Lightspeed Zulu 1 Repair

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
As you can see in the attached picture, apparently a passenger dropped, stepped on, or otherwise "messed up" my Zulu 1 headset, and neglected to tell me about it. This is what I found when I went to replace the batteries today.

I'm not a fan of Lightspeed anymore so I really don't want to pay them to install a new control box. Does anyone know if the control box is field replaceable? If so, where can the part be bought?

Thanks!

20210731_141648[1].jpg

As you can see in the attached picture, apparently a passenger dropped, stepped on, or otherwise "messed up" my Zulu 1 headset, and neglected to tell me about it. This is what I found when I went to replace the batteries today.

I'm not a fan of Lightspeed anymore so I really don't want to pay them to install a new control box. Does anyone know if the control box is field replaceable? If so, where can the part be bought?

Thanks!

View attachment 98798
Is it just the plastics that are broken? If so, make friends with someone that has a 3D printer.

Yes...it appears it's just the plastic housing, though I didn't test the functionality. I don't know anyone with a 3d printer.

Too bad you are not a fan. $100 for a complete repair and checkup is a pretty good deal.
Agreed. It's a steal to make the headset as good as new. I am sure others have legitimate issues, but I found their customer service to be great.

Too bad you are not a fan. $100 for a complete repair and checkup is a pretty good deal.

When was the last time you were quoted that price? I called Lightspeed with an issue several years ago, and the flat-rate for a repair on a factory defect (out of warranty) was $200, IIRC.

When was the last time you were quoted that price? I called Lightspeed with an issue several years ago, and the flat-rate for a repair on a factory defect (out of warranty) was $200, IIRC.
In 2019, I had a Zulu 1 refurbished for $100 and a Zulu 2 converted to Zulu 3 for $300.

According to the "out of warranty repair" video on their website, the flat rate is $175.

lightspeed repair cost.png

In 2019, I had a Zulu 1 refurbished for $100 and a Zulu 2 converted to Zulu 3 for $300.
Mine was similar. My last $100 repair was maybe 4 or 5 years ago when the converted a helicopter set I mistakenly bought. Second was the $300 deal when they converted the same headset to a Zulu 3 with updated warranty.

Last edited:
According to the "out of warranty repair" video on their website, the flat rate is $175.

View attachment 98802
No surprise the flat rate has gone up. Still a decent deal after a 5 or 7 year warranty period and a better deal than many others. The reason I bought a Lightspeed to begin with was an out-of-warranty quote I got on my Telex.

At The lightspeed booth they said parts are getting thin on the lightspeed 1. The 100 deal sounds perfect for a great headset.

At The lightspeed booth they said parts are getting thin on the lightspeed 1. The 100 deal sounds perfect for a great headset.

I just got off the phone with Lightspeed. They no longer service the Zulu 1. They offered me a $200 discount on a Zulu 3.

Is there anyone out on the Interwebs who fixes these things, or am I stuck with buying a new one?

I just got off the phone with Lightspeed. They no longer service the Zulu 1. They offered me a $200 discount on a Zulu 3.

Is there anyone out on the Interwebs who fixes these things, or am I stuck with buying a new one?
I suspect that any shop capable of doing it will charge more. But I understand that Lightspeed dropping support for a model is about lack of parts.

I suspect that any shop capable of doing it will charge more. But I understand that Lightspeed dropping support for a model is about lack of parts.

Even with the discount, a new Zulu 3 will cost me $650. I'm looking for a way to fix this one at a fraction of that.

Your best bet might be to find someone with the broken headset and good controller and graft them together.

otherwise, @pigpenracing typically has some for sale. I’m a happy customer

I have had many, many sets of lightspeed over the years. their customer service has always been exceptional. many years ago my kids would step on them and break them and I would send them in expecting to pay a repair bill since it wasn't their fault. nope! no charge. i insisted that it was NOT their fault and bill me however they would not charge me (more than once). the last issue I had with my headset I sent it in and they came back looking like new for a reasonable price. for $100-$200.00 to get them looking new again I would go that route.

for $100-$200.00 to get them looking new again I would go that route.

Lightspeed informed me that they are no longer servicing the original Zulu. I either have to figure out a way to fix it myself, or bite the bullet and buy a new headset.

Thanks!

View attachment 98798
Looks like a job for duct tape . . .

I second the suggestion to reach out to pigpen racing. He probably has some parts you can use.

The part / body that broke can’t be that different from a Zulu 2 non Bluetooth.

Ask Lightspeed if they’d just sell you the part. Break out the soldering iron - couldn’t take more than 1/2 hour

What would it hurt to stabilize it in a vice or other jig and put a blob of Epoxy on it? It might not look great, but it would be fine for a backup/spare headset.

Do you have all of the pieces?

Ask Lightspeed if they’d just sell you the part. Break out the soldering iron - couldn’t take more than 1/2 hour

I actually had a friend who lives in Lake Oswego go to Lightspeed HQ to see if he could buy the part. He was turned away empty handed.

What would it hurt to stabilize it in a vice or other jig and put a blob of Epoxy on it? It might not look great, but it would be fine for a backup/spare headset.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

That's been my back-up plan all along. At worst it doesn't work, and I'm no worse position that I am now. At best, it works, and the headset can be used as a back-up. I've been debating between epoxy and resin, but the idea is the same.

In this day and age, one would think Lightspeed would be able to 3D print all its plastic parts.

Well shoot - My suggestions aren’t working out here.

Maybe if you go the epoxy route get some stiff fiberglass lattice - like the small sheets they sell at Home Depot for drywall repair. Use epoxy like drywall mud.

JBWeld can even be sanded and snapped a bit after it dries.

Well shoot - My suggestions aren’t working out here.

Maybe if you go the epoxy route get some stiff fiberglass lattice - like the small sheets they sell at Home Depot for drywall repair. Use epoxy like drywall mud.

JBWeld can even be sanded and snapped a bit after it dries.

Traditional JB Weld is sometimes tough to work with. I was thinking resin might be easier to shape and sand once it hardens.

Last edited:
I've used it as well as the traditional JB Weld in the tubes. The putty is going to be like modeling clay Not spreadable with a knife. After you squeeze the two parts of the putty together, you've got a few minutes before it turns hard.

I've used it as well as the traditional JB Weld in the tubes. The putty is going to be like modeling clay Not spreadable with a knife. After you squeeze the two parts of the putty together, you've got a few minutes before it turns hard.

Your timing is impeccable. Amazon delivered the putty an hour ago, and about 10 minutes before your post I put on the first layer of the putty. I'm going to do a few thin layers to give each layer time to really harden. Then I'll shape it with my Dremel. Stay tuned...

I too had a good experience with Lightspeed customer service. I had a set of two year old ZULU 3s that looked like a clear coat peeling away on the stirrup that holds the earpiece on one side. I sent them in and they came back looking like new including new ear seals, head pad and mic muff. They also returned the old soft parts to me (they were still in good condition) so I now have spares. The only down side was that I was without the headset for a couple of weeks while waiting for them to do their thing and ship them back.

Your timing is impeccable. Amazon delivered the putty an hour ago, and about 10 minutes before your post I put on the first layer of the putty. I'm going to do a few thin layers to give each layer time to really harden. Then I'll shape it with my Dremel. Stay tuned...
How is it looking? Pics?

Back