License Plate Frames

Do you use license plate frames on your vehicle?

• Yes and mine are engraved with nekkid wimmen eating cole slaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even my airplane N number has a license plate frame

• I collect them

• Receiving them at Christmas is like getting another tie. Worse actually

• Total voters
%<snip>% My work car has "Nothing Runs like a Deere" frame. Our company has them on all of our vehicles. You probably figured out what business I'm in.
Kubota mechanic?

%<snip>% I got my wife a custom frame that says "I'd rather be making wine". I guess you know what she does for a living.
Cheese maker?

There is a local dealer here who will not let a car off the lot without their View attachment 58805. Seen them kill a deal because customer demanded it not be put on their new car...

I'm fine with them not taking my money. There's more than one place to buy a car, even out here in the boonies. There's always someone willing to sell what you want to buy.

There is a local dealer here who will not let a car off the lot without their View attachment 58805. Seen them kill a deal because customer demanded it not be put on their new car...

I don't mind driving off the lot with their license plate frame (i.e. something easily removable), but not happy about a sticker. When I bought my new Ram a few months ago (sight unseen) they had a front plate on from them and two stickers. The stickers were new and easily peeled off so I didn't make a big deal about it and just peeled them off. If I was buying it new from a local dealer I'd make it clear that none of their badging would be on the vehicle.

When my grandmother bought her last new car (1990 Ford Taurus) the dealer did the old fashioned "punch a hole in the trunk lid" advertisement label. I would not have been happy about it but she seemed to accept it. Fortunately these days the stickers usually come off easily, although there's one dealer local to me that seems to still do the ones that require punching a hole in the vehicle.

Yea..that star is held on with three screws (holes) thru the trunk or somewhere on the rear of the car..

I would walk on that deal, too.

My cousin’s friend’s sister has a Gucci purse that she says is a knockoff but looks like the real thing. Kind of like that? ;)

I've been tasked with bringing those back from Hong Kong.

I don't use one, but I've been tempted to get a personalized plate that says "1LEFIT" and pair it with super thick frame that matches the plate background.

(hint: imagine that tag in block letters then imagine the super thick frame blocking the bottom serifs)
I suspect I'm going to feel dumb but, I don't get it. 1IFFIT?

.....and me (and I?).

I have driven off the lot with permanent license plates immediately after taking delivery of a car on two separate occasions (happened to be in different states as well).
I'm only familiar with Colorado, I didn't realize some states don't use temp tags for a purchase from a dealer.

I don't use one, but I've been tempted to get a personalized plate that says "1LEFIT" and pair it with super thick frame that matches the plate background.

(hint: imagine that tag in block letters then imagine the super thick frame blocking the bottom serifs)

Uh.... what? No one would get it, from the sounds of things around here, and we're pilots, so we're really (REALLY) smart. {No one here gets it yet.}

Uh.... what? No one would get it, from the sounds of things around here, and we're pilots, so we're really (REALLY) smart. {No one here gets it yet.}
The only thing certain is that the poster doesn’t know what a serif is if they think a license plate frame can only block the serifs.

In NC, there's a law that says any frame cannot cover anything on the plate. Very, very few people who make a frame that complies with that.

When my grandmother bought her last new car (1990 Ford Taurus) the dealer did the old fashioned "punch a hole in the trunk lid" advertisement label.

If a dealer did that before I cut the check then I'd be out the door. If they did it after then I'd have them arrested for vandalism.

I don't understand people who have the dealer frame on their car. Sure, when you first buy the car and still have the temp tags, but you have to take off the dealer's frame to put the license plate on, why do people put the dealer frame back on?

On one car, they put it on when I bought it and the first thing I did when I got home was take them off. Then I took it in for the first oil change (free) and they put another one on, which I removed as soon as I got home. Then there was a warranty repair... Lather, rinse, repeat.

On one car, they put it on when I bought it and the first thing I did when I got home was take them off. Then I took it in for the first oil change (free) and they put another one on, which I removed as soon as I got home. Then there was a warranty repair... Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have the same problem with the stupid oil change reminder stickers on the windshield. I always ask them to not put one on (because I can tell when my mileage is a multiple of 5000), and I always peel it off and leave it in their parking lot . . . .

I have the same problem with the stupid oil change reminder stickers on the windshield. I always ask them to not put one on (because I can tell when my mileage is a multiple of 5000), and I always peel it off and leave it in their parking lot . . . .

Same here.

In KS we don't have tags on the front, so many vehicles don't even have a bracket on the front bumper. A few years ago something fell off the back of a landscape trailer and punched a nice hole in the front bumper cover of one of our cars... right where a license plate would be. We couldn't get the info of the crew or company that belonged to whatever fell off the back of the trailer, so now that car has a dummy license plate on the front bumper.

I should get a frame that says #2 Dad.

In KS we don't have tags on the front, so many vehicles don't even have a bracket on the front bumper.
I once had a car that had no bracket on the front bumper, but Colorado requires a front license plate. In my lazy way, I put the front license plate in the trunk in case someone asked, and drove it that way for nine years. No one ever said a thing. My next car had a front bracket.

We bought our car from a dealer that is part of a chain that uses pink license frames. It's nice that they contribute to cancer charities, but that pink frame was replaced on our car by a thin, generic chrome one as soon as the permanent plate arrived.

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 11.42.26 AM.png

My X3 rear frame is for the ski patrol where I used to work on in Indiana. I leave it on for the ski season when I’m living and skiing in Steamboat Springs.

The car didn’t initially come with a front bracket. A front plate is required in Ohio but no citation so far after a year. The front plate (and bracket) is in the back of the in the underfloor storage in case I get stopped.

Cheers

I have a huge used dealer sticker that’s horribly crooked. Unfortunately, the sticker has been on long enough to have protected the original paint color.

My next car will be sans dealer sticker. However, it will have the required Subie owner applied stickers! :D

Also my new license plate will read: V1 UHOH

The car didn’t initially come with a front bracket. A front plate is required in Ohio but no citation so far after a year. The front plate (and bracket) is in the back of the in the underfloor storage in case I get stopped.

The law in Ohio as I recall reading it is they give you 2 plates, but technically the front isn't required. I didn't run a front plate on any of my vehicles in Ohio in the 3 years we lived there (nor my wife's vehicles) and we never had any issues. A cop once mentioned it when he was stopping my wife for passing through a bad neighborhood in her BMW (a stop that should've resulted in the office receiving disciplinary action, but that's another matter) however when she questioned him, he admitted that she didn't legally need that plate.

Some states, like New York and Virginia, do require the front plate. However the experiences I've had in those situations are similar to what @Everskyward noted in Colorado, nobody cares. Also if you drive out of state, then the cops don't know (and don't have jurisdiction) over whether you should have 1 or 2 plates.

Ted, the Ohio front plate is required if you are issued one according to:

Ohio Revised Code 4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

That said, when I was stopped maybe ten years ago for something else I don't recall and after the front one had fallen off in a snow bank, all I got was a warning to get it replaced within 30 days IIRC. Not something I really worry about.

Cheers

When I lived in Columbus, another Southerner tranferred up from SC. After a couple of years, we were talking about tags, and she said she had only been given one by the BMV. A quick check showed that both plates were bolted onto the back of her car . . . .

Back