License Plate Frames

Do you use license plate frames on your vehicle?

• Yes and mine are engraved with nekkid wimmen eating cole slaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even my airplane N number has a license plate frame

• I collect them

• Receiving them at Christmas is like getting another tie. Worse actually

• Total voters
Not for the most part, on my classic car I have a very thin SS one with no engravings or anything, matches the chrome bumper

I don't have one, but I think my wife's got a "I'd rather be flying my Navion" frame on her Audi.

Normally I don't, but we do have one:

ratherbeflying.jpg

Note that it's on the boat trailer. ;)

I have a plain black one. The raw edges of the plate look out of place on the car. I have no interest in putting a message on the frame. The license plate, I'm OK with a message there.
LicensePlateWeb.jpg

I have a license plate frame that says "I'd rather be flying" along with an EAA sticker on my back glass. :D

Last edited:
I used to have the "I'd Rather Be Fying", now I have one of these on the truck. Well, I did. Think my wife stole it, probably threw it out.

upload_2017-3-7_16-34-3.png

Last edited:
I don't use one, but I've been tempted to get a personalized plate that says "1LEFIT" and pair it with super thick frame that matches the plate background.

(hint: imagine that tag in block letters then imagine the super thick frame blocking the bottom serifs)

Anyone remember these back in the 80s I think? There was one for Semi-Native too.

upload_2017-3-7_16-36-23.png

Wellllll I was TDY to Patrick AFB and found one with the same scheme that said "Who Cares". Everyone I worked with said yup, that's you exactly!

Last edited:
I left the dealer frame on my Subaru. But it says Mercedes.....

I had a shop put their frame on my car without asking. No, I dont want to advertise for your shop, take those things off.

That would get you a citation here in Arizona. It's illegal for the frame to cover the state name. Really.

What stinks is when a dealer puts its sticker on the painted surface of the back of the car -- it's there for the life of the car. A lot of dealers in these parts do that, and I won't patronize them. Period.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Depends on the car, but most of the time I don't see any reason for them.

Like a previous poster i have a simple black one, just to clean up the look of the plate, the one on my harley is a teensy bit more stylish though

Ive never had one. But when I bought my plane, a few weeks later the owner sent me one without telling me it was coming. It says "I'd rather be flying my piper". So I proudly use it and of course the EAA sticker on the back glass. Stickers make vehicles faster you know. Look at nascar!

Have one on the wife's Honda CRV " I'd rather be building my Airplane " Window sticker on my ole work car " Caution This vehicle stops at all airports "

That would get you a citation here in Arizona. It's illegal for the frame to cover the state name. Really.

What stinks is when a dealer puts its sticker on the painted surface of the back of the car -- it's there for the life of the car. A lot of dealers in these parts do that, and I won't patronize them. Period.

I've peeled a number of those stick on vinyl dealer IDs off of cars we have bought, never had any problems with them taking the paint off. If it's cold, you may want to use a hair dryer to help soften them up. Usually some glue remains, but you can get that off with adhesive remover or mineral spirits.

A big mistake is when people put those large bumper stickers on paint and leave them on for a year or more. Those usually do take the paint with when they're removed

What stinks is when a dealer puts its sticker on the painted surface of the back of the car -- it's there for the life of the car.

Or maybe until you warm it up with a hair dryer.

There's a reason you don't see older cars with a proliferation of dealer stickers that accumulated permanently each time the car was sold.

I have not had any trouble removing the dealer stickers. Pretty easy to get off clear coat.

A friend has his shop fridge covered with dealer stickers.

I always get rid of the dealer frames. Why advertise for them?

My work car has "Nothing Runs like a Deere" frame. Our company has them on all of our vehicles. You probably figured out what business I'm in.

I got my wife a custom frame that says "I'd rather be making wine". I guess you know what she does for a living.

Sure, I'll let the dealer leave an advertising sticker on something I buy from them. Just knock 10 grand off the price. I figure I'll keep a truck for 15 years or so and he can figure that the ad is worth a few grand a year, plus an annual cost of living adjustment.

I always get rid of the dealer frames. Why advertise for them?

My work car has "Nothing Runs like a Deere" frame. Our company has them on all of our vehicles. You probably figured out what business I'm in.

I got my wife a custom frame that says "I'd rather be making wine". I guess you know what she does for a living.

That's my attitude.

A simple "I'd Rather Be Flying" frame on my truck. No dealer emblems, bumper or window stickers. I have this one on the front.

Av8r-300x300.jpg

I always remove the default dealer advertising frame. My granddaughter gave me an "I'd Rather Be Flying" plate for Christmas, and insisted on helping me install it. Then she told me "Don't forget to take it off if you sell the car."
So there it is, and there it stays until I croak.
Or longer.
I probably have to be cremated now, otherwise she'll attach it to my coffin.

I'd Rather Be Making Wine :D

I don't understand people who have the dealer frame on their car. Sure, when you first buy the car and still have the temp tags, but you have to take off the dealer's frame to put the license plate on, why do people put the dealer frame back on?

Saw one, "Armed Infidel" on top, same in Arabic along the bottom.

Decals with "family" stick figures, vanity plates, political candidates, etc., not things of interest for me to display, and no interest in other's, either. . .

Some states, the dealer needs your permission to paint/afix their name; probably not an issue with the plate frames.

I don't understand people who have the dealer frame on their car. Sure, when you first buy the car and still have the temp tags, but you have to take off the dealer's frame to put the license plate on, why do people put the dealer frame back on?

I have driven off the lot with permanent license plates immediately after taking delivery of a car on two separate occasions (happened to be in different states as well).

An AMC Pacer isn’t exactly what most people think of when someone refers to their “classic car.”

Yeah nope

I'm talking late 60s with center knock off wheels

when a dealer puts its sticker on

There is a local dealer here who will not let a car off the lot without their upload_2017-12-28_7-50-55.png. Seen them kill a deal because customer demanded it not be put on their new car...

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-28_7-50-36.png
    upload_2017-12-28_7-50-36.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 12
When my wife got her new car, she got herself a Philadelphia Eagles one, so of course I had to respond with one that said 4 time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots! That one needs to be replaced, but I probably should wait until February. :)

Last edited:
Back