to learn and pick up techniques. A super tool!

You should check the Youtube archive for "Boston John" to see how it's done.

United Airlines domestic flights are/were also grounded for computer IT issues

LiveATC is fantastic. Excellent way to learn and pick up techniques. A super tool!
"Checking in", "with you", "the active" plus many more. Great way to hear people use phraseology that's unnecessary too.

Saw an AA 737 overfly the airport at work and knew it was non-standard. Followed him on flightradar24 and he was flying a strange path. Found where and when he shot an approach at dfw and went to liveatc and listened for him at that time over a few frequencies. He had a flap issue. Super neat stuff.

"Checking in", "with you", "the active" plus many more. Great way to hear people use phraseology that's unnecessary too.
You got it! Free entertainment, can't beat it.

I used to listen to JFK, they had a great guy I loved listening to.

Boston is pretty busy now with the weather...

I remember having the news on in the background at my desk and they started reporting on a Southwest flight with an "Emergency"...so I dialed up LiveATC. It was amusing to listen to the doom and gloom of the media and how everyone on board could possibly die according to the experts while following them live on Flightaware...meanwhile simultaneously listening on LiveATC.com it was a non event between the pilot and ATC due to a faulty landing gear indicator and they had to go through the motions. Just shook my head at the TV at the panic they were creating.

Listening in on LAX ground during the terminal shooting a while back was interesting stuff.

I've started downloading my own radio transmissions from Live ATC. (www.liveatc.com/archive). I'm listening to hear how I might make better radio calls.

Also, I've wondered what happened in the past when there was confusion; now I go back after my flights and download the relevant portions.

Once I discovered that liveATC did not record a radio call I had made. I wondered if it was liveATC, radio or pilot error. I wondered if I should hold the mike button an extra heartbeat before and after announcing a go-around.

Once I discovered that liveATC did not record a radio call I had made. I wondered if it was liveATC, radio or pilot error. I wondered if I should hold the mike button an extra heartbeat before and after announcing a go-around.

I suspect the radios are scanning multiple frequencies.

If a scanner hears something on one frequency, and locks on, it will miss calls on other frequencies until a short time after the transmission over.

"Buzz" in ATL was a hoot, retired now. Excellent controller w/ a personality. Had a big party when he retired and a bunch of airline pilots attended.

I suspect the radios are scanning multiple frequencies.

If a scanner hears something on one frequency, and locks on, it will miss calls on other frequencies until a short time after the transmission over.

It depends on the exact installation, but you are correct that's a very common scenario. I host the feed for Oklahoma City http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kokc : OKC Approach, Tower, Ground, etc. In my setup there is a scanner that multiplexes a few of the frequencies before it feeds them to the server, but then there are also a few SDRs that each feed separate streams of an individual frequency.

I think most of the LiveATC feeds are set up with a scanner that just cycles quickly through the frequencies, so if someone is talking on Ground, for example, you won't hear Tower.

I provide the LiveATC feed for KSPG they are also a great company to work with. If you live close to an airport I highly recommend doing it.

I listen to KNEW and KMSY.
The voices are familiar to me. I listened for a long time before starting my training and twice as much after training started.

I'm surprised you heard that many clearances. Most are completed through PDC, and never verbalized.

That evening, pilots were asking for their clearances early, before ATC had them. They said they only get the clearances 30 minutes before they go active. There were a lot of flights that were trying to get out before things closed up. Also interesting to hear pilots asking for different runways because of weight limits on the runway, the ATC responding with the current atis with winds to see if they were within the planes/companies limits.

And yes, seems like a lot of them we're verbalized but were transmitted automatically. Not all, though. Next time, I'll try to write a few of them down and look up the route they were planning on taking. Many of them were a couple of steps then 'as filed' to destination.

That evening, pilots were asking for their clearances early, before ATC had them.

They print out 30' prior but a controller can type SR (strip request) it to get it printed out. At least it used to be that way.

Back